Dragon Age: Inquisition - Mantle Unplayable

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jaju123, Nov 18, 2014.

1. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    With my crossfire cards, mantle has so many CPU spikes every 1-2 seconds that it is completely unplayable, whereas DX11 is completely fine. SORT OUT YOUR POOP AMD please... it's better in BF4 but the memory leak there makes it SO unplayable AGAIN.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Also, between the lag spikes making it unplayable, vram usage is about 700mb higher with mantle on high for me, pushing it well above the 2gb mark.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    driver version?

in-game settings?

new dirver. 14.11.2, give it a shot.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    tried 14.11.2, made no difference for me. Mantle is slower, uses more VRAM and the loading times are much worse. Very odd.

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Maybe try disabling crossfire until there is an update. I have heard single card runs it pretty good.

6. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Yep I was on 14.11.1. I always use the latest drivers as with most people on here I presume.

7. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    same situation with a single card. Weirdly enough, the built-in benchmark runs better in Mantle under certain circumstances. Very frustrating though.

8. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
  9. Scout

Scout Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    Mantle never worked properly on my system and with DA-I isn't any different, dx 11 works fine even at ultra settings with crossfire on..

With mantle my second gpu is spiking from 0 to 100 every time while the main one is stuck at 60% usage

10. sirbeer

sirbeer Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    I cant even run the game with mantle. Whenever i enable Fullscreen i get an error:

"Mantle function "grCreateImage(
    g_mantleRenderer->getDevice(deviceIt), &imageInfo, &device.image)"
    failed with GR_ERROR_INVALID_VALUE. GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 7970M"
    (26624), Driver: 188743680

When i try to run the game in windowed mode, i can enter the main menu, but the game crashes when i start a new game or run the benchmark.. Works fine in DX11, but the FPS isnt that great.

I am running the latest 14.11.2 Beta on a single 7970M

ugh...

11. Eesi

Eesi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 H2O
    on beta 14.11.2 i got a difference of 17fps avg and min to dx11. it`s a shame that it performs that awful. but there`s less shadow flickering compared to dx11. anyway cinematics also are a stuttery mess using mantle. amd needs to fix that or if they didn`t already they need to get that patch out very soon. nvidia has already optimized their drivers and made amd come up the short end of the stick...

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It could be down to the new anti-tamper system they used. It's supposed to be resource heavy and surely has to effect in-game performance.

13. Eesi

Eesi Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 H2O
    But why isn't it hitting Dx11 that hard? I mean this ought to be a mantle title

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Can't say for sure, Mantle is still in early stages so it takes a few drivers and patches to get things working right. AMD's driver team seem very lazy, there's so much they could do to get the most out of our cards, but hold back on every level. I was shocked when Mantle was announced for all GCN cards, but look what NVIDIA users get all the time. AMD need to wake up.
    I'm not saying we need all these proprietary features that NVIDIA are making up, as that would fragment things even more, just simple things like CCC downsampling support, and CCC in general needs a complete overhaul.

15. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    The early stages of Mantle are really long. Maybe some weeks before DX12 it'll work great.

16. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9-290X
    So far Mantle seems to be performing pretty well for me(R9-290X, Cat 14.11.2, uninstalled previous drivers with DDU), though I haven't done a lot of comparing to DX11 within the game. When it comes to Crossfire under Mantle, keep in mind that the application controls multi-gpu behavior more than under DX11(that's why you can't create your own Crossfire profiles for Mantle in CCC), so it's not just a matter of AMD putting a better Crossfire profile in the driver. Firaxis used this level of control in Civ:Beyond Earth to use a form of split-frame rendering instead of the usual alternate-frame rendering when running in Mantle, for example. Bioware has to tell the Mantle codepath how to handle multiple gpu's in the most efficient way possible. Not to say there aren't optimizations to be found in the driver, but with Mantle giving more control to the game developers it's also giving them more of the responsibility.

Plus I think it's worth noting that AMD had Day 1 drivers ready for AC:Unity, Far Cry 4 AND Dragon Age Inquisition, and I'm pretty sure they had drivers ready either on or very soon after the release of Civ:BE, containing Crossfire & other performance optimizations. That's quite a bit more responsive than they used to be.

17. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    No it doesn't.

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It isn't? Alright.

19. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Why AMD sort it out? You should be asking the Devs that question.. AMD do not build the game.

People really need to get there facts straight.

20. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Game runs smooth(60+fps) in Mantle for me. Really good game so far.