Latest Windows 8 updates break tiles?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Beez, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    Just installed a whole bunch of Windows 8 updates and my live tiles are broken. You can click on them from the start menu such as the mail, weather, news tiles etc. they load to the desktop but then they minimise to the taskbar.
    Clicking on the icon on the taskbar makes the app flash to full screen but then immediately minimise to the taskbar again.

All my other apps work, Photoshop, Firefox etc. it just appears to be the Windows 8 tile based apps. Any one else having this issue and have found a fix?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Still working here

3. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    Thanks for the reply. It's weird they were working fine this morning had about twenty updates to install and now the tiles are broken :( Guess I'm going to have to uninstall the updates one by one.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Unlikely to fix it by uninstalling updates if others who installed the same updates are not affected

More likely to be something corrupted - try an sfc /scannow

5. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    Thanks again, just scanned the drive and it's fine. Tiles are still broken though. Managed to get the store tile to work using this fix:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ouc1too/...app-store-doesn-t-load-after-8-1-upgrade.aspx

But all the other tiles are still not going fullscreen, mail, weather, news, calendar, calculator, and even the skype app/tile. First problem I've ever had with Windows 8 since launch.

They were working 10 mins before installing these updates so it just seems a little suspicious.

6. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    O.K this is weird, I've got it working again after uninstalling a security update for Office 2007!! I just reinstalled Office a few weeks back for an assignment as Open Office has a few bugs with Impress, so the Office 2007 updates have been trickling through for a while, didn't think an update for office would have such an effect on Windows 8 though...old software I know, so kind of my fault ish!

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Weird, good you figured it out though - you should let MS know, they might be able to sort it

Maybe time to update to Office 2010/2013 ?

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    uninstall them and reinstall, but first you can try this: go to store >> open up settings, app updates and sync applications, check for its updates.

Edit: ah you got it fixed, good.

9. Beez

Beez Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 GTX 4Gb
    Hey, thanks Extraordinary. I know right, it's odd! I only needed Office for a Powerpoint assignment as Open Offices' version (Impress) is bugged. Other than that Open Office is O.K for what I need and free, so I'll probably just uninstall MS Office completely.
    I doubt MS are that bothered about getting 2007 to work with Win8, it was a strange glitch though so I might let them know.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Mine are working fine and I also have Office 2007 installed and updated in Windows 8.1. I only use Word, Excel, and Outlook though.

11. cutesunita21

cutesunita21 Guest

GPU:
    2GB
    Mine are working too.