need a double microphone jack (two mics through 1 jack)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by CPC_RedDawn, Oct 31, 2014.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Is this possible?

I can't seem to fine a cable that has a single 3.5mm microphone jack to two female microphone jacks.

Something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap...858&sr=8-3&keywords=double+microphone+adapter

So I could connect TWO of these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-3-...17&sr=8-4&keywords=microphone#productDetails]

But this is a single jack to a headset and mic jack. I need two microphone jacks. So I can connect two headsets through one microphone jack and get two different voices.

Was also looking at this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Virtual-Cha...4943&sr=8-14&keywords=microphone+double+cable

But it is USB? Would this still work even though I have a sound card?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That first link you gave, that cable looks nasty. Look how thin the cabling is, it looks like the weight of a cable and plug plugged into it will break it! You can still get decent splitters like that, doesn't have to be specific microphone ones. I guess you could have a stereo --> mono adaptor plugged into it.

I'm not even sure if two microphones plugged into the same cable will work properly though, due to interference etc.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D Amusingly I just Googled your thread title "double microphone jack" lol

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    excellent, I searched amazon but that didnt come up

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was going to suggest making one if I couldn't find one, that's the sorta thing I used to do all the time when I was younger, if I didn't have a lead, Id make one from a few I had lying around, still do it sometimes

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I wouldn't even know where to start mate lol

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Match wire colours and connect earth to earth, job done lol :)

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    knowing me I would get a nice shock LOL thank anyway mate that should work perfectly :)

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, no bother :)

12. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was thinking something like that, but keep in mind that cable is specifically designed as a splitter cable for audio, it's not a Microphone joiner :). It just turns out that in reverse you could use it as such (if the microphones don't interfere with each other).

Keep in mind the plug, as shown in the picture, is a stereo plug and this is because like I said, it's an audio splitter! It's possible that only one side will work unless you sort of not have it plugged in properly...

Now, if you are using it specifically on your computer where the plugs can be switched around, it could possibly work, and not interfere with each other, if the logic inside the audio chip is designed for dual microphones. This is because it would work like a stereo plug, with one part of that stereo plug being the left channel, and the other the right (first and second microphone). The microphones won't interfere with each other since they get their own channel. This is why the stereo plug has three sections to it. One is the left channel, one is the right, and one is the earth (used for both channels).

HOWEVER, if it is a traditional microphone socket, or the codec logic on your computer actually treats it as per 'spec' it will only be monaural. On a recording device the plug will be monaural, and you will get interference, on a computer, if following 'spec' it would treat the stereo plug as mono and only the left channel will work. If you then try and use both the channels together they will interfere.

I hope that makes sense!

An even better search term to use would simply be:
    audio splitter

The inclusion of the word 'microphone' in the other listings is a sale point only, it does not mean they are any better for the job that any other audio splitter out there.

Here is a much better quality looking cable:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-3-5mm-...qid=1414812510&sr=1-3&keywords=audio+splitter

It would be a good idea to get a quality cable like that supposedly is, the ones linked earlier looked completely nasty. I don't think it would take too much for them to not work anymore. Like I said earlier though, if you get this one, or another audio splitter thing and it doesn't work, keep what I said above about the splitting in mind.

Okay, now to complicate things, this is a proper true microphone and audio splitter that is only beneficial as such in certain circumstances:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-co...id=1414812510&sr=1-22&keywords=audio+splitter

That cable would NOT be suitable, since it's only single microphone :).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ^^ some good tips :)

Yea I know what you mean about not pushing the jack in fully in order to get both sides working, can't remember when I've had to do that, but I do remember doing it, possibly using an old Mono lead for PC to LCD speakers or something

The microphones CPC linked to saying they were they ones he wanted to connect, have stereo jacks though, so shouldn't be a problem