Toshiba Adds HDD Offerings with 4TB and 5TB Models

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Toshiba's Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today introduced 4TB and 5TB1 capacities of the Toshiba Desktop 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Serial...

Toshiba Adds HDD Offerings with 4TB and 5TB Models

2. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Meh, i'm happy to wait another 2-3 years for the SSD's to catch up in capasity. No more clunky drives for me.

3. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    For storage they are awesome. At least you can get some data out of them when they fail.

4. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Hmm more like 5 to 7years catch up in capacity as 1TB set you back a cool $400+ vs $60 in the same size old school harddrive.

SSD vs. HDD: Performance and Reliability
    SSD has Performance but not Reliability
    HDD has Reliability but not Performance
    Let keep in mind that when SSD Fails it next to impossible to recovery any of the data, So as rule you should always backup to standard old school drive with SSD or with SSD go Raid and keep a some extra drive on hand.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Good to hear old school storage is becoming bigger and affordable.
    I don't think i will see anytime soon a viable method to really recover data from a SSD.
    When i mean recover,i mean cases when damage is on the hardware side,not software.Even so,SSD are the biggest fear of those whom recover data for a living.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Are these the Toshiba MD04ACA400 (4 TB, AUS$189 etc) and MD04ACA500 (5 TB, AUS$259 etc) drives that have been available for a while now?

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    SSD has Performance but not Reliability -> somehow agree
    HDD has Reliability but not Performance -> not agree

HDD is not more reliable compared to SSD, imo HDD-SSD is similar
    if u read about SSD endurance and also consumer based review
    so far SSD failure rate is low, some brands might have high failure, but like intel SSD failure rate is low

HDD is wearing fast, well depends on work loads indeed
    like notebook hdd, there lots failure after 2-3years of normal usage

indeed HDD is recoverable incase of failure...
    if that board issue u can simply replace with the same board (same batch), but if it head issue, it will cost u lots
    and if the head scratch the magnetic disk, it wont possible to recover the data on it either

while SSD still quite new and not much data enough to conclude everything
    but based my own experience, for reliability i trust SSD more than HDD
    NAND chip is more stable, than rotating magnetic plater

8. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i think that for NA region or something like that
    other area my already have it on store for a while
    MG04ACA500E [5TB SATA600 7200] -> this on sale since like mid feb 2014 in japan

9. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    How do fig that after they are more Reliability when come to recoverable of your data.
    Even if it was head scratch of the magnetic disk that because he or she is dropping there laptop and even those are recoverable to.

I'm ref to being recoverable, After all, All it take is power strike and say good bye SSD data even loss of the partition is some time un-recovery and other thing

I don't know about that ever laptop I ever own it always damn CPU or Motherboard or Monitor that goes out first but I do just Love SSD in them make world diff in boot time in my old Dell 1440 and re-used the old standard drive as backup source just in case I have another SSD fail got love the some early OCZ carp which now has a SanDisk.

It possible just not shattered platters 95% of time it caused by user dropping it

Yes SSD are getting better but unless 100% recoverable depend on type of scenarios then it not reliability in book jee I got 20 year old CD-R that are more reliability then SSD as the old say never put all your eggs in one basket hehe

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  10. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Given that HDD prices still haven't descended below pre-flood levels, I refuse to pay for what is clearly a case of price fixing on pure principle. It's been over three years now and HDDs still cost more per gigabyte. What's really sad is that when or rather if HDD manufacturers get prosecuted, they'll just get a slap on the wrist like RAM fixers did back in the time.

In the meantime, I can always delete stuff from my current drives if I need room.

11. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Need to say the cost thing have gone up not down so I don't think you see those old prices before the pre-flood levels and fact there very few Manufacturers left as most are odd balls that just buy from the big manufacturers any way which only surviving manufacturers Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital the rest is a merged subsidiary brand.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You can't compare notebook HDD's and desktop HDD's, although I do agree with what you said about the failure. Remember laptop HDD's aren't the same as desktop HDD's, they come in a different form factor and are more expensive. They are potentially knocked around a bit with transportation of the laptop, and they can get exposed to considerable heat from the laptop which is probably their biggest killer. Some laptops can get quite hot to touch on the bottom despite the case effectively partially insulating the user (hotter on the inside than it feels). This heat is most likely transferred directly to the HDD!. Despite claims over the years, I still go by the mantra a cool HDD is a happy HDD :)

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    + With the amount of failures I see at work I get the feeling that HDD'ss in pre-built systems are often from worser batches or w/e.

I dunno, feels weird. I see HDD's from all kinds of brands fail whereas the ones we placed afterwards just keep going strong for years.