Nvidia to reveal GeForce GTX 970/980 with 8GB of memory in Nov. or Dec - Rumor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Whiplashwang, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/nvidia-to-reveal-geforce-gtx-970980-with-8gb-of-memory-in-november-of-december/

If true I'm glad I'm RMAing my GTX 970 for a refund. One thing I've noticed with the current games coming out, which are designed for the now current gen consoles, is that developers are getting really lazy with how they optimize their games. Lords of the Fallen at 1080p uses 3.5GB VRAM, Shadow of Mordor uses all 4gigs with ultra textures enabled. Now combine that with downsampling from 4K or WQHD and you're already maxing your vram! I even noticed slight hitching in SoM when textures were on Ultra.

Now I really like the gigabyte GTX 970: the silence, the speed, the temperature. Pretty much everything except only having 4 gigs of VRAM. So when the new cards are released, I'll be picking up the 8GB GTX 970 G1!

What are your thoughts on this?

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I just hope they're out in time before my stepup runs out with EVGA.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    of course double vram cards are coming out, they always do, you are going to need 3 or 4 to make use of all that vram as you are going to run out of gpu power way before vram.

4. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    ^ Very true, but 8GB is still better than 4GB even though it will probably never be reached in the cards lifetime. IMHO the initial release of the Maxwell GPUs should've had at least 6GB of vram to begin with.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    6 is not possible with a 256 bit interface. Titans and 6 gb 780 did not have enough gpu power to fully utilize that much vram. I know if my cards had 6gb of vram I would run out of gpu power way before vram. Unless you want to buy 3 or 4 cards or want to play modded skyrim or minecraft and a couple other very few exceptions, they are pretty much a money making scam. I had 2 680 ftw+ 4gb cards and the framerate crumpled well below 60fps loading up that much vram. By the time you truly need 8gb of vram these cards will be very old and not able to cope.

6. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Well I usually only upgrade my GPU every two years and I don't want to be maxing out my VRAM right after I purchase a new video card. So even if I never reach the 8GBs, at least I'll have some more space for modded games and to get up to maybe 6GBs with new games coming out.

Plus it also depends on price. If Nvidia decides to charge outrageous prices for the 8GB cards then I may skip this generation altogether.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    3 and 4 GB is fine for 1080/1440p. in both cases, you'll be running out of gpu grunt well before vram in 90%+ cases. if double ram costs 10% premium, sure, why not. But if someone tries to make it a deal breaker and a must have thing, I'm going to hunt you down and cut your balls off. That is all.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    ^ Wow, dude! Violent... Anywho the reason I want more VRAM is because I don't know how these next gen games are going to be with their requirements. Currently every new next gen game that has come out this year has increased their recommended specs for their games and some have the option for ultra textures. With that enabled as well as TXAA 4X I've already maxed out the vram and now it depends on how well the developer's game engine runs and how well it streams textures.

So far Watch Dogs was ****, SoM already maxes out and lords of the fallen is close to 4gigs. Like I said before when I purchase a new GPU it has to be somewhat future proof for about 2 years. If I'm maxing vram usage now with all next gen titles (some of which don't even look that great), then there's a problem.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you mean Mordor that ran better on 3gb cards than on 6gb cards and The Evil Within that had 4gb vram minimum spec for 1080p, otherwise you would have to run the game at less than 1080p? and then the game ran PERFECTLY FINE on 2gb cards because it used 1.6gb at 1080p with everything maxed?

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Gonna stick with my 4gb Sli ty very much. By the time games are really needing more than 4gb a better and stronger GPU will come out anyway, so not the least bothered.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    The vram usage you are seeing is allocated and not necessarily needed to run the game.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Still holding out for AMD's R9 390X I have a funny feeling these are going to be monster GPU's in terms of power and have at the very least 6GB VRAM on a 512bit bus.

I am hoping they destroy the 900 series, they definitely won't in terms of energy efficiency unless AMD do some magic with the architecture but that is unlikely.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    6 gb won't work on a 512bit but. Just like 256bit bus won't work with 6gb. It will either be 4 or 8gb with 256 or 512bit bus. 6gb would have to be 384bit.

14. Whiplashwang

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    So am I worrying for no reason about card longevity? Is 4GB enough for another two years? I just don't want to regret my purchase while I still have a chance to send the product back. If it's not a problem and 8GB won't make any different then I can stop the RMA before I send off the card.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    8GB on a GM204.... somewhat absurd, yet it depends on the price tag. If it's 10% more, like a good custom cooler for instance, why not. But I'm still hoping they release the specs and release date of the GM200s soon... I need my information fix dammit!

16. Brogan

Brogan Guest

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Regarding the need for vram... I just bought a single GTX 980 and I currently have a 27" 1080p display. Will I struggle using the new DSR feature to shrink 4k resolutions down to my 1080p?

Is that something where the 8GB would help in future games?

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    As others have said the vram is fine at 4gb, I'm on 2gb and ican still play all games if I turn things down a little at 1440p. 4gb is fine, like tk and eclap said that 8gb you will 3 or 4 gpus and running very high custom aa or multiple screens to use all that vram. It all depends how effective dsr is, does dsr work on all games out the box?

18. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well if AMD deliver on HBM, then expect the 390X to beat anything from NV until they can get HBM going too.

19. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    X GPU cannot use X memory because it will run out of power, developers will find a way to unoptimize their games to eat vram, even if its not required. Shadow of Mordor can 'eat' 5.3Gb+ vram with ultra hd textures, even if its not required.

Buying an 8GB GPU with 10~15% premium for 'peace' of mind. Besides judging by your logic, and already the shortage of GTX970 4GBs, I'm sure that 8GB will be sitting in a corner, and at a max 15% premium I'll surely pick it up. Anything more and I'll go 780 as planned.

Though I think 'using' 4GB+ is HBM territory.

20. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    They can put 32 gb on cards and people will still buy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.