Looking for a really good 4x game.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by goat1, Oct 29, 2014.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Something like Civ BE,Age of Wonders,Endless Legends.. Something with satisfying combat also.

2. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    might & magic heros V, VI ?

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You could give Sins of a Solar Empire a shot, it's not so much 4X but it feels more like one in some respects than it does an RTS. Hours of fun, tons of mods and great combat.

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    That's the one game I'm leaning towards Darkest..Reminds me of Homeworld.

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I see on you tube SOASE has a Star Wars Mod. I'm am all over that!

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Endless Legends looks really good,but I keep hearing the combat part kind of sucks.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looking for a proper alternative too. Personally I'm waiting for Galactiv Civilizations III to add a bit more content, as it's in Early Access stage.

8. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    i've been waiting for civ:be since announcement, only to be kind of disappointed, then i bought Endless legend after reading some positive stuff in CIVBE thread and its just great, gorgeous presentation, clean and readable menu system, bit dumb AI but its being supported and today we've got some free content. This game should've been covered way more in media because it definitely deserves it.

9. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Space Rangers 2: Dominators has a bunch of everything. I happened to stumble upon it in Metacritics highest scoring games list...a bit overkill if you're not used to XXXX (well a crossing between trading, RTS, shooting etc. in an 'exploratory' context) so I only gave it a brief look.

10. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    How's the combat? I heard it wasn't very good. That's the only part I'm worried about or I would have already bought it. I read from lots of reviews that the AI is bad and won't attack you. Also that you don't control combat.

Can you fill me in on how this works?

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    SoaSE definitely.

12. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I'm really leaning towards that. I really like the looks of Endless Legends,but I can't pull the trigger because of the negatives I've heard about it.. grrrr.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly my thinking regarding Endless Legend.

14. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    with the latest patch AI is much better, in last game i was attacked in the early game and ai caught me off guard. :) you can auto resolve battles like civ, and if you want you can do it manually where battles are kind of like combat heroes of might and magic 3. i use auto for easy wins and manual for strong armies. only negative thing about manual combat is that turns take a while for animations to finish, imho.

i like combat way more than lets say civ type of combat. what is really interesting is that you can equip units with armors and weapons, retrofit old armies and create your own designs for building new units.gives you rpg-ish vibe.

i have never played Endless space, but when i was looking at user reviews almost every user that didn't like ES liked EL very much.

its really deep interesting game, and even UI is simplistic its very readable and that allows you to learn core mechanics in one playthrough.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    ....I think I need a new RTS/4X/etc game, I try it, get kind of interested, then ultimately I am let down and put it away. I just play Civilization 4 or 5 again. I am then reminded how there isn't another game. Nothing remotely comes close to the addiction I have to Civ games. It's the worst game ever because I can't stop myself from playing. I have stop playing that game for many months at a time or it eats (more) entire days/weekends than I can give. I eventually get bored, I think I need a new 4x/RTS/etc game, I try it, get kind of interested, then ultimately am let down and I just play Civilization 4 or 5 again. I am then reminded how there isn't another game. Nothing remotely comes close to the addiction I have to Civ games. It's the worst game ever because I can't stop myself from playing. I have stop playing that game for many months at a time or it eats (more) entire days/weekends than I can give. I eventually get bored, I think I need a new 4x/RTS/etc game, I try it, get kind of interested, then ultimately am let down and I just play Civilization 4 or 5 again. I am then reminded how there isn't another game. Nothing remotely comes close to the addiction I have to Civ games. It's the worst game ever because I can't stop myself from playing. I have stop playing that game for many months at a time or it eats (more) entire days/weekends than I can give. I eventually get bored, I think I need a new 4x/RTS/etc game, I try it, get kind of interested, then ultimately am let down and I just play Civilization 4 or 5 again...

16. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Berkos,thank you for the update. I'm glad they are working on the combat part of it. If they fix that,I think more people would be all over it. The game just looks gorgeous. I'm leaning towards sins of a solar empire. Get one now,I'm sure they will all be on sale for black friday.