Int...Internet Tax? Hungary...really?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by (.)(.), Oct 29, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This is the first I've heard of it.

40,000 people protesting about it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more pics - http://imgur.com/gallery/QvBMu

Can anyone confirm this or enlighten me..

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If its limited at such a low amount then I wouldn't care. Comcast already f*cks me every month with some new tax/charge anyway. What's another $5

3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Question is though, where does it stop?

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Pretty much. I mean what does it cover exactly, other than to fill pockets. If its for maintenance, isnt that what monthly phone bills cover - Up keep.

$5 per person when (according to google) 72.6% of the population (2013) use the internet. Thats alot of money ($35,926,110?).

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Exactly, the hard bit for the government is getting the tax in to start with. After that, it's much easier to increase it every year, faster than the rate of inflation.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    somewhere I read 50 cents per 1 gig downloaded. I just downloaded all my goddamn steam games that would be 300€ :D taxes hooray. If it was by gb :p how it was kind of told in trash news here in finland, ah that was the first version of it. Now they are planning the 5$ pretty much. But still it is way more then the revenue for the whole network of things in hungary. So wut.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, Hungary's goverment is going the right (in a political sense) way, and especially the young people are already protesting against it. I've read in the newspaper that in 24h after the 'law' was mentioned, a matching fb group against it had 200,000 likes. Whatever that's worth in the real world, where Orban's paramilitary personal guard throws tear gas at tehm, I'm not sure, but also the European Union has already taken steps to, if not prohibit such a law, fine Hungary's goverment for it.

The downside is, even if the EU does, that only means more taxes, since Orban needs more money... that goverment is seriously f*cked up, with it's new laws and troubles. It won't take long and there will be burning cars there, I'm afraid, and probably protesters 'injured by stray bullets during police enforcement of security measures for those around the protests'.

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29783253

Its a very sly and extreme tax to be fair, if a typical household uses around 75-100GB per month (a figure that will no doubt rise) then it'd cost around £40 per month just as a tax.

I'd complain like hell.

9. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
  10. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Disgusting, wouldn't be surprised if companies here tried crap like that.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    modern society relies on modern technologies,putting a tax on the thing that binds almost all tech ,well this is stupid or ballsy.

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    When are countries going to start charging companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc corporate tax?

Seems the only people that get shafted by taxes are the ones that actually pay it

13. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The Hungarian govt's policy is to keep income tax low and generate revenue through other types of tax. This general policy benefits the rich supporters of the government.

This internet tax is a good example of the above. The amount you pay will not depend on your ability to pay so hits the poorer of society.

14. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Might curb piracy to be fair.

15. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sure it is, I agree. Not that in Austria crap like this wouldn't happen. But first they cut off social services, then they set up new 'forced labour' for those still being able to get social services (they have to work the lowest jobs and can't avoid that or they'll starve or freeze), the laws preventing Gypsies from even trying to do the lowest jobs (pratically treating them like Jews in ***** Germany back in the beginning), the throwout of foreigners, ending up in millions of € of lost farm fields they bought and their vegetables that have been growing, and now this stupid tax.

Can't say I'd support such things in Austria, or claim I've seen stuff like this happen in consecutive rows in less than two years...

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    and all legitimate streaming, digital copies what not. It would get rather costly rather fast. Piracy would found new venues again in the form of burned discs as in the past.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    It will never curb piracy, people crack games just because they can for fun to get one over the corporate companies.

If anything it will make people turn to piracy, added taxes is only going to piss people off.

19. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I doubt it would curb piracy. As an example earlier, if its going to cost £40 in taxes to download 100Gbs worth of movies regardless if its genuine or pirated, i dont see how it will curb piracy.

If anything i think it could fuel piracy.

Might curb down the amount that facebook is used perhaps, not a bad thing ;)

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Exactly.

With the mindset of "I have already paid for my film via internet tax" i cant see how this will curb piracy.

Is it also proportionally fair considering you are already paying to be provided a service? Its like pay as you go with a forced monthly contract fee :(