Heroes of the Storm - Blizzard's MOBA -

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by MrH, Oct 27, 2014.

1. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    [​IMG]

Alpha/Beta sign up: Click me!
    Genre: MOBA/ARTS
    Release date: TBA (currently in alpha)
    Price: Free to play (LoL model)
    CGI trailer: Click me!

2. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I've had alpha access for awhile now but I only started playing it this week due to my friend getting an invite and I have to say I absolutely love it, it's just a total blast to play.

The biggest difference between this game and Dota 2/LoL is there are no items and no shops, at first I thought this would be a bad thing but after playing the game I actually prefer it. There is also no last hitting and XP/kills are shared team wide, this puts the focus on team work instead of individuals which once again I like. Plus I haven't read "OMG KS" ever in this game, so that's a bonus!

Another major difference is the fact there's multiple maps with different objectives, think old school AV in WoW, you have to collect items to summon the game changing boss, each map has you doing slightly different objectives and it keeps the games fresh. The focus of HotS is very much on these objectives and team fighting, with lanning not being that important at all, as long as someone is in each lane the whole team will get XP from the creeps.

The game is using the League of Legends model whereas it's free to play but not all heroes are unlocked, instead there's a free to play rotation that changes weekly. You earn gold in-game which can be used to buy skins or heroes, you can also opt to spend real money to speed up unlocking these items. Currently the gold gain is very low, to the point where it'll take around 3 weeks of casual(ish) play to unlock a hero after the first one, your first hero will unlock very fast as you're gaining XP rewards for levelling up until level 15 which is when it stops, they plan to add more levelling rewards at a later time. You can also earn extra gold by doing daily quests, and levelling each hero to level 5.

For an alpha the game runs, sounds and looks great, it's really quite impressive. There's obviously work to be done but it's very playable right now.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Been opted in since day one but still no access. Hoping to try this because I'm not a fan of the other MOBAs. Blizzard games usually work for me, though

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  4. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    For me it's like a cross between a traditional MOBA and WoW battlegrounds. I'd say the skill cap is lower than both Dota 2 and LoL, but it's more fun IMO. I also like how the average game time is around 20 - 25 minutes, so you can jump on and have a game or two without burning a couple of hours.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, would hate to commit too much time to each game.

6. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    New free rotation in all regions includes:

Tassadar
    Chen
    Illidan
    Zagara
    Tyrael
    Valla
    Malfurion

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    A new wave of invites went out today, check Battle.net / the launcher to see if you were invited, apparently people didn't get the email yet but their accounts are activated.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nothing on my battle.net, can't check the launcher till I'm back from work.

9. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    They've shown off some incredible stuff at Blizzcon this year, the future is very bright for this game.

Album with lots of artwork, screenshots etc of new heroes and battlegrounds: Click me

New features trailer: Click me

eSports trailer: Click me

Full match on the new battleground: Click me

Closed beta will start on January 13th.

Leavers/AFKers will be matched with other "like minded" players, much like how it is in Dota 2 which is HUGE.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just got invited to the game. I hope it's fun for newbies to MOBAs.

11. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    It's the easiest MOBA to pick up by a large margin.

12. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    lol Blizzard must be hard up again

13. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Another big wave of invites went out yesterday, check your launchers.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    still nope :(

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    me neither. I have too much time invested in Dota anyway so I'll just stick with that

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  17. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Unlucky guys, it's closed beta in January though so fingers crossed you'll get in then, I'm assuming they'll massively up the numbers.

The game is absolutely great though, it's my favourite MOBA and it's just a lot of fun to play. The fact it's this good in alpha gives me hope for the future.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I've been watching a few twitch streams here and there. The game looks really good for being an Alpha build. I really can't wait to get my hands on this.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Closed beta starting on the 13th Jan 15, a LOT of people will be getting in, let's hope we all do and get to try this.

20. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Are the new maps meant to be out at the same time? I haven't been keeping up with the updates.
    The flower power map is seriously boring over time but the others are decent.