Some fun usage examples of DSR

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by whitespider, Oct 26, 2014.

1. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    So while I'm not happy with the impreportional hit on performance DSR has on my kelper gtx 670 @ 2560x1440, I have noticed that DSR serves some interesting purposes.

• Dolphin Emulator
      Project 64/1964 Emulator
      NGlide, Glide Emulator
      Indie Games using unity (Terrible engine for using driver AA with)
      Indie Games
      Media Player Classic

Firstly I found that emulators such as dolphen allow you to downsample internally, however they only go to about 2k. Instead of 5k, and they also don't use the conversion filter. Let's take Mario Galaxy 2 on dolphen for example, if you use the ingame MSAA option. It halves your fps when you go from noAA to 2xMSAA. And then halves it again at 4x AA. This is way more taxing than msaa is in normal dx9/dx11 games. Yet if you select a DSR resolution, then render at window size. You can play at 60fps at 5k. Which is better looking than 8xMSAA at the highest internal resolution. Furthermore the smoothness filter makes wii games, with limited textures and lot's of sharp edges, look a lot more organic. In many pc titles, I would recommend 33% smoothness, in this however I find that nothing is lost, and much is gained at 80 or even 100% smoothness at 5k.

It gives us a lot better IQ in that emulator, that's for sure. And if you have a beast of a graphics card, you can always add 2xmsaa on top of 5k for that extra deep look.

Next up is project 64, or 1964, depending on your preference. N64 games don't really have a lot of detail to give us. So I think the smoothness filter at 100% and 3k-5k resolution gives us a better overall look than any other alternative. n64 games look the jagged edges on text, things look generally more cgi-ish, and things in the distance look very sharp and exciting. DSR also gives both dolphen and project64/1964 a HQ bloom look with smoothness above 50%. So games have that extra "pop".

Next is Nglide, if you don't use it for your older glide games (carmageddon 1+2, Wizardry 8, Summoner, and many others) I recommend you download it. It's very easy to use and automatically takes over any game with glide support. Unfortunately Nglide does not support all DSR resolutions, so you are going to have to pick 3840x2160 (4k). Once you have done that in the nglide options, you will run all games through DSR. And since nglide is relatively optimized, you will probably get a good framerate even at 4k. Alternatively, you can use SGSSAA by making a profile for the game (if it's not already made) and then testing a few flags. Or even combine SGSSAA with DSR. If you want to go insane.

And finally we have steam early access/indie games that use the terrible unity engine, unity does not scale well with SGSSAA at all. In fact 9/10 times they turn into a blurry mess when you apply driver level AA unless you drop the IQ settings to the absolute lowest, unfortunately unity ties all it's graphics settings together, so not only will you lose the depth of field, ambient occlusion, and bloom effects of the engine, you will also lose texture quality and draw distance. These options are rarely independent. DSR does a good job of making unity at maximum settings look generally more organic and smooth, even at 33%. The only problem is that many early access games are not even remotely optimized. So 33-66fps might turn into 11-22fps. In that case I would recommend the higher performing Gedosato.

And as a bonus that one or two people may use --- there is media player classic, often low quality movies, cams, or early releases of films look very grainy, media player classic has the option to run at a specific resolution/refresh rate. Setting it to 4k plus 33-66% smoothness can often take the harsh blocky video and make it look a little more consistent and immersive. It's a personal taste thing since what you are applying is a 13tap depth of field filter over the top of a film at a high resolution, so if you want a high detail blur filter --- this is probably the best you are going to get. Much better than shaders that do something similar.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You can also downsample with PotPlayer, works a treat :)

3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Stupid question but do you need the GeForce Experience app to enable DSR?

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    no you do not.

5. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Wouldn't this result in a huge perf hit on non-maxwell gpus due to the gaussian blur? Like even in general applications like MPC?

I wonder if GeDoSaTo works with MPC. I can't watch anything without SVP :(