monitor shows "no signal" instead of going to sleep

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EspHack, Oct 26, 2014.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    *FIXED* monitor shows "no signal" instead of going to sleep

as the title says... my second monitor is using a VGA cable with a DVI to VGA converter and when the main goes to sleep it displays a "no signal" message floating around instead of going to sleep mode too, and that's utterly annoying at nights I have to turn it off, it didn't happen without the converter but my new GPU only has DVI, my question is: is this a limitation of dvi-vga converters?

EDIT: after looking for a software solution with no luck, I decided to try some troubleshooting the ol' fashioned way, unplugged the second monitor's VGA cable from the DVI adapter and tried connecting it to a native VGA port on another GPU, surprise surprise* it went to standby-sleep mode, so it is clearly a passive(powerless) solution, I tried connecting the pins in the VGA cable with a screwdriver until I found 2 pins that when connected made the monitor think it is connected to a proper VGA port and go to sleep, so all I had to do was insert a tiny strand of copper wire between the 2 pins on the DVI-VGA adapter, done

I hope this post may help other people fix this problem

also a final question, is there any risk of damaging the GPU's port or monitor with this trick? its been running fine for a while

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014