Skyrim Performance on Quads+

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Yecnot, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Has anyone gotten Skyrim to effectively use more than two cores/threads?

Going from my a dual core to a quad in Skyrim has done nothing for me. This might not be a problem for you guys because your procs have great single-threaded performance. This combined with the fact that most of you probably run at max 1080p with ENB, effectively maxing gpu usage.

Any tweaks, mods, etc?

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:System_Requirements

Looking at this table of GPU's, your GT 640 just might not be up for the task. Your cpu is doing as best as it can but when the GPU just can't it may seem as if the cpu is slacking.

Testing myself with skyrim I see heavy usage on 4 cores and slight usage on core #5 and #6. Probably the first four are for the games and the rest are for background stuff.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    wat

I'm cpu bottle-necked here. Performance is great until gpu-usage suddenly drops to like 50-75% and fps dips into the forties.

Managing fps when your GPU is limiting you is terribly easy. CPUs are another story. I have similar but less extreme problem with BF3. I'm hitting 50-60 on 32 player servers at both 1440x900 and 800x600. The game is only stressing 3 cores.

However, I last ran the game on XP a few weeks ago. Maybe scaling will be better on 8.1.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Wow wow wow, you're not using windows 7+? And you're actually wondering why multi-threaded performance "is ****"?

I still think that gpu is the weakest part anyway. Unless you play skyrim and BF3 on lowest settings.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Adding the lines to Skyrim.ini to use more than 4 cores brings even more stutter into the mix for me so I have to leave it at default, i.e. Don't add the lines.More threads will cause the scripts to go haywire I think.The engine is set by default to run on 4 cores.

6. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Scripts run on havok, so if you used iNumHavok or something then yeah. The engine is set by default to run on 4, but only uses 2? .-.

The 640 is of course my limiting factor across the board, but in barely threaded games like Skyrim and Assassin's Creed, it isn't.

7. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Your video card is really weak. It's around 9800 GT performance level, which is below the recommended requirements for Skyrim.

8. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    ... I'm aware of that. I'm stressing here that my quad core is limiting my GPU usage (meaning, my gpu usage is low). In Skyrim, my cpu is bottlenecking me, not my slow gpu.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's your per core performance that's limiting you. When Skyrim came out I was still using a Phenom 2, and cities in particular tanked the FPS. Any modern dual core intel chip will push 100FPS in said places.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What IcE said ^

I went from q6600 to i5 2500k and Skyrim performance went through the roof. It loves SB and above and it's a game changing upgrade if you want to play the game smoothly

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Pretty much, top of Whiterun and looking at Riverwood it drops from 50-60 to 40fps. I'm constantly "on the edge of my seat" to see if it will dip into the 30s. Still playable though.

12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Hey Yecnot pls play Assassin's Creed Unity :p

13. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    maybe if it was out he would try .. you failed though .. your sarcasm bit your own ass here dude

14. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    @Yecnot, 250w psu is really pushing it mate. Could even add to your lack of performance.

15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    That was an issue that was fixed with a patch. Release version ran rock solid for me on a Phenom II.

16. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I think its understood that I meant to play when its out? He's not an idiot. I don't need explain it to him like hes five, don't know about you though.

17. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I'm getting new GPU like a 660ti or something in a month or so with a new power supply. Can't wait to see it at 15% gpu usage in AC Unity. :giggle2:

18. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Lol its better than 99% @ 15fps in The Evil Within :D (Weird SLI bug idk how to even trigger it, just happens)

19. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Yeah, after Bugthesda actually optimize this game after patch 1.4 or something, performance on CPU side took a great leap.

My phenom can push it on rock 60FPS (probably more) all the way without ENB.

20. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    good try at a comeback buddy my 7yr old daughter can do better

anyway i replied to exactly what you wrote so if you want others to understand please write properly :) PEACE