Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by primetime^, Oct 25, 2014.

1. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    anyone try this out yet? trying it now to see if it make changes....i personally wipe my drive with parted majolica in between image restores....not rally counting on much but i will try to see if any chang

boy oh boy it does seem to take a long time:puke2:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. qu3x

qu3x Guest

GPU:
    EVGA nVidia GTX 580
    Still didn't had time for that. And my lazyness to tackle my OS drive doesn't helpo the situation at all. Could you post some impressions yet?

3. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    I havent been on my PC much lately, but just got shadow of mordor and was looking at some tweak stuff for it and saw a mention of this 840 evo bug.

So i just ran that program and yeah, it takes a while lol..

But it definitely worked! I didnt really notice how slow things were before hand, but now I realize how bad it was. Aside from a huge difference in benchmarking, there is a blatantly obvious speed increase for loading stuff.

Heres a quick before and after benchmark in HD Tune (when i ran the 'before' benchmark I couldnt believe how slow it was!!):

before > http://oi60.tinypic.com/r10keq.jpg

after > http://oi58.tinypic.com/199puh.jpg

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    nvm...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

5. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Ill have to try this because ive been having terrible issues with Shadow of Mordor and BF4 when i turn supersampling on.

The game/system hangs for sometimes around 30 seconds when the benchmark or game is loaded, my case's HDD load LED remains on solidly with no flicker.

6. diamond-optic

diamond-optic Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    it probably wont help with that as apparently the bug only effects old files, like 30+ days old

7. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Yep your right, Shadow of Mordor with 200% Supersampling still hangs at beginning of benchmark, think ill create a thread for this.

8. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    The slowdown was a huge problem on the 840 Evo drives, i experienced it with multiple people who have one.

The fix however, does work and gives you back full performance

My laptops 840 Evo MSATA was dropping to 30MB/s using HD Tune, now its a flat 500MB/s +

9. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Briefly.
    Not permanently.
    The net is strangely quiet on this.
    And nothing from Samsung.
    I'd suggest anyone with a Samsung drive to retest it.

After the fix:

[​IMG]

Yesterday:

[​IMG]

10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    It broke my restore points, I believe.

11. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  13. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Why bother? Your system wouldn't play SoM at 200% well AT all. My 980 doesnt even. It's pathetic how well mine plays actually. Yours would be beyond words pathetic.

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Very p*ssed off Samsung 1tb 840Evo owner here, I have a 6 month old drive and a recent scan showed huge sections of the drive running at 50Mb/s and I am sorry but running Samsungs SSD drefragging tool every two months or so is just not on, I didn't even defrag my mechanical HDs that often, let alone a £200+ high speed SSD.

I am contacting their customer services on Monday and after seeing the communities reaction to the whole slow 970gtx 512Mb thing and specifically Nvidia's reaction their is only two answers Ill accept from Samsung

1). Replacement drive that isn't affected by this issue
    2). Full refund

Their Magician software is utter garbage (it hard locked my computer and refused to allow me to reboot Windows until I deleted it in safe mode) and their treatment of their customers regarding this issues and specifically the total lack of any development or news regarding a solution is a total joke.

I've been a consumer of theirs for over a decade; multiple HDs over the years, two TV's, DVD drive, Tivobox, Blu ray player and mobile phone but if the answer I get are anything less than what I stated above they can kiss my custom goodbye.

15. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Getting worse. Slowly going down hill.

[​IMG]

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    To me it won't be any Samsung SSDs for quite some time. It's not worth the troubles with the 840 and it's issues not at all being dealt with (besides releasing a single tool, only working on the symptoms not the root), updates bricking 850pros...
    I'll see what the other manufacturers have to offer when I by my next disk.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @IAmGhostDog

That's what you get for using retro benchmarking tool and RAPID mode
    (Windows XP compatibility mode LOOL)

There is a large ssd performance database here:
    http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/

But their suit is flawed same as CrystalDisk and AS SSD. All these quick assessment tools are known to under report speeds.
    They are OK if you're within expected range, but if you're not it doesn't necessarily mean your SSD is undeperforming.

Use iometer to make accurate assessment of your disk performance

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Were those 850 PRO bricking reports accurate?
    I flashed mine and it's even more beastly :banana:

One of the reasons that I went Samsung is their popularity,
    and the reasoning that there is less chance of having an undiscovered bug pop up in a large production series.
    Which is flawed thinking apparently...

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's not been that bad with the 850pro, and there have been replacement drives for the bricked ones coming in anyway, but is it worth the trouble? And with the 840evos I was unlucky enough to buy two SSDs that I have to take care of now, which is quite annoying.
    I went for Samsung because of the popularity too, but these days that popularity does not really show so much weight in myselve's decision anymore, learning I bought two drives that don't work as expected, and a third one that might be b*tching around too once I flash it with new firmware.

I'm not trying to state how Samsung's SSDs are in general, just that I won't opt for one with my next buy.

20. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    I've been using Puran Software's "DiskRefresh" (it's free). It does the the same thing that Magician's "restoration" mode does; i.e., reads/writes every sector. I run it once a month. I had read some recommendations for it prior to when Samsung released the 840 firmware that was supposed to to fix the issue.

http://www.puransoftware.com/DiskFresh.html