GTX 900 series physx bug?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Kolt, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    After troubleshooting for a while as to why Metro LL Redux would crash my Nvidia driver I stumbled across a few posts regarding the physx setting for the 900 series drivers.. and to my surprise it actually worked. Apparently setting the physx to CPU in the Nvidia control panel fixes the driver crashing in MetroLL Redux, and apparently gets PhysX to actually work correctly in other games like Batman AO:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/781829/geforce-900-series/980-and-physx-problems/

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184318.0

http://forums.evga.com/Driver-stopp...GTX-980-SC-on-default-clocks-m2219878-p3.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2219878&fp=19&p=8

There is even a Youtube video demonstrating how when set to GPU the physx doesn't work in Batman AO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f411ObjRcF8&feature=youtu.be

Anyone else experience this issue? Would anyone else mind testing with other PhysX enabled games? Metro LL Redux works great with no FPS loss and full PhysX with PhysX set to CPU.. that doesn't seem right.

Could there really be a bug causing the toggle from CPU to GPU for Physx to be backwards?

Currently using 344.48 drivers.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I had the Batman glitch where I couldn't go above Normal and Borderlands:TPS wasn't showing any PhysX at all when I was testing Windows 10 on a 970 (344.16 drivers), but on Windows 8.1 (344.48 drivers), Borderlands: TPS works normally. I can try Batman out later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Interesting, I saw mention of Windows 10 having the issues.. but I'm on 8.1 and can't play LL with physx unless I set to CPU.

Try toggling out the CPU/GPU settings in Nvidia control panel and see if that does anything for Batman/Borderlands on 10.

4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Running some quick benchmarks for PhysX using Fluidmark 1.5.2 shows that GPU toggle does indeed work.. so now I'm not sure anymore. These could be bugs related to specific games and not just a backwards toggle.

CPU
    [​IMG]

GPU
    [​IMG]

5. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Hmm I have a Gigabyte 970 g1 and dont have any of these problems. As this is about 980 it should be the same. So my guess is your system or the card its self.

6. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I had a similar issue with the new drivers.
    It can't be the card as I was able to replicate it on 2 GTX980's, where the problem never arose on the GTX780ti.
    All were switched without a full driver install.

Starting with the GTX980 G1 and eVGA SC, there were strange physx issues in Batman AO and Metro Last Light Redux, none of the PhysX items move in Batman and Last Light crashed.
    Swap cards to the GTX780ti and it just works.

Cleaned the drivers with DDU, had to do it twice, and now physx is working on the GTX980's, But I have to manually select the card.

This was tested on a completely clean Windows 7 64 install, so there is nothing wrong with the install, hardware has been proven to be fine, and the chances of getting 2 faulty (but completely stable in non-physx games) GTX980's is very slim.

There does seem to be a software bug, whether its in the initial install or the drivers themselves.
    It also could be DDU not uninstalling correctly, the only thing I did different on the second install was MANUALLY boot into safe mode, and not getting DDU to do it.

But at the moment PhysX is working on the GTX980 after reinstalling the drivers twice.

344.11 (eVGA GTX980 SC), PhysX doesn't work
    http://youtu.be/f411ObjRcF8?list=UUILpz28zMOjp5reAm2ttBlQ

344:16 (Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming), PhysX is working
    http://youtu.be/qz5qu9QMoMk

344.48 (Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming) PhysX isn't working
    http://youtu.be/lvsIznyhMBk

And now after the reinstalls 344.48 is working on the G1...

7. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Batman was stuck with only Normal and Low settings. Had to reinstall the PhysX package and force GPU PhysX in the NVCP. Both Batman and Borderlands: TPS work normally now.

8. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Yep it is a bug and causes Metro Redux to crash on level load every now and then. I found manually selecting GPU 2 instead of Auto for physx on my Sli 980's solves the issue. If you select CPU, I found that physx options disappear from AC4 Black Flag. So perhaps forcing GPU instead of Auto or CPU might be a better solution.

9. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Yeah I have random Metro LL Redux crashes, I ran the benchmark and within 5 seconds it crashed, ran it again it went through fine.

My PhysX is manually set to GPU.

So I don't know what's going on.

Any game without PhysX runs perfectly...

10. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I guess until an official fix is found you could of course always disable Advanced Physx in game for Metro, that also worked for me. Obviously not a great solution....

Does anybody know if Nvidia are aware and working on this issue?

11. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    I'm guessing its hard to fix a problem if they can't replicate the problem each time.
    That's what I'm finding at the moment, Metro LL Redux benchmark one time the game will crash, the next you can do 20 benchmark runs and its fine.

Batman AO after a PhysX reinstall started working again, but the PhysX items look strange, like they are floating just above the floor, I don't remember it looking like that.

Yet Fluidmark works flawlessly even when Metro and Batman AO is playing up.

It's so strange, and its only been on my new Maxwell card..

12. squish72

squish72 Guest

GPU:
    xfx 5870
    im in the process of sweeping and reinstalling the drivers because Black Flag wouldnt even show the phsyx option after installing my 970

13. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    As mentioned above I found it wont show if physx is selecting cpu.

14. squish72

squish72 Guest

GPU:
    xfx 5870
    yes i know but im not having a problem in borderlands or batman just black flag. installing my 670 and setting it as a dedicated physx card works but not just the 970. selecting it manually doesnt change anything for me

15. Raztaman

Raztaman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Can I ask, how are any of you actually able to change from Physx on CPU to GPU? For me, the dropdown menu is disabled on the control panel and forced to CPU.... I'm pretty sure this is hurting my fps in a few games, especially seeing as I just bought the Gigabyte 970 G1. I'm using an AMD FX-6300 (unfortunately) if that helps.

EDIT: Using the latest 344.75 drivers.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Have you tried uninstalling PhysX using the Windows Control Panel 'Programs and Features' applet then installing PhysX manually by running the PhysX_9.14.0702_SystemSoftware.msi installer in the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\344.XX\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\PhysX folder?

17. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    PhysX is running on my cards :D

18. Raztaman

Raztaman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    *facepalm* The PhysX installer isn't gonna be in the same place for everyone, and yes of course I reinstalled PhysX and made sure it's the latest version T_T

EDIT: Fluidmark reports that PhysX was running on GPU (using visual indicator) even though my PhysX config panel was stuck to CPU. Maybe it makes no difference as long as I enable CUDA for 3D apps, but then other people change from CPU to GPU fine.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  19. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Same problem here. Been posting about this on GeForce forums for months. Everytime, some troll responds with "Just disable PhysX, there's no difference, blah blah".

Don't know what else to tell you other than contact NVIDIA directly or post on GeForce forums. Maybe one day they will fix it...

20. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Maybe it has something to do with steam auto-installing an outdated physx first time a game is launched? A few years ago mirrors edge had this problem where it was unplayable until you manually replaced game physx files with ones that come with driver. Batman AO, Metro 2033 Redux and Mafia 2 work fine here. Gonna install and try LL later