DSR and Dowmsampling are same? Or you can enable 8K resolution on the 1080p monitor?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Gameslove, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Gameslove

Gameslove Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 4GB OC/GTS450physX
    So can I use DSR + Downsampling on the 1080p monitor to enable 8K resolution? :)

2. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Nope, DSR disables custom resolutions. You cant even enable DSR if you have a 4K monitor either.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. Gameslove

Gameslove Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 4GB OC/GTS450physX
    What about performance between DSR and Downsampling? Same?

4. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I think it depends on the GPU, it's supposedly about 1-3% difference with Maxwell GPU's but people with older cards have said it's more. I havent bothered testing it myself though.

5. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4936177&postcount=32

This was posted on another thread.

From what I researched, DSR uses another method rather downsampling using the tradition custom resolution. It also includes Gaussian blur slider aka smoothness slider.

Here is a video explaining it in technical detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndx3qrodGEo

I've been doing downsampling for a long time before this came out from Nvidia, but after doing some tests myself. I notice less frame drops during gaming, DSR ran smoother overall than traditional downsampling.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Gah! Is there a way to have custom refresh rates and DSR at the same time?

My monitor is 75hz and I've always had to create a custom refresh rate to use it...but since DSR disables custom resolutions, I cant use 75hz on my desktop and DSR in games at the same time.

There has to be a way around this.

7. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
  8. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I had the same problem, all I did was create a custom 1080p @ 75hz resolution and then enabled DSR. I couldnt set the refresh rate to 75hz in the NVIDIA Control Panel one DSR was enabled but I could in the Advanced settings section in Windows Screen Resolution.

[​IMG]

The Evil Within runs at 2160p @ 75hz as well, not that I can play it at that resolution though.

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Thats probably the easiest way to do it, the other option would be to use an inf file for another monitor that natively supports the resolution and refresh rate you want, I had to do the same thing to get 3d vision to detect my projector, it's the same with DSR I think.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    My monitor is 60Hz but I run it at 77Hz using CRU. It works fine with DSR. It uses whatever mode you're currently in.