Opinions of Importance of "Cyberbullying"?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Yecnot, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    The school is making us do some group "Project Based Learning" on cyberbullying, where I am once again pulling the load.

My problem is with the widespread belief that this is a major problem at all. How can you enter a place that grants you and everyone else the almighty power of anonymity, and not expect all morals and ethics to fly out of the window?

Basically, if you can't handle the freedoms that come with net sovereignty, stay off the internet.

Intellectual freedoms > Another dumb kid who can't handle the internet

Your opinions?

title failure

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    over sensitive people should know their limits

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    /thread

4. Andrés

Andrés Guest

A kid may not know he's oversensitive. A kid can be negatively influenced by something one posts or says about him, even if he reads it once. He may end up thinking that this is how things are, unaware of other realities. Don't minimize this problem. You need to have some emphaty for the kid and try to be in his place.

5. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Kids are kids they aren't totally developed, I have three and they all react to things in different ways.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    You have some insight on what to expect from the freedoms that presently exist on the internet. Not everyone, let alone children, will think into things that thoroughly and treat the comments accordingly. All depends on the individual's support structure and how they themselves are able to handle what's thrown their way. Everyone handles situations to the best of their ability or lack thereof.

EDIT: LORD OF THE FLIES should be required reading and discussion before looking into such a situation.

7. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    It's not an issue, it's a small part of growing up. "Cyberbullying" is one of the biggest nonexistent first world problems we have. Blown out of portion because a few teens committed suicide because of multiple factors, as does anyone else that commits suicide (and they could of also had undiagnosed mental issues to begin with, like bipolar, that'd cause them to commit suicide).

Then because of the "think of the children" fear mongering, you start getting companies like Google who use it as one of many tactics to get you to use your actual name on their sites (when in reality it's a move to compete with Facebook and otherwise **** all over your privacy).

Rather than try to "stop people from being *******s" it'd be a better battle to teach kids a little bit of psychology. You know, avoiding black and white thinking, better handling of emotions- that kind of ****. Cause that will actually payoff longterm.

edit

You want to talk about problem kids and issues:

There. Tell me cyberbullying is one of their many issues.

EDIT

Just be sure to make the argument that the same online anonymity that apparently causes such cyberbullying to exist could be used by the victims themselves to protect their own online accounts, communications and general privacy.

I mean, at the end of the day this project is all school bull**** anyway. They just choose topics they think kids will have strong opinions about to motivate them into doing them. It's the project itself, not the topic, that they care about.

8. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    THANK YOU!
    This is exactly what I would write if I could. But we can't because my teacher has already decided for everyone that cyber-bullying is the worst. I know I'm only 15 but when it comes to morality and other social philosophies I don't like thinking in predetermined lines. In reality I can't even relate to this because I spend hours a day on reddit/4chan where it would be weird not to have a insults and threats thrown around. I don't use facebook, twitter, or any of that bs.

We had a previous project on social norms too where she basically told us what our opinion should be and all those conforming ******* in class just went along with it. You should see the f***ing rubrics we get.

They're not teaching us psychology. They're subtly forcing their philosophies onto us, and its acceptable because it sounds perfectly correct if you only put 30 seconds of thought into it based on the pre-existing conceptions you already have; especially the ones you'd have at my age.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sums up education perfectly. Its about getting you to pass. They dont care about the subject material beyond that.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Topic does not matter? Then explain why corporations invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on lawyers regarding harassment. Think before passing on incorrect information. It boils down to how the words used are interpreted by a person on the other end of a conversation. Has nothing to do with intent or the meaning of the individual who vocalized the words.

That is the world we live in today. That is the world students are being prepared to function in.

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    If I only had to pass, my life would be several magnitudes of order easier. But noooooo, because I get to be the avatar of others' ambitions.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Oh no! Your parents expect you to do more than the bare minimum! Horrors!
    On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if you're at least a decade older... role playing. 'Avatar of others ambitions'...wow... :3eyes:

13. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Nah, the mom's a scamming ****head junkie who's tried her best to ruin my credit. Out of the entire family I have two normal law-abiding aunts.

School invited (forced me IMO) to this Principal's Elite BS. "I think everyone here has at least a 3.75 GPA." Me: Oh sht. I got a 3.67... weighted last year. Now I'm forced to work for a 94+ average this year.

I do not aspire to academic elitism, but what other choice do I have eh? I just want to make it into the middle class.

14. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I am going to bully you all.

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    What I mean is the topic doesn't matter to the teachers or the overall grade. But the school systems are designed from the ground up to create an obedient, "disciplined" pacified, incapable of real world critical thinking or warranted questing authority, student. Not to be contused with "structure", which is warranted.

Damn right.

I'd have George Carlin and Glen Greenwald (for starters) be required reading for grade schoolers if I had it my way.

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Only agree with the topic part of your statement as far as it not being germane to the exercise of crafting a response and supporting it. If academia was designed to create automatons then it would not come close to introducing the principles of logic and debate. It would not introduce the structure of term papers. Literature not on the "approved" list would only be found on the black market. School essentially teaches one how to think in regards to how to go about research, craft the topic, and then support it with facts that lead the author to their conclusion. Academia just provides the tools. How the tools are used is up to the choice of the student.

Education does not guarantee a successful career. It is supposed to enrich one's life. Make one a more well rounded individual. Open up one's mind to infinite possibilities. The more educated one becomes, the more that one realizes how little they really know. Education provides the tools needed to answer such questions like: Just because you can, should you? If all one accomplished with their education was a career path, then good luck reinventing oneself when that particular career becomes outmoded. Education allows one to communicate to anyone and everyone about anything and everything. Do not sell the system short because of your own short comings. You get out of it. What you put into it. In other words: Garbage in...garbage out.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Kids should get real friends and not make themselves and their self esteem dependent on random comments under their self-shared pictures of them looking stupid. :rolleyes:

18. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    In a perfect world. But the teachers don't care, and most the students don't care, because they're already years into dealing with teachers who don't care. Both student and teacher are pressured by the laws and quotas.

Again, in some perfect Utopian fantasy world.

But we live in a world of payrolls, and quota. The teachers just want their paycheck at the end of the day and their union.

edit

Don't mistake me for saying the entire system is pointless, or that it benefits no one or the like. It's just that examples like in the OP's post are nothing more than just getting the project done, graded and moved on. You can mental masturbate all day on the deeper meaning of the topic- they don't care. It's a project graded on group skills, organizing, or whatever other thing, whatever bull**** his area mandates students in his grade and class learn.

edit2

The other difference being is OP is assumed to be in some public school system hell, rather than the deeper learning of some high brow college.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The individual's goals, what is wanted to get from it, determine the kind of education received. It is all predicated on a very basic work ethic. What you put into it is what you get out of it. Life in the real world works the same way. Utopian ideas have nothing to do with it. Those just amount to nothing more than the panacea brought about by whimsical thoughts. It is all about character and attitude. If no effort goes into learning and/or attitude is off, then hardly anything will be gained.

High School was a breeze but was prep for college. The final product is only as good as the foundation. Do not make assumptions about teachers based on a single presentation. I do agree that a good teacher makes all the difference in the world.

Blaming teachers is so easy. Twisting your point a little: Why should the teachers put much effort forth if so many students do not care? Complaining and over dramatization is what high school students do best.

20. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    The ones that thinks bullying (whatever kind) isnt a problem, are the ones participating in it.