Getting 300Mbps Important?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Daftshadow, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Is it really important to be able to get 300Mbps? I recently purchased a new wireless router Linksys N600 e2500 to replace my old Netgear N-Wireless. I used to get 300Mbps on the Netgear but only 162Mbps on the Linksys.

Although I still max out my download stream rate and it is faster than the Netgear router. So does it make any difference that it can't reach 300Mbps? Sometimes it'll jump up to 216 but never past that.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not really. As long as you're happy with it and wireless connections to it are faster than your internet connection, you're fine. The only reason to worry about connection speed (which isn't actually the speed at which data will necessarily be transferred anyway), is if the negotiated connection speed is slower than your internet connection or if you're transferring large files between computers on your network.

3. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    oh ok thanks for the info. yes the wireless connections are fine as well as the internet connection.