Valve Pulls Steam Game after Developer Tweets to Kill Gabe

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-following-devs-tweet-threatening-gabe-newell

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I will never understand why people get so worked up that they resort to being immature and sweary.

I mean I have often being annoyed with the ineptitude of clients at work and video game suppliers and game developers but I always complain in a reasonable manner, expressing my annoyance/anger but without resorting to name calling, death threats or swearing.

I think this whole affairs says more about the developer than it does Valve IMO.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Valve is the one that has offered to help with game advertising and to assist new developers (and old) with getting their games out there and noticed...for a fee.

If Valves services were free and fairly basic, then I would have to say that the developer in question is wrong. However, Valves services are not free, they're the ones that offer these services to their clients, and as such, marketing or presenting their clients products incorrectly is completely unprofessional.

Not only has valve failed at their job at marketing a clients product, they've also damaged the developers reputation. This is, imo, unforgivable when you are offering such a service, more so when money is involved. Gabe and Valve arent the Golden boys pc fanbois like to make them out to be. The developer here has every right to be pissed off, personally id of taken Valve to court.

Edit: Its also pathetic of Valve to have pulled the game when the fault lies at Valves end. More so when theres so many more games on steam that are nothing but broken ports or bait and switch titles.

Valve mentality: Games can be sold on steam even if they lack basic optimizations and features one would expect a pc game to have (resolution options etc), advertise features that wont be in the final game, take backers money and not deliver on the final product. But should Valve get their only job wrong when representing a client and get called out for it - Game will be pulled.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Pretty funny people cant control themselves and wish others to death on twitter.
    I agree with darren, it really says more about the developer then of valve.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He could've asked for Half Life 3 while he was at it.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Serves him right. Have some manners. Just look at his reply to the removal of his game, he's acting like he's the victim. There was a mistake and expressing frustration with the mistake peacefully would have been a pretty good idea...

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    When you sign on with Valve in an effort to distribute your game I'm quite certain Valve expect a level of professionalism and integrity to back you up.

This guy brought neither to the table.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    He is the victim here.

No, it was Valve that brings neither.

Valve offer a service, they've failed at providing this service and have inturn damaged a developers reputation, sales and therefore their livelihood. He has every right to be pissed off.

If a doctor amputated your hand when you only needed stitches, what would your reaction be and would you like if people simply said you need to be more mature about it when you vent your frustration. Someones livelihood is at stake here and they've worked damn hard for the final product, to have an incompetent thirdparty who gets a cut from your hard work to fuk up the only simple task they had is grossly unprofessional.

This sums up the gaming industry and Valve perfectly.

Though because theres far too many Valve and Gabe arse kissers on this forum and in the pc community in general, this is just going to go in valves favor even though they are in the wrong.

You provide a service and you fail at that service and representing your clients best interest in any other industry, you loose a client and or pay reparations and give an apology. Guess the gaming industry never got the memo of decent business practices.

This is also why I buy my steam game keys from third parties, to avoid Valve getting too much of a cut.

GOG all the way.

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Valve may have messed up on this, but the way and manner this dev is expressing his frustration is so low, that he does not deserve to be defended (or respected) by anyone IMO.

10. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah , victim of his own stupidity :banana:

He totally lost it , because of some silly reasons. IMHO he deserves 0 respect when you wish someone to die.

11. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Both parties are in the wrong but to different degrees man. Valve should have done their homework and the dev guy should have gone through the proper channels to correct the rather glaring mistake without the need to publically lose his ****.

Saying it basically sums up everything wrong with Valve is a complete and utter cop out as it takes two to tango and I'm hardly 100% pro Steam.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Since when did this pathetic and over sensitive species start asking the words 'ima kill a fool' when said in frustration so seriously like some sort of terrorist threat.

If someone screwed me over and made an incompetent mistake when my livelihood and reputation was at stake, id say something along those lines too. Its a natural reaction to say things you clearly dont mean when your angry.

Hence the reason that you can get away with saying a lot of **** to police when under duress or stress caused directly by them and they cant do **** about.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    He was being a kid. Mistakes happen... Are you serious you would take it that far against Steam if they messed up something like this that can easily be fixed in a very short period of time?

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its a mistake that should of not happend. Steam have one job and one job only and they cant even get that right for the fees they charge.

He has every right to be pissed of. And what do you mean 'that far', he didnt armor and gun up then march down to Valve headquarters and challenge Gage to a weightloss contest.

Its great to see the ol PC supporters supporting developers that need it. Just kidding, they all too busy buying crap ports from shoddy publishers.

Pc gamers - Hate corporate greed but only support corporations who are the cause of the greed.

15. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I get angry when I trap my fingers in a door. What I don't do is take the internet and threaten to kill someone.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    "That far" refers to you taking them to court over an issue that could be resolved given just a bit of time. Few hour and he started raging. Couldn't publish on weekends so he got mad. If he's been working on developing games for years, couldn't he have waited 2 more days to publish his awesome game? AAA games get delayed for months on end.

Oh and stop labelling all PC gamers, it's getting tiring even reading your posts these days.

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Actually there is a difference between saying that and putting it on the internet for everyone to see.
    If you are like him, saying that you probably would have done the same thing there is no point in debating this imo.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Twitter, the gift that keeps on giving. lol

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The Game looked **** anyways :D

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So because i dont agree with the majority and i expect even the most basic level of quality from developers/publishers, im not allowed to express my opinion. Its a bit hard not to label all pc gamers these days when they're constantly contradicting themselves.

It seems unless you like everything put in front of you, then your not allowed to have a say.