reboots all the time

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by cookiebun, Oct 20, 2014.

1. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X
    Hi I have just finished upgrading my motherboard ,processor and CPU cooler.but when I turn the system on it just keeps rebooting, fans tern on and it tries to read the windows disc but just reboots, the mobo is a

Gigabyte GA -Z97X Gaming GTand the processor is an i5 4690k.

2. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    What gfx card (if any)? If there is a seperate gfx card have you tried it without this in so the IGP takes over?

Have you tried reseating the CPU cooler? Can you get into BIOS and check temps?

This could be due to a number of reasons so need to eliminate them 1 by 1.

3. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi the graphic card is a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290, yes I have tried it without the card in and I have tried the card in a different slot, I can't get into the BIOS and I used article MX-4 thermal compound.

4. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Sounding like a PSU issue really.

What PSU have you got and how old is it?

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If his sig is right, it's supposed to be a Corsair RM1000, so it should suffice. Is it maybe a problem with the rails and amperes?

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Maybe a silly question, but have you reset the CMOS?

7. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Yes pushed the button to reset the CMOS, and yes the PSU is the Corsair RM1000kw and it ran the crossfire on the ivy bridge that I had before.

8. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9

Oh yeah, completely missed that :bang:

If it's not even getting into BIOS I'd probably try stripping and rebuilding it.

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    You could try rebuilding it outside a case, there might be a short to ground somewhere, also reseat the CPU and check for bent pins in the socket.

10. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    This....reseating the CPU and cooler. I have had this happen a couple times to me.

11. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Are you able to enter the bios? Had a similar issue with my setup at the start of the year, contant reboots could not even enter the bios, ended up the mobo was bad which killed my cpu had both replaced with new parts by my supplier, had a 3 year old corsair ax1200w which changed for a new cm V1200 just in case.

12. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    That sounds like what is happening to my system I will strip it down tomorrow and check the pins in the socket.

13. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    not good news I stripped it all back down and removed the processor and found a few bent pins, called ebuyer and was told I should have noticed them before I installed the processor and notified them then the put me through to gigabyte and they said I could return it to them but they wanted to see a photo first to see if their people could sort it and they would be able to tell if it was my fault or not.

14. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Ouch, bit of a poor show by ebuyer. I don't use them anymore but that's mainly due to the fact that I can usually get stuff cheaper from other e-tailers.

Can't say I've ever checked for bent pins before installing a processor either to be fair.

If there's a chance it came like that I'd argue the toss with eBuyer, but if you think it might be your fault just hope Gigabyte come through.

15. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    ebuyer were adamant if I send it back to them they will just return it to me so I e-mailed the photos of to Gigabyte and I will just have to wait and see, ebuyer were the cheapest I could find Scan is about £30 dearer.

16. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    This is where Amazon comes up trumps, sure you might pay £5 more (usually not much) but I guarantee they would have replaced the mobo.

I only use Amazon and Scan and get free next day delivery on both :D

I've never had to return anything to Scan but I've heard good things.

17. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    They can't just send it back, well they can but they'd be breaching the sales of goods act.

If the goods are under 6 months old then the onus is on the retailer to prove the goods were not faulty not for you to prove they were. After 6 months the onus reverses.

It's what I do for a job...(defend claims, not make them lol)

18. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The issue is that you installed the CPU, which means it could be user error. Smart thing to do would be to say you saw it before installing the CPU. If they then say try it and see if it works, say no because you don't want to damage the CPU.

19. cookiebun

cookiebun Guest

GPU:
    Hi I got in touch with Gigabyte and the wanted to see a picture of the pins and I got an answer back this morning that they think it can be sorted so I have to send it to them, keep your fingers crossed.

20. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Good luck mate! Those cpu pins are the worst thing ever.