Nintendo Bricks Wii U Consoles Unless Owners Agree To New EULA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Oct 20, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Edit: I jumped the gun here perhaps. Consider non-new tbh. Move along. Mods delete if you think appropriate.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...onsoles-unless-owners-agree-to-new-eula.shtml

To give Nintendo credit, they have made this information perfectly clear on their website, so its not like you cant do a bit of research before buying their console:http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3070/p/431

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Iirc this might just happen with all consoles :eek: do not accept eula things do not play things.

3. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Here's the EFF's comment:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/...wii-u-hostage-until-you-agree-new-legal-terms

If you own a device you shouldn't have to **** about with it to use it. While this isn't any huge issue yet (it's a video game console) longterm if this **** isn't stopped, expect to see more of it in other areas: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09...k-moving-that-car/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's what you get when every damn thing gets a computer chip in it that's online.
    Never seen the Futurama episode where they enter the fourth millenium, and suddenly the milk turned bad because there was a chip in the pack that checked for it's best before date? :D

Jokes aside, they are actually forcing a change of contract / policy on users, or take something away from them (the use of their console). I don't see that working out in the long run, somebody has time and money enough to fight such crap with a lawyer. Don't see this holding when they sue Nintendo, tbh.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I agree with this until you bring the console online onto Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony's network. If you want to tinker with or modify the console fine, but keep it offline.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Should nintendo be going such thing probably not consider where the stand atm in console world, is this expected? sure MS/Sony do it too.

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Should try turning down Steams Policy agreement and try accessing those 100 or so steam games you "own".

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Hardware is different from software. You never OWN software. You license it.

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    good luck running that proprietary nitendo hardware without their software. ;P

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still you could run games without dmr, or origin games, or uplay games, or...

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Here is my theory behind this. I am thinking that Nintendo is trying to prevent hackers from creating software for the Wii-u such as the hombrew channel. That is one thing, but preventing users from using the system how it is meant to be used is something else and it is wrong for them to do such a thing. To me they are trying to be like Apple in the lock down sense that you do what we say you can do.

12. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    This is why I PC game.

Net Sovereignty :rock:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014