Help... New G1 gtx 970 BSODs even stock speeds

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ideboedyourmom, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ideboedyourmom

ideboedyourmom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 gtx 970
    I got my Gigabyte G1 gtx 970 yesterday and started off before doing any overclocking with Afterburner by simply testing the card out on a game. I played Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider at max settings on 1080p. Temps were below 60c and Frame rate running perfect 58-60fps... yet both games crashed after 30 minutes or so of play. "Stopped working." Since then I have tried to play with afterburner a little on stock volatages and see bump +120-150 core, +200-500 memory, and ran Unigine Valley, Heaven, and 3Dmark11. None crashed but I tried to go back to gaming and still had problems. This time, I was getting BSODs even running stock clocks with WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR popping up. I tried running OCCT and crashed with the same error in the first 5 minutes.
    All the research ive found on whea errors make them out to have something to do with the CPU but ive never had this problem until the 970 was put in. I reseated the card and ram just in case I bumped it but no luck.
    My hopes are that somehow my corsair cx600 isn't putting out enough voltage during some kind of fluctuations? Any ideas? Havent seen any others with quite the same problem.

Im running windos 8.1 latest
    Intel i7-4770k, oc'd to 4.5
    Cooler Master hyper 212 evo
    2x8gb G-skill Trident-x @2400mhz
    MSI z87-g45, latest bios v1.9
    Gigabyte G1 Gtx 970, latest 344.16 driver
    Corsair cx600 power supply
    1Tb WD HDD
    Samsung 128gb Pro SSD

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Clear the cmos and try it without any overclock at all, cpu or gpu.

Also try running sfc /scannow from an evaluated command prompt.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Try increasing the vcore to see if that makes it stable at stock speeds.

Hmm, a Gigabyte overclocked card not stable at stock speeds, where have I heard that before? :confused:

4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Oh god, I hope not... that's the last thing Gigabyte needs.

@ ideboedyourmom, what card did you upgrade from ?

5. ideboedyourmom

ideboedyourmom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 gtx 970
    Hey, just got back home so Im going to try a few of the suggestions now...

@clawhammer... don't laugh, it was an MSI Hawk HD 5770

6. ideboedyourmom

ideboedyourmom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 gtx 970
    Just ran sfc /scannow. Don't know exactly what filed were corrupted and fixed or how petty that system can be when it comes to things, but I restarted afterwards and am curious if you think OCCT is good for detecting these problems? Seeing how it crashed my pc the fastest, I figure I might use it... Just wondering if it's reliable for this kind of "stability" issue.

7. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Anything that causes it to crash would be a good test :p

When you swapped cards, did you remove all AMD driver files ?

Also, when trying to solve a problem like this, always revert all settings back to stock. Once everything is stable there, then work on your OC.

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Hmm, I have this too in Win8.1 with a 970GTX.

I already ran all the checks imaginable and no errors could be found. (I even had a damn BSOD during the sfc check >.>) There's no telling when this crash is going to happen.

Win7 runs fine all the time, Win8.1 will eventually crash with a blue screen. This is extremely annoying and it's impossible to find the root cause. It was running fine before the 970GTX was installed. It must be either win8 related or driver related. It's not due to overclocking or corrupted files.

@OP:
    Did you install your new drivers running Display Driver Uninstaller first?
    What driver version are you running? I'm running 344.16

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  9. ideboedyourmom

ideboedyourmom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 gtx 970
    Actually, I'm not sure originally. I didn't use DDU right away. However, before I posted the original post, I did use DDU and reinstall my drivers afterwards. I ran OCCT and crashed on the CPU test...

I decided to up my vcore and when I went into bios, I noticed that because my OC profiles were set on v1.4 and not 1.9... I had totally screwed them up. I was running 4.5ghz on stock voltage this whole time. Im sure that has something to do with it. Sooo, now I may have to play around and see if I'm stable. I believe the original vcore was at 1.176....:question: smh. so Im surprised I didn't get more crashes. I upped it to 1.25v.. to start. I may not need that much since it was semi-stable the way it was. Any suggestions on this?

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yes, play your games without ANY overclock and post us the results.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Or an elevated command prompt alternatively.

12. ideboedyourmom

ideboedyourmom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 gtx 970
    Sorry, just saw this. I am also running 344.16. Im finally back on the comfort of my couch. Going to try to run everything stock and see how it goes... will post results.

13. ideboedyourmom

ideboedyourmom Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 gtx 970
    welp, returned everything to stock except for the XMP, profile for my Ram... everything is working without a hiccup. Funny thing is, when I was playing on stock 970 settings before, I was getting 60 fps. Now, with the fall from 4.5ghz to 3.5 on the CPU, Im running right at 30 fps. I had no idea that would happen. Sooooo, im guessing I have a lot of tweaking to do?

Btw, before I reset everything to stock, I ran prime 95 and aida64 just to see what the temps were like at 1.25v core... they started at 80 and quickly rose to 90 and crashed. I dropped it to 1.23v and were in the mid 80s, probably going to crash. I wasn't comfortable with that temp at all. Hoping I can get a sweet spot here within doing this all day :bang:

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Damn you auto correct :O

15. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Card is running at stock vcore fine at 1400+. It's not an issue with the cards in general, this is specific either to this one card or his system/psu/whatever

16. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah, I think he's getting it sorted now. Sounds like it isn't a card issue.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Before getting GTX 970 I had GTX 780 and overclocked my cpu to 4,5 GHz with about 1,25V. For some reason after installing the GTX 970 I started to get WHEA errors and had to lower my OC to 4,4 GHz (I can lower the voltage). It was difficult to get 4,5 GHz stable in the first place so it looks like my chip hits the wall around 4,4 GHz.

It's odd that you get WHEA even at stock clocks. I guess it is possible that ram or cpu is faulty.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's a hardware error, and on systems with an overclocked CPU it's usually triggered by low vcore.
    A BSOD error message is followed by 4 parameters. What are the numbers in parameter 1 (first set of brackets)?

19. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Just RMA the card .

20. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Maybe try reading the thread before posting ;)