idtech 5 is an abomination (RAGE, wolfenstein tno, the evil within)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ELCID777, Oct 15, 2014.

1. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    just a random rant. i feel the need to vent my frustration.

-------------------

sweet mother of god is this engine bad. :puke2:

why is this engine still in circulation? and why on earth are developers still using it for their games?

mega texture "technology" is an utter failure. the games that use this garbage have textures that resemble games from the Nintendo 64 era.

RAGE and wolfenstein tno have HORRID looking textures. sure, there is no tiling and every texture is unique, but what's the point of having unique textures when each one of them looks like a printscreen of a badly compressed youtube video? what a joke.

i just started playing the evil within, and while i am enjoying the game, the overall experience has been soured by the fact that it runs on this abomination of an engine. the clipping, the flickering, the slow loading, muddy looking textures. the abysmal performance....it's all just so bad.

UE4, unity, cryengine 3, hell, even UE3 can look amazing (vanishing of ethan carter), all of these modern engines to pick from and they went with sh1tty idtech 5.

anyone else agree with me?

someone please sh1tcan this awful, awful engine already. PLEASE.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    They invested money in it and they probably respect Carmack...that's why. Not that I don't agree with you, the idea of unique textures sounded great on paper but in practice I noticed tons of repeated textures in Rage. Nothing at all looked very unique to me. The rocks, the grass, the skulls, the soda machines...looked like they came out of a cookie cutter while it was too hot.

Speaking of UE3 and Ethan Carter game....it does show that the UE3 engine was quite capable of rendering lush, outdoor environments. I remember when people used to bash the UE3 engine and saying how it could never do Crysis like environment. Just imagine what the UE4 could be capable of. Theif 4 also used UE3 and to me is still one of the best looking games this year as far as crisp imagery and atmosphere.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    inb4lock :nerd:

[​IMG]

4. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Idtech engine has always been behind the 8 ball.
    Wolfenstein felt it was a 2010 design but released this year. I think game houses respect Carmack and so invested in his engine. Problem is it's way too old and not with the competition.

5. Nuk1e

Nuk1e Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX980Ti Strix
    Why is this engine bad ? because it doesnt live up to your standards ? well what exactly are your standards I might ask.

Because playing through wolfenstein the new order I did discover many place that simply blew my mind in a graphical way ....

The game looked just gorgeous at some places yes not all the time but you gotta admit that it did! even dispite the lack of anti aliasing!.

Go bash on boderlands the pre sequel it still looks the same as the first one please be objective ... and it looks like crap and cartoon.

People are so negative these days when it comes to graphics, even tho ryse was pretty much a straight up console port just with higher resolution people seemed to love it.

Just my two cents...

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This guy is my favorite guy :)

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I think the discussion is with the engine, not the games. Ryse is as you say, but it's engine can be used for any game really.

The idea for virtual texturing made sense due to the limitations of the PS3/360 for which it's obviously designed in mind for. Perhaps Carmack thought he could solve some problems in those systems and yet still be viable for future platforms as well. The main con being that storage space is high...I think the compression is the issue as to why the textures look blurry.
    The main idea of course is to use less ram which the 360/PS3 severely lacked.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Carmack had specific goals he was shooting for with idTech5.
    Those were expanding on the MegaTexture tech from Quake Wars. A completely solid 60fps experience. And full 1:1 control responsiveness.

He openly stated several times he intentionally avoided specific technical features other engines used, as he felt they were pointless.
    He said a few times he could've easily made an engine to rival the other big engines out there, but it's not what he was aiming for.

And yes, texture compression is the reason for the textures looking so blurry when viewed up close. RAGE was originally 1tb of texture data. It had to be compressed down to fit on two DVDs.
    I have no issues with the engine myself. Mostly because... all the fancy features, effects and technical merits in the world don't make a good game.
    RAGE, Wolf: TNO... The Evil Within...
    Solid, beautifully crafted art style and directions. And fun, entertaining games. Yes, other games may use more advanced engines, but in no way does that mean they are great or even fun games.

Need we point for MoH: Warfighter or Sniper: Ghost Warrior as examples.

9. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    That's some really dumb cherry picking for games on their engines. Like I could say RAGE is mediocre at best, does this mean the all games on those respective engines sucks?

Wolfenstein New Order is amazing, Evil Within is okayish so far.

10. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    This is all you need to know. Carmack did what the game studios did. Sold out to consoles.

11. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    i specifically mentioned why i think this engine is bad in the OP.

mega textures sounded great in theory, but ultimately failed to deliver in practice. the end result the technology is ugly, low-res and stretched out textures that are no way an improvement over traditional texture applications.

cryengine 3 is way beyond anything idtech 5 has produced, and it shows in ryse. the evil within is the epitome of a console port. no AA, no FOV control, locked frame rate, awful letter boxing that can't be fixed and an inability to tweak any of it's graphical settings outsidein-game menu (which is already incredibly limited to begin with), so i find it ironic that you would accuse ryse of being a straight up console port, when at least ryse comes with proper PC settings and graphics options.

both wolfenstein and the evil within have nice art directions, i don't deny that. but all of that is marred by hideously ugly low-res textures and pop-in, both by-product of the idtech 5 engine.

the evil within could have looked gorgeous on another engine, imo. instead it's just an ok looking game with great art style and bad textures.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  12. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Doesn't support SLI/144hz = automatically crap for me.

No reason not to do 144hz in 2014.

13. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    not only that but it could also run better and be half the size:banana:

idtech5 failed, they should just accept it, swallow the pride, ditch it and move on. Maybe in a distant future when there are acessible 500tb storage devices and 50tbps internet, megatextures will be actually great.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Have people forgotten that they have moved on? Doom is running on idTech6 and will be the first game shown/released on the tech.

And really, people are still complaining about the install size of idTech5 games? Really? When Max Payne 3 was 30GB, CoD Ghosts was 40+. BioShock: Infinite (an Unreal Engine 3 game) is 40+.
    Watch_Dogs, Thief... and plenty of others. Games are getting bigger. It's natural progression.
    Hell, this just reminds me of when games started hitting the 1GB size and people freaked out.

There's nothing wrong with the engine. It's fully capable of all the big, fancy features people seem to gush over.
    As with any engine, it's the developer and how they use it. There's a huge reason The Evil Within looks and plays completely differently then Wolf: TNO.
    Or how RAGE feels different from Wolf. Just because an engine is capable of all the shiny, fancy new tech features doesn't mean the developer wants, or feels the need to use them.

15. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Flame

Every engine is worth it. You can realize that if you write your own.

16. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    I agree with the thread author for the most part. No SLI support is a massive annoyance for me.

I really enjoyed playing Wolfenstein: The New Order but I did wish it was made using another engine!

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Gee...no love from an AMD user for an idtech engine. Who'd a thunk it...

18. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    The textures in Wolfenstein weren't actually bad. But there's still a lot of texture pop-in. Not to mention the 60 fps lock, and no multi-GPU support. They need to fix these problems of just stop using the engine.

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Like I said before.

there are games still coming out that look worse then it.

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    It's called business. You can't only sell to the smallest number of users and expect to turn a profit. Especially not these days when games cost hundreds of millions to make.

Back to the OP: yes all those engines CAN produce great looking games, but there are FAR more crappy looking games on every one of those engines you listed than there are great ones.