HyperX Cloud vs Sony Gold Wireless

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by djmusic10, Oct 6, 2014.

1. djmusic10

djmusic10 Active Member

I am getting this headset for both PC and Ps4. Which has better quality?

2. Kev1

Kev1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX960 4GB
    I can't find specs on the Sony, but the HyperX Cloud has 53mm drivers, 60 ohm Impedance, and 15-25k frequency response. That is excellent for a headset, and not many have similar specs.

I think it is going to come down to whether you mind having a cord or want the freedom of having a wireless headset. If the Sony has the standard 40mm drivers, 32 ohm impedance, and 20-20k frequency response, the HyperX Cloud would sound better, as long as your PC and PS4 had the dacs to power it. The HyperX Cloud comes with a PS4 adapter so I guess the PS4 does.

3. jaykowalski

jaykowalski Guest

GPU:
    Ati x1950
    Dont look at the specs, they say nothing. I cannot find any reviews of them. I would buy Sony, i have more trust for sony.

4. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    HyperX cloud is Takstar Pro 80

The HyperX Cloud is a Takstar Pro 80 headphone with a mic added on.
    The Qpad QH-90 appear to be the same as the HyperX Cloud
    To me the Takstar Pro 80 is about the best sounding headphone I know of for under $100.
    If Sony put their name on it, it would sell for $150.

I own the Gemini HSR-1000 headphones, which are relabeled Pro 80s

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Wireless headsets are generally to be avoided. You'd be getting a generic soundcard (DAC) built into a small space into the headphones when you're using wireless digital audio transmission, as is the case here. To avoid that issue, you would want the DAC to be connected to the audio stream source, then transmit an analog signal to the headphones, which would cause noise and degraded quality.

In short, unless an absolute necessity, stay away from wireless and go for wired headphones. The HyperX Cloud tend to be rated well for closed headphones at that price point as they use Beyerdynamic drivers on the inside. I've heard the Cloud and it seems to sound well for closed headphones in its price range.

Since PS4 supports external USB audio DACs, then getting something somewhat portable (+ amp), like the Sabre U2 DAC + FiiO E09 / E11 / E12, FiiO E07K / FiiO E17K / FiiO E18K would give the headphones the power they need to sound much better.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  6. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Own one that PRO 80, and I have to agree it's the best sounding headphone on my budged. Even Takstar HI 2050 doesn't sound as good as the PRO 80

So I can recommend HyperX Cloud