650 ti errors - I'm losing my mind over this one

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DrivingDrivers, Oct 5, 2014.

1. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    I've been asking around all possible forums, and nobody could help me with this... I might as well ask here! I was considering putting this under nvidia drivers section, but I just have no idea if this is a drivers related problem.

I bough a new computer, everything new except my GPU (650 ti, 2gb). I use the old one. I installed the same version of windows (8.1) as before, when everything worked fine. I'm especially talking about Max Payne 3. It worked OK on my old computer and it works very well on my new one, except, I get random freezes. Since day 1.
    Well I can't really say "day 1" because freezes are random - sometimes it happens after one hour, sometimes it doesn't freeze at all, but rule of thumb, I get 1 freeze per 3 days, for sure. On my old computer, this didn't happen (granted, I didn't use the latest drivers).

Also, when game freezes, it doesn't actually freeze - I hear background noise and I can press escape and hear the sound etc., but the image is still, frozen, then turning to black. I can "gracefully" leave the game (click by memory).

So, the error is always the same. Firstly:

and then:

Here's the part where it gets interesting: when I ran max payne 3 with '-safemode' parameter, the game froze, went to black, but then returned and I was able to continue. Of course, the game still produced the all familiar "nvlddmkm stopped responding" error in event log, but I was able to continue. "safemode" means that all settings are set to low, and directx 9 is used (usually I use directx 11).

Currently, I'm running MSI Afterburner and here are the stats:

[​IMG]

Is this normal? Almost 100% gpu usage...

Of course, I've ran:
    - memtest, for several iterations, 0 errors
    - checked disk for bad sectors, none (new disk)
    - 3dmark, no freezing
    - reverted drivers all the way to 314 (I can't even start the game with these drivers)
    - formatted windows (several times)
    - installed game anew
    - ran all sorts of tests with OCCTPT

I'm really, really losing my mind here. I don't think it's a hardware error, computer being new and these tests didn't show anything.

Another additional thing, don't know if related, but still worth mentioning: EACH and EVERY TIME I close VLC 64 bit, I get an error. I didn't notice anything, since VLC player doesn't shut down or freeze or anything. It works OK, but when I check event log, here's the thing:

This happens everytime, without exceptions, when I CLOSE the 64 bit VLC player. Interestingly enough, the 32 bit version does not cause any errors or troubles AT ALL.

Same exception code as max payne 3 when crashing. Interesting...

My hardware/software:

GRAPHICS CARD
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    Vendor: Asustek Computer, Inc.
    # of cards: 1
    SLI / CrossFire: Off
    Memory: 2.048 MB
    Core clock: 980 MHz
    Memory bus clock: 1.350 MHz
    Driver name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    Driver version: 9.18.13.3523
    Driver status: FM Approved

GRAPHICS CARD (SECONDARY)
    Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4600
    # of cards: 1
    SLI / CrossFire: Off
    Memory: 0 MB
    Core clock: 350 MHz
    Memory bus clock: 667 MHz
    Driver name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Driver version10.18.10.3907

Other specifications
    Operating system: 64-bit Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z97X-Gaming 3
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4670
    Reported stock core clock: 3.400 MHz
    Maximum turbo core clock: 800 MHz
    Physical / logical processors: 1 / 4
    # of cores: 4
    Package: LGA1150
    Manufacturing process: 22 nm
    TDP: 84 W
    Memory: 16.384 MB
    - Module 18.192 MB Crucial Technology DDR3 @ 667 MHz
    - Module 28.192 MB Crucial Technology DDR3 @ 667 MHz
    Hard drive model: 1.000 GB WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    BIOS updated for your board ?

3. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    Yes I believe it so, will check the version again though.
    Also, how could bios updates (or lack of) cause the nvlddmkm to stop responding?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Seems the only thing left that you haven't tried

You say its not likely to be a hardware problem because it's new, makes no difference how new things are, they can still be faulty, and as you have reinstalled windows and drivers multiple times....

Have you tried giving the GPU some extra vCore ?

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Oh boy the infamous "nvlddmkm" error.
    My friend is experiencing the same thing with 570. Random freezes and stuff.
    He lost hope, hes getting a 970 next week.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    Yes I agree, that's why I've ran many tests and excluding hardware was done also because these tests came back "clean" - no errors.
    I haven't been chaning core voltage yet, what would be an appropriate value for 650 ti?

I feel exactly the same, but the funny thing is, I changed some hardware but kept the same GPU and now these errors.. before it wasn't like that at all. Odd.

7. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    a suggestion:

support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

to adjust the time out error

edit: yes it works for win8 also.

8. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    Yeah I found this in my countless hours of finding a solution, however, I disregarded it as a "not a windows 8(.1) solution".
    This "fix" program changes the values in register, correct?
    Will give it a try for sure.
    Thanks!

Any suggestions, still? I'd like to have as many options as possible.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why dont you listen Extraordinary and download a MSI AB bump a little vCore and see what happens? Maybe GPU needs little more voltage.

10. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    i actually found that in a win8 forum

i'd suggest you consider the manual method so if it continues you can change the values back.

11. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    I actually asked for how much should I increase the core voltage in MSI AB.
    By default I get no value:

[​IMG]

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Enabled voltage control and monitoring? +25v should be enough to start with...

13. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    Yeah I just enabled the control and monitoring.
    Current stats are: min 0.875, max: 1.087
    Does this mean anything?

14. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    Today I got these errors (another freezing):

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    \Device\Video3
    Graphics Exception: EXTRA_MACRO_DATA

The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    \Device\Video3
    Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000002

\Device\Video3
    Graphics Exception: MISSING_MACRO_DATA

\Device\Video3
    Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000001

Any ideas?

15. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    another piece of detail: my 650 ti is "OC edition", meaning that it's factory overclocked. Could this be causing issues?

16. Bluhman

Bluhman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770, 2GB
    I actually have a very similar problem, where my game will similarly have its image freeze, but sounds that were playing at the time continue normally (i.e. Ambient noise continues to loop properly, last playing sound effects play through, etc.) One time I had this happen, minimized my game, opened up a new copy of it, and ended up with separate instances of the same game where one was running perfectly and the other was just a frozen screenshot of that same game from a couple minutes ago.

Much like you, I did a crapton of tests and found absolutely no evidence to show that my GPU, CPU, Hard Drive, Memory, or anything were failing. Max temperatures well in safe ranges for everything, but still freezing.

That all said, despite the problem recurring regularly, I only ever got a single "nvlddmkm" error recorded in my event log, and this was when I was using a superclocked card. After I bought a replacement standard-clock 770, the frequency of the freezes dropped drastically - they still happen now and again, but extremely rarely. Enough to make me a neurotic wreck, but that's maybe more my fault than the computer's. Still not sure why the exact same thing is happening, and still the event center only recorded that one specific error.

What version of drivers are you using? From what I've read on it all it's really seeming to me like it might be related to NVidia drivers in some way. Running on 340.52 drivers for a while, there were frequent situations where, upon doing things like accessing new areas of map or just opening/closing menu screens a lot, the game's FPS would spike for a second before returning to normal. Likewise, freezes were a lot more frequent on this driver. I rolled back to 337.88, and the number of lag spikes or full-freezes I got dropped dramatically. In case I don't get any more help for my issues I'll probably try out 331.93 drivers; apparently those should be even better for timeout, from what I've been told.

Good luck, though. This definitely sounds like what I'm suffering from as well, and I hope you can find the solution!

17. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    Thank bluhman for your side of the story.
    There are several things that are related, however, my issue seems to be more straightforward, I keep getting the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." warnings.
    I'm wondering, is this a software issue and if I'd still experience it with different GPU, or is this somewhat related to the hardware as well?

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Uninstall GFX driver and reinstall it. Should choose custom option and disable NV audio before install. ;)

19. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Giving the card a bit extra voltage fixes this its an old problem, 3rd party Vendors not give enough voltage in there bios.

20. DrivingDrivers

DrivingDrivers Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 Ti / 2gb
    I reinstalled it several times (clean uninstall in safe mode etc.), I always install JUST THE DRIVERS, nothing else. Thanks anyway!

Thanks, however, I asked before what would be ideal settings? What value should I put in the msi afterburner?

[​IMG]