Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fender178, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Hey guys,

I am interested in purchasing a mechanical keyboard but I am not sure which one to choose. I was looking at the Logitech G710+, The Corsair Vengeance K95, the SteelSeries 6Gv2 and the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014.

I was wondering which one would be the best one to purchase. 3 of them have programmable macro buttons and 1 of them does not which is the Steel Series one.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    There's been several threads on this already man, use the search.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would skip the BlackWidow, you get near enough no features for what you pay.

I went with G710 because it was the only keyboard offering everything I wanted. You kinda need to decide what switches you want to go for before you go out to buy one.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I did some research and to me the brown switches will be good enough for my needs.

I Did and it was a huge help thanks.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
  7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Fine. Although I am no expert in the differences between the switches. I had a mechanical keyboard thead hear like 5 6 weeks ago. I got some good advice in that thread I'd link it but am on my cell phone. Though nobody told me to use the search function in it.

8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I bought in to the BS of MKB's too. It's all lies.

A half decent membrane KB is every bit as good. Especially if it's one that has the word 'gaming' contained within its' title. Anything named 'gaming' is by default better and makes you a better games player.

It makes you stupendous and , alphanumerically speaking...1337!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They're the fastest switch available for typing, at least for me. Once you get used to the resistance, you can fly through documents in no time. Gaming wise they're great too, although they aren't as "clicky" as the other switch types.

It's definitely not all lies. If you finger type and play games and do nothing else, I could understand the disappointment. I'll meet you half way and agree that they are overhyped, and far too many people say "you need one" just because. But as I said, if you have a legitimate need for a proper keyboard, there's no substitute for mechanical switches.

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI

HAHAHAHAHA!

No.

11. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

The Corsair TK linked is good. I had one.
    I used a Roccat Ryos MK Pro which in my opinion is the best, until the other day.
    I spilled pop over it =(

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well I have it narrowed down to 3. The Corsair Vengeance k70 and The Logitech G710+ and maybe the k95.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I was contemplating getting the g710+ but I banned their products after having to rma my g500 mouse 3 times to get a fully working product. Though they did send me 2 of the mice sealed retail package without having to send in the bad mouse. third time they didnt believe me and I had to send back the 2 borked mouse. ranging from mouse wheel not working, dropped mouse connections etc. the 3rd rma is still going strong though.

14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    I just went from the Logitech G15, which is a membrane keyboard (the W key finally gave up working) to the Logitech G710+ and am extremely happy.

The K70 doesn't have any macro keys so I went for the Logitech.

The new K70 RGB with 16 million colours has just come onto the market, so if the look of a keyboard is important to you I would suggest checking out some reviews.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    That sucks to hear about your g500 mouse issues mate. I had a g500 for tad past 2 years and never had a problem with it. I retired it with a g602 wireless and it is great mouse so far.

I am thinking of aiming for the g710 because it seems to have all the features that I need including macro keys.

Yeah I know about the newly released or going to be released K70 RGB it is a nice one but way to pricey. And Im going for the g710+

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
  17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    There's one big reason:

Durability.

I've had membrane keyboards die on me as early as within 1 year. Never with a mechanical.

18. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I'll be honest.

I was incoherently attempting sarcasm under the auspices of the holiest of libations last night. Really was drunk.

I have two MKB's and they're no better for gaming than my old MS MM KB which unfortunately died after ten years of abuse...

I have a CM Storm KB with Cherry Brown switches and an actual Cherry MX 5000 with white switches.
    The CM is marketed as a 'gaming' board and the cherry is a workhorse. Of the two I much prefer the MX5000. But alas it's too big for my limited space hence why I bought the CM board as it's TKL's.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
  20. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    The issue with membrane keyboards is that they wear out much quicker when doing stuff like hitting WASD over and over. I've had good membrane keyboards last 5 years max.