Internal Fan Controller Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wsgroves, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I'm not sure, but as it supports PWM, I guess you can have a pwm signal out of your mainboard (usually only the CPU fan header, others are 4pin DC regulated in reality), and that little box should sent that pwm signal to each and every attached fan.

So, as I've read it, you should be able to control the fans via mainboard.
    On newegg, there looks to be a rather nice customer review, might want to check that out.

Is there a special reason you are looking for something like this rather than a traditional fan control hub for let's say a 5,25" bay?

3. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

Thanks fan.
    Yes my new case does not have any 5.25 bays. I guess if worst comes to worst I will use that, or take my fan controller that I already have and use it internally.
    PITA but I rarely change the speeds so...

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well then I understand why you didn't opt for a traditional fan control.
    I hope your plan works, I'm always interested in things mattering with fan controls, and I didn't even know that something like that piece existed :D

5. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I wouldn't trust that fan controller.

I bought a Phantek Enthoo Luxe full tower and it comes with one of those fan controller inside. With the fan controller attached to the motherboard cpu header there seems to be no way to reduce fan speed.

With the pwn fan speed setting to the lowest my motheboard supports which is 0.75pwn/degree celcius they maybe run at 90% fan speed and any other setting ( which is higher ) simply causes them to run at max.

My motherboard supports pwn fan control for the cpu and for system fan 1, 2 and 3 and it doesn't seem to do anything on any of them.

The 90% thing could also be my imagination, it could simply be running at 100% all of the time.

I learned to live with it because I don't know of any other internal fan controllers and don't want to ruin my nice white case with a black fan controller shoved in the 5.25 bays.

6. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

I don't know if they are the same or not. The one you are talking about doesn't have the casing on it I believe? Maybe the internals are the same.

7. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    They are exactly the same, just doesn't have the top piece of plastic over it.

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I know it may not be PWM but have you though about geting a pci mounted fan controller?

I have two of the 3 fan version in my server and run them on the lowest, fantastic. (My server motherboard does not support PWM fan control).

Its a cheaper option anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    That looks awesome and is exactly what I want, I would have to get 2 of them but it would get the job done.