EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX has misaligned GPU vs heatpipes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm, looks like something went wrong there. I wouldn't be surprised if the performance suffered if all the 970 ACX models are like that.

3. naedtrax

naedtrax Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Official EVGA response.

"The way the EVGA GTX 970 ACX heat sink was designed is based on the GTX 970 wattage plus an additional 40% cooling headroom on top of it. There are 3 heat pipes on the heatsink – 2 x 8mm major heat pipes to distribute the majority of the heat from the GPU to the heatsink, and a 3rd 6mm heatpipe is used as a supplement to the design to reduce another 2-3 degrees Celsius. Also we would like to mention that the cooler passed NVIDIA Greenlight specifications.

Due to the GPU small die size, we intended for the GPU to contact two major heat pipes with direct touch to make the best heat dissipation without any other material in between.

We all know the Maxwell GPU is an extremely power efficient GPU, our SC cooler was overbuilt for it and allowed us to provide cards with boost clocks at over 1300MHz. EVGA also has an “FTW” version for those users who want even higher clocks.

Regarding fan noise, we understand that some have expressed concerns over the fan noise on the EVGA GTX 970 cards, this is not a fan noise issue but it is more of an aggressive fan curve set by the default BIOS. The fan curve can be easily adjusted in EVGA PrecisionX or any other overclocking software. Regardless, we have heard the concerns and will provide a BIOS update to reduce the fan noise during idle.

Thanks,
    EVGA"

In short they know it's a **** design and are trying to get out of it

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah we have seen EVGA statements like that in the recent past. Talking their way out of things. Laughable is all I can say.

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Could it be that they used the same cooler thats on the 980 to cut down costs? Seeing that the 970 doesnt emanate as much heat,they thought it will do ok ...either way, d**k move.Curious to see how it looks on the 980.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    All you need is a reference design card and a Arctic Accelero Xtreme :)

They are the Noctuas of GPU Cooling.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Damn. Evga is batting zeros.

You can see part of the gpu is coming in contact with the base of the cooler. It also looks like the gpu isn't even touching that third heat pipe. That's no bueno.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Yea, i started buying gigabyte thinking they are the same basically with their windforce coolers but no way.Arctic cooling is better and also a lot quieter.

Definitely my next gpu will be reference with Accelero on it.

9. naedtrax

naedtrax Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    I just noticed that one of those heatpipes aren't even "complete" and doesn't extend all the way.

Wow EVGA, wow.

10. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Wow that's a shameful display. Was leaning towards MSI anyways so going that route

11. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Lmao eVGA -_-

What a joke

12. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    Fatum Force :D or Law of Karma
    They make a mistake when they, took somebodys work
    The EVGA Precision from Russian guy and they dont give him credit or some Money :D

The Law of Karma -> Watch the movie HellRaiser

Maby they don't belive in Gods Force but It belives in Them :infinity:

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Referring to the bit in bold, I thought the same as EVGA when I saw the pics (even before reading the EVGA statement that you posted). The GPU die is not big enough to span the entire width of all 3 heat pipes, if they had shifted the GPU core to the right to contact all 3 heatpipes then there would have been 2 'gaps' (the bits inbetween the heatpipes) in contact with the core, whereas how they have designed it they only have 1 'gap' which is more efficient (a greater area of the die covered by heatpipe vs covered by aluminium block). As they say, the 3rd pipe (thinner pipe) is just there as a supplement to draw a little more heat away from the aluminium block. So, I don't think this off-centre die placement is an error, it's just part of their intended design to maximise percentage of die area covered by heatpipe.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems all fine to me.

It's the 6 MM one that's a bit shorter because there is a small raised area.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I doubt that.

You don't design and purchase a brand new revision 2.0 ACX three heatpipe cooler solution and then use only 2 of them just because it is convenient or 'by GPU design'. If it was done right the pipes would have been narrower and closer to each other, just like the example photo of the ASUS Strix in this post. I mean THAT is how it is supposed to be.

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Someone who understands :)

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    From Hilberts news post. If this is true, they did something wrong still. I don't know, I haven't read many 970 reviews, and surely not compared different 970 custom coolers, but if they really perform sub-par to others, it was either a misconception, or outwright faulty manufacturing.

18. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Stock cooler's more than good enough, no?

19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The stock cooler got improved, and when you pair it with significantly decreased power consumption, you get really good results. So if you want the air to be exhausted from the case by GPU cooler, the stock one should do the job.
    However, if I was buying one, I'd probably got with something like ASUS Strix, which should be pretty much noiseless under low load, and quieter/cooler with higher load, assuming that you have reasonable case airflow. For SLI setups, the stock cooler might be really good, perhaps even better than some non-reference designs. For example, when I was using 280x - MSI Gaming edition, the cooler worked really great in single-card setup, but in CF, one card was sucking hot air from another, overheating rapidly.

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    If it's noisy, it most of the time means the Fanblade Design sucks.

The ones Arctic Cooling use are dead silent for example, even at 2000 RPM.