MSI Gaming VS Gigabyte G1 970, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hemanse, Sep 22, 2014.

1. hemanse

hemanse Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning
    Picking up one of these in the comming days, but im a bit unsure wich one to get, i have narrowed it down to one of these from reading reviews and user feedback, but im still a bit torn.

Would love a little feedback from people that have already picked theirs up in here, pros / cons? leaning a bit more towards the MSI, mostly only based on the fact that its cheaper right now :)

2. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    What i know so far is i could be wrong with this what i am going to say, so anyone correct me if i am wrong.

The msi ones have a special fan control thing one of the fans stop spinning on iddle if they below 60c if am correct, so your iddle temps are always higher then other brands, but then again they are incredible silent under load.

I dont have a good repution with gigabyte in the past, but they probably already fixed there problems what they had before, so i cant really tell u wich one is better atm.

But then again if liked msi before u should like it again, with there upgraded twin frozr desighn.

Never change a winning team, so if u were happy with your old 770 u should have no problem with your new 970 from msi.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  3. hazochun

hazochun Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 OC Air
    I only have Gigabyte G1 970. I can say both are good but G1 970 is 300mm, much longer.

Msi Gaming is 260mm, they both got good OC ability and low temp. Also, Msi's 970 have more free gift and I got nothing from Gigabyte(just the Card, no disk, no free mice or mouse pad.)

I had a 2-3 years old Gigabyte 660, no big problems for basic user but it was unable to flash Unlocked/higher volts bios for me..

4. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Here is a review video, that what i mean with the fan stops spinning @ 60c.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vuh132EsuA#t=158

Edit: dont worry to much asus have the same idea the fans are also stop spinning after certain temps reach.

ASUS engineered their STRIX series with a unique feature. With the card in idle or a light load, the fans will stop completely, providing a perfect, noiseless experience. Once temperatures exceed 67°C, the fans will spin up, but do so very quietly.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/24.html

Not sure about the gigabyte version tho, they stick to there normal spinning desighn, but u need to ask hazochun about that, cause he owns one.

5. hazochun

hazochun Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 OC Air
    I am not really sure.

In my Msi afterburner, The fan speed(Auto) is 40% @ idle, i guess it is spinning all the time

6. giant85

giant85 Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    very interesting

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It may have changed with newer versions, but my experience with a windforce 3 fan card (570) was that the fans and plastic frame holding them to the card were flimsy and thin and I worried every time I pulled the card out that something might break. The current MSI gaming I have is much sturdier although not as cool and quiet as the windforce was much easier to handle, aside from the smaller size which was a big plus for me.

Personally I'm more interested in cards where the fans dont have to work all the time like the strix and the new MSI gaming (1 fan stops at low or light load).

8. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    The MSI is the better card in my opinion. 2 larger 100mm fans will be quieter than 3 smaller fans. twin frozr has a great reputation of being quiet but still very capable coolers. I'm sure twin frozr V will be amazing. I am waiting for the MSI gtx 980 gaming card before i purchase the gtx 980. The reference cooler is holding it back and causing it to throttle down to 900-1200 mhz during intense gaming. Contrary to popular belief its not the same cooler as the titan they removed the vapor chamber and put in regular heat pipes which hurts it severely.

9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    You can have the fans spinning in idle using a custom fan profile. My 970 idles at 29C, tops out in the 50s in 3dmark.

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    New fins/material on the windforce according to reviews.
    I ordered the gigabyte my self.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nice. Good luck with gigabyte, how it's not broken on arrival! 970 are great!

13. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    My last 2 Mobos and prev gfx card all Gigabyte - the VGA died but happened only when my ****ty old PSU chose to try and fry my PC. Anyway basically I've not had a bad Gigabyte experience so far. I've had trouble with ASUS times a plenty, but not one thing has gone wrong in the G camp yet - If this time something goes wrong and its broken on arrival , at least I'll know who to blame ><

14. hemanse

hemanse Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning
    Thanks for all the replies seems like they are basicly both good cards, since the mi here is about 40 dollars cheaper i think im gonna go with that. Just didnt have the best experience with my 770 lightning it has 0 OC headroom "stock" it tops out at 80 degrees with kombustor.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Allright, looks like most of you are in favor of the MSI card.

Still, I cant believe that noone has tried them in SLI :)

16. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    [​IMG]

Just my gigabytes installed.

Looks nice, now to do some becnhmarks.

One problem i had, was that i could not get 2560x1440 on my asus pb278q with displayport.
    I changed to hdmi and it works. (nice with new hdmi standard)
    I will see if driver or bios update will get the displayport to work.
    (it did work with my old card, asus gtx680 4gb.)

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Nice! How are the temps?

18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Both are good manufacturers.

Better than this:
    Does the EVGA GTX 970 Feature a Manufacturing Defect?
    etekniz.com/evga-gtx-970-feature-manufacturing-defect/
    (change "z" with "x"). :D

Congrats pimpernell for your cards.Nice :)

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If i remember correctly the package does not come with anything but the card and a driver CD.

20. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    The windforce name lights up? IMO,with the backplate,this or the Asus 970 Strix with backplate. If the windforce lights up,I'm all over the Windforce 970..