Nvidia Promises To Support AMDs FreeSync

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nice! I will only have to ensure DP 1.2a compatibility with my next video card and monitor then?

3. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Sometimes I wonder if publications like this even want standards. Everybody was complaining that nvidia was going to be making a closed system, and then nvidia says they will also support the open system, but by doing that they are cast as "Stealing the limelight"

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I really hope Google Translate made a mistake here....
    Cuz I'd hate to see Sweclockers posting such BS themselves.

The monitor has to support Adaptive-Sync, not just DP 1.2a. Adaptive-Sync is an optional feature.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Great news, although the article is laughable if that translation is accurate.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well doh, I already said this in one freesync thread, its nothing special.. :p

Nv supports vblank since forever and its enabled by default anyway, at least in OpenGL driver part, Dx too by the looks of it.

I will rather get me a free sync monitor if Im gonna get a new monitor, imo it looks more driver friendly & less buggy in general.

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Effectively, same thing, i hope this is the translation, because reading it this way, it look like they have invert AMD and Nvidia name in the line concerning Vesa..

Anyway, good news for everyone.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    My eyes nearly popped out when you said "it's nothing special" about something AMD owns. Ie. FreeSync.

But after examining it more carefully,
    problems with drivers... "buggy"... you are talking about Nvidia? G-Sync?

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    By nothing special I meant this vblank yes, not AMD freesync tech and yes buggy g-sync.

This freesync actually looks like it will be plug and play, not wait for driver fixes like by g-sync..

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Two of us should swap our VGAs. So we can both have optimal (driver and vsync) experience.

Your 780 for my 290. I'll even throw in Acc. Xtreme 4.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Just out of curiosity I thought about this: Will they then build screens with ULMB and freesync, so you can use them both at the same time, not like the swift with either Gsync or ULMB? ^^

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Unless they consider and intend that they be used together, no. Strobing at a constant frequency with a variable refresh rate will cause nothing but visual artifacts. You have to have a variable strobe, which is pretty hard to accomplish while keeping the brightness the same (you have to know when to strobe and how much).

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, as you put it that way, it makes perfect sense. Faulty thinking on my side.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Then I hope it won't be too premium a feature on monitors!

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    It's google translate getting it wrong, the sentence is correct in swedish.
    Other than that error, the translation seems to be ok enough.

16. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    I thought that it will take longer. Now time for the Mantle. Why? Because if AMD will give full support Mantle for Linux, people on Linux immediately will change for AMD, and that means the loss of minimum tens of thousands of customers for NVidia.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So what is the difference between freesync and gsync? and please, no one say "nothing"

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No one knows because Freesync isn't out yet and AMD hasn't really went into super detail about it. Supposedly it works all the time though, not just in games like G-Sync does. So it probably won't be as driver dependent which is nice. It's also about $80 cheaper than G-Sync equivalent monitors, which is also nice.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Which would be a bit of kick in the teeth to all those who've ran out and got G-Sync monitors, as if they'd have known they were also going to support AMDs FreeSync, they could have waited, and saved some cash.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    That really depends. I mean I don't even know what the added cost of a G-Sync module is to an OEM or what I paid for it in say my Swift. Also does FreeSync really do everything G-Sync does? Is there more or less latency added? Is there anything else Nvidia can do with a beefy FPGA in the display? I mean what if all of a sudden Nvidia is like "OH BTW FIRMWARE UPDATE - GSYNC NOW APPLIES 2xMSAA WITH NO HIT, SURPRISE"

Idk, need to wait for it to come out and see what happens from both sides.