Serious issues with my 970 SLI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by HonoredShadow, Sep 20, 2014.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    If I put one in no matter which one I have no problems. If I put 2 in it is not recognised by Windows. Only one shows and SLI does not show in the newly installed 344.11 drivers.

SLI worked great for 2 years with the latest BIOS and this mobo using 2 x 670's.
    I have tried with and without SLI bridges.

If I go into Nvidia CP and click on Phsyx (no SLI shows) but if I click on Phsyx settings I can't select a second card only the one that shows up.

Something weird I have noticed though. My BIOS used to show this memory at 1866 and an option for XMP but now it does not regardless of how/what cards are in. I don't know when the option went away as I have not been in the BIOS for about 4 months since I bought this memory. It used to show 1866 but now it only shows 1333.

I have since swapped BIOS's and still the same.

If I insert the old 1600 sticks in it still does the same. No XMP, no 1600 only shows 1333 and one lower 10 something or other.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    P67 mb are very old, maybe check and see if there is a mb bios update. If they even still update old mb like ours. I had no problems with 2 680s and 2 780ti currently in this rig.

3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So you suspect the mobo? I do find it weird an option went away for 2 lots of memory.

I don't think they update for this now. I'm on the latest.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Thats just a possibility. I would look at first.

5. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    What's the deal with your mobo's PCI-E lanes?
    Have you found any info on the interwebs about other people and SLI troubles on that mobo?

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    If you put back the 670 sli is everything normal? Thats what I would try next.

7. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Not had much time to search the net yet.

If I put in the 670's all is well again but at that point I did not look in the BIOS to see if the XMP and 1866 option had gone. I assuming they still would not have been there. I will checked later.

I can't believe I spend this much money to then have to spend more on a mobo/CPU :(

8. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

That is what I would check first. Put the 670 sli back in the system and see if they work.

9. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    OK. Will do it now...

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Try actually reflashing the bios as well as it can become corrupted.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    If you have your oc profiles save like I do I would load that up or reflash the lastest bios too like veteran said before taking out the 970s if the problem persists put in the 670 sli.

12. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Ok that's weird. SLI is not showing up any more and only one 670 shows up in device manager...

13. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

I would also like to ask and you dont have to answer, but you dont use that program that registers a non official version of windows 7 do u? The boot loader program that activates it? I have seen it in the past on various systems make sli inoperable. I dont use it as I use 8.1 but if you do happen to use that program, find the latest version and use it and see if it fixes the problem. Im not advocating piracy im just throwing that out there. I dont use it.

edit, also if you have another sli bridge try it, i have seen them go bad and sli will not work.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    No I have official Windows 8.1 64bit with Classic Shell. Worked fine since I installed it about 6-7 months ago.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Even when loading them up they can still be corrupt. My R4BE had a Spaz attack when i first had it and i had all sorts of problems until i reflashed the bios completely and reset everything back to normal.

16. wsgroves

wsgroves Guest

You dont happen to have a spare system you could try the sli in do u?

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Tried the 344.16? Changes include "Fixes compatibility issues with 970/980

19. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    No I don't sadly.

20. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Will give that a go. Am desperate atm but I think something has gone wrong with the mobo as options that were there are no longer there and SLI was working this morning until this afternoon when I put in the 970's.