GTX 980 Ti Or 990 In The Next Few Months ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thats the link i posted around 20 mins ago. :)

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Dual card gm204 990 and titan 2 based on big daddy Maxwell both priced $1000+ imo

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah even if a dual card does come then im still gonna go with singles this time around. Had nothing but great experiences with Dual cards but i just fancy a change this time around.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Oops, im blind :(

Could we see AMD pull out of the GPU market, as they have their CPUs, APUs, and all the consoles, or could they actually drop their 290s to £200 or less (which i personally can't see, as they would have to re-price their whole range, and would probably be selling at a massive loss), or are they ok just to ride out the massive hit for the next few months or so, until they can get something out to counter ?

I really fear for AMD here, as the 9s are just incredible, if thats what they can do still on the 28nm, what is their 20nm going to be like :eek:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    NVIDIA being aggressive vs AMD, will always make amd lose. up to the 970 980 release, nvidia been playing very passive and allow some breathing room for AMD.

All in all, nvidia needs AMD to be alive, even barely cause if they won't, intel and nvidia will be monopolist and the EU organization will have a lot of bad stuff coming to them.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol AMD won't pull out of graphics, they are fine -- they just need something half decent and win in either performance or price. Worst case they just spin off their graphics department and sell it to someone who has the money to throw at it and compete.

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    We've seen this happen before, AMD will probably just drop prices. It's no different from when the 8800GT was released and AMD had the 3850/3870 to compete. They did just fine with lower prices, hell I opted for the 3850 over the 8800 for the sake of saving £50. I was strapped for cash at the time though.

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I think amd can still release something that beats the 980 but it's gonna be like the current r9's, high 250 tdp, if not more, and super hot.

10. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    well since is the 390x:
    [​IMG]
    I'd say yes AMD's next cards will be power hungry and hot, hence that cooler.

11. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I think a Titan 2 will be the next offering :)

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, but how many people would opt for a huge hot power hungry AMD card, over Nvidias fantastically cool, very low wattage ones.

I know some people say no one cares, but lets face it, they do, when the 480 came out, it was absolutely slaughtered for being power hungry, hot and noisy, same for the 290s when they came out, people do care.

I just can't see how anyone would take a very hot 400w card, over a very cool 150w card, even if it was faster.

We saw this with Nvidia when AMD brought out their 4 series, they had to crash their 200 series prices and sell at a loss for a while, but they could handle it coudn't they ?, i don't think AMD could, if they had to do it for a while.

If they did have something coming to compete shortly, then surely we'd have heard about it by now, but the silence is deafening. :(

With more damage coming from Nvidia over the next few months, with more of their 9 series cards coming, its looking bleak.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^ As bad as this will sound I think GCN has run it's course.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If AMD can survive the 2900XT years then they can literally survive anything. They'll be fine, relax.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not implying that AMD will fold it's not that deep. Just saying I hope they are working on a new architecture.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What? Are they not competitors? What is this?

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Ati survived some awful cards in the past. Nothing amd has out is awful in gcn. They aren't going anywhere. They will have to lower prices on current cards until new cards are released. Probably decreasing profit margins. IDK if amd has the same amount of money to put into research and development as nvidia. My guess is no. Maybe thats why there cards use more power and run hotter thannvidia counter parts . Just my opinion.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    GCN is complicated architecture which AMD uses to get to their target.
    On the left side you have CPU, on right side you have GPU.
    And generation by generation they are bringing them to one.

At point when some of integer operations will be automatically offloaded to GPU (be it one in APU or dedicated) AMD will reach its target.

They have to push that way and not sacrifice compute for few watts or fps.
    Because in the end those will allow us to play games with hundreds of thousands objects.
    And they may even be held completely in graphics memory (position, motion vectors, shapes) since we'll have HSA.

What we can see here now is simplest thing:
    For 2 and half year we did not have new architecture on either side, now nV released it and it is very good but we do not even know what AMD has actually ready behind corner.

(because as usual AMD does not throw much of information around)

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That link was more of a look at our review @ nordic hardware then anything else :p

Anyhow good to see it, if so soon.. Is 20nm/16nm finally ready? This is the bigger question then FULL GM210 chip.

20. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    They are, but i read somewhere something that applies both to intel and nvidia. if AMD is phased out, EU will declare intel as monopoly and maybe nvidia and DGPU monopoly as well, and they will cast some penalty over them, like regulation of prices etc...

They need AMD to be alive, and i think AMD is not going anywhere, nvidia can sustain lowering prices, however AMD prices are already low but they will lower it even more, which they will be selling R9 290X at loss.