Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Omagana, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    http://www.reckoningthegame.com/

Did anyone play this?

I picked it up on steam sale couple days ago after reading good reviews and gotta say I'm hooked. I'm surprised I didn't hear more about it when it was released (maybe I was under a rock), I'm about 9 hours in and really enjoying it.

Playing mainly as a caster, with points in magic, stealth and daggers. The combat is well thought out and makes it fun to mix styles, the game world is open with lots of side quests and so far the npc dialogue has been well done.

Well worth a swatch if you're into this type of game, especially if it's still on sale.

2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I had planned to buy it until I played the pre-release demo. The combat and movement was so "floaty" and the camera would snap around uncontrollably to the point of making me nauseous. I have not tried it since then.

3. kbozz71

kbozz71 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Played it when it first came out. Enjoyed it for about 40ish hours until it became extremely repetitive and level maxed at 40. The Legend of Dead Kel dlc is fun though if you like pirate themes. Story is weak, combat is fun, and everything in it from crafting to lock picking will be familiar.

Edit: Best played with a controller or you get some weird stuttering unless it was fixed.

4. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah playing with a 360 pad, didn't even try keyboard.

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    The game's development turned out so idiotically expensive ($30M iirc) they had to sell like 5 or 8 million copies to just break even...studio got axed, EPIC picked up the remainder and then axed that studio after excessive costs iirc. Doesn't make it a bad game though...sold what? 1.3M copies in the first year?

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I did wonder at the time if it was designed for a gamepad. From what read they went bankrupt because they were trying to design an MMO based on the same world at the same time as the single player game. That was a terrible idea too, trying to develop 2 new games at once is going to be terribly expensive and expecting a brand new IP to sell that many copies was ridiculous.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That and their boss spent a lot of money (Giving the developers all sorts of perks.) which their profits from this game didn't cover plus the ongoing costs of the MMO, shame they went under and they were also working on a second larger update to fix many of the reported bugs and add a more challenging difficulty level.

8. Illyrian

Illyrian Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4080 Aero
    Greatest RPG combat system of all time, I always play Warrior classes and as we all know Skyrim's weapon combat is like 10 years behind the times, so one day I hope to play a Skyrim where the combat can something like they got in Amalur.....

I've finished the game numerous occasions, and I'm not even much of a gamer, almost all games I play are sports titles.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I wanted to love that game but I found it far too bland and generic personally. It also had the ugliest presentation in a modern RPG ever IMO (the font was hideous!) and the graphics were functional at best with a short draw distance and lots of obvious and very noticeable LOD transitions. Music was nice though.

The whole game felt utterly uninspired and I just could not get drawn into the story or quests. I perservered with it for about a dozen hours I think before I stopped playing completely. It does everything expected of an RPG but it just doesn't do anything exceptionally in my view or add anything new to the genre. It lacked a personality of its own and anything to stand out from the crowd. I think that is why it ultimately failed to sell very well. It was solid gameplay wise...just not much fun to play unfortunately. :(

10. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hmm can't say I've noticed a problem Darren, although one review I saw mentioned the same thing. It's happened occasionally, where a texture will suddenly "pop" or a rock will appear in the distance, but it's rare. I'm playing at 2560x1600 with the settings at highest. The only thing that annoys me somewhat is I feel the camera is too zoomed in during combat, which I suppose is remnant of it's console development.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Omagana - It reviewed OK but it did not sell very well I believe. If it had been then we'd have had a sequel by now.

If the game had come out a decade ago then I would have been far more impressed with it but it is so similar to many other fantasy RPGs I've played over the years that it just felt instantly over-familiar and dull. It is not a bad game at all, it is very solid and mechanically sound in terms of combat and quests, but I just found it difficult to become immersed in and, unfortunately, for me that killed my interest in the game completely.

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Late to the party, once again...but I'm really enjoying this game. Gameplay isn't difficult but the combat is fun hack and slash and relaxing with a gamepad. Good art style and fantasy setting and lots of lore to back it up. Runs beautifully at 4K, my only criticism would be the texture quality isn't very good.

13. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    played this when it came out and with a mouse & keyboard - i thoroughly enjoyed it! I guess it fell flat as Skyrim came around the same time but I enjoyed it as a standalone action RPG and played all the DLCs as well. Would definitely love a sequel to it but i dont think thats happening anytime soon.

14. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Best RPG of its generation IMO. Lapped up all 100 hours of it and only wish I could have another outing to do the same with.

15. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    Yeah great game. I *loved* the lore, it was something else.