Review: Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti KalmX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti KalmX. Palit's offering is the most silent of them all, as it uses passive cooling. That's right, just a big heatsink is being used. The KalmX runs reference c...

Review: Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti KalmX

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I like that temp not bad for no fan huh?

3. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
    I know it is to eliminate CPU bottlenecks, but use a 130W CPU to test this card make no sense. Why not use something like i5-3570. It is more balanced and real config.

4. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    Sorry but it is your comment that makes no sense. The sense of using a high end CPU is exactly as you put it yourself, to eliminate a potential CPU bottleneck.
    Even if they did use a high end i5 processor as you suggest it probably wouldn't make a difference but it would leave it open to questions regarding the CPU's performance. Either way, why would they use an Ivy Bridge CPU instead of Haswell?

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    1) Graphics cards are all tested with the same components so we can COMPARE performance objectively.
    2) Why would you want to limit a graphics card ?
    3) That CPU would not make a real difference. The GPU is the bottleneck, not the CPU.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The easiest thing is to put a single, quiet 120mm fan on it and see temperatures drop by half. Nearly no cost, if you pick the right fan quiet, and hardly power consuming, an even pwm by mainboard/software linked to it's temperature if you do it right.

7. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    Why would you bother doing that? You turn a dual slot GPU in to a triple slot GPU for less benefit than just buying a silent running, dual fan cooled AND overclocked version from the off... FOR LESS MONEY than this is.

8. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    A 500-600rpm fan on this will be extremely quiet. I doubt any ready made cooler can compete especially if it has two fans. Triple slot is the way to go if you want it really quiet...I've been using that for at least 5 years now.

Arctic Cooling S1 plus one low RPM 120mm fan.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. Also, back in the day, the Radeon 5770 with passive cooling from Gigabyte (Silent Cell it was called), with a mounted 120mm fan on it, was the best overclockable card on the market, because it simply had the biggest heat sink and best contact between it and GPU/VRMs. I'm also not sure any card can be as silent as two silent fans, because with the fans you can go for lower rpm than most idle gaming / overclocked cards.

This scenario might not be considerable for anybody that doesn't care about silent cooling, but it's about as quiet and cool as it gets without going h2o. Also, cooler cards last longer. My 5770 is running since 2010, and now working in my HTPC. There it has two 120mm fans mounted on it that are less than 15db loud. If the CPU cooler wasn't on, I couldn't hear if the fans were running from 1m / 3feet away. I had the room inside the case, a two spare fans, and a free plug at my fan control. Why not, then? :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Arctic Cooling S1 plus and good airflow in the case will be enough even having no fan and as the boss has said this cooler with some surrounding fans will lower temps some

11. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    The gpu itself might work with great temps, however..in many cases the card does a lot better with a bit airflow closer to it, as the VRM and even RAM can become extremely hot on some cards. VRM temps are often neglected.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like Hilbert's review of the 780 Strix showed ;)

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    with msi cards (aftermarket cooled OCed ones at least) you can monitor vrm with afterburner.
    that is impressive for sure, however we have Hilbert's FLIR machine, all we do is wait, he'll be on it now i bet, with six 980s.