Review: AMD FX 8370 and 8370E processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we check out the new octacore AMD FX 8370 and 8370E. You guys have been hearing the word 'Vishera' for a while now and it is the codename for the Piledriver core based FX series process...

AMD FX 8370 and 8370E processor review

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So not much point upgrading from the 8350 then

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ehm, none whatsoever.

4. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    No Offence intended oh Great Hilbert Hagedoorn

But those Graphs on the Dedicated gpu tests are horrible and it mite just be myself and my friend but there a bit hard to understand due to been Color blind and having poor eyesight.

Back on topic sadly not anything special but hoping these make other FX chips cheaper here for when i do builds for friends.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    AMD would really benefit from having the full NB on board I think nowadays, and a move towards something other than the module-based architecture. With any luck, we'll see some new high end stuff out of them soon, but I really wanna give one of the Kaveri chips a go when I get some spare cash.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    On a related note intel rereleases x58 tomorrow.

7. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Although there's really nothing new here that couldn't be achieved by playing with the clocks on the previous CPUs yourself, I'm still pleased as the price reductions will mean I can upgrade my FX 6100 soon.

It doesn't look like the new chips overclock any better so it will probably still be best to save money and go for the 8320.

No new chips or pricing seem to have appeared on any UK sites I have checked but cclonline.com have the FX 9590 on sale for just under £160 so that may be what I go for when the time comes if the price is still the same.

My motherboard may struggle with the 220W requirement (MSI 990FXA-GD65) but my H80 should cope if I turn up the noise a bit.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  8. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    How does these compare to other AMD Fx's? Wondering as the first thing i noticed is the MASSIVE improvement in memory bandwidth around 70% increase compared to the older ones. So these are clearly using a newer stepping and has some modifications.

9. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Overclockers has them.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=1967&subid=1825

10. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Thanks, looks like the prices for the 8320 and 8350 are pretty much unchanged though :(

I don't check overclockers much these days but I used to use them all the time when I had a company car with free fuel so I could go pick stuff up from them. Now I tend to use aria and ebuyer.

11. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Here's your second chance at a Netburst-like expierence - AMD for the last decade

12. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I thought forsure you would be able to hit 4.9 with this processor... They are supposed to OC alittle better then a 8350.. 4.7 is a good number though if you are using air or there included AIO. Good review.

One thing about these processors is the how much you tweak the Northbridge, and if your doing sli upping the HT ups the bandwith to help with bottle necking.. I need to really get an Intel system going to compare..

Anyways if you have a lower budget this is the way to to go..

13. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    If you push both HT and NB to 2600MHz you'll get much better performance memory wise

14. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Got 5GHz and HT to 2800MHz out of my processor and Ram at 2400MHz.

15. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

Stilt disagrees!!! He just set a new record with 8 cores @8722mhz :nerd:

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I have a feeling AMD has a stack full of AM3+ CPUs that haven't been released but are intentionally put on hold every time intel decides to release something. AMD probably knows these chips aren't really worth anyone's interest, but as long as they keep releasing them, they remind people "hey BTW, I still exist and I'm still kicking". In other words, as long as intel doesn't get 100% attention every time they release a new product, AMD will still be fresh in people's minds, hopefully long enough until they release something worth the attention.

17. l_gel

l_gel Member

GPU:
    MSI r7850
    L3 cache latency looks improved by 100%.

18. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    They are still piles of crap when compared to Intel.. Why oh why did I not go Intel when I had 5 grand to burn. I hadn't been into gaming for quite awhile and out of the PC loop. I didn't do any homework when I made my purchase. I had no idea that Intel was so far ahead at the time. I just figured I'd get a fast AMD chip and it would be close to the Intel chip in its price range. Boy was I ever wrong! Yeah I can still play my games at 1080p with no lag but still, I know I made a huge mistake. When I get some extra cash, I am dumping AMD for good. Screw their CPU's and GPU's.. I am more angry with myself, not AMD. Its not their fault I was an idiot for buying their junk.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    So.... you don't keep up with PC stuff lately (and therefore don't have a need to upgrade), you had 5 grand to spend but you didn't even opt for AMD's highest-end product, you acknowledge your CPU keeps up just fine with your tasks, you bought into something that you SHOULD have known was already inferior during the release date, and yet you still complain. I too would be angry with myself in your shoes - that's a big chain of easily preventable scenarios.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Nothing wrong with their GPU's tbh. Buying ATI was probably one of the best things they did, considering how they're slacking behind Intel now.