Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Star Citizen Free until Sept 5th
Old
  (#1)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Thumbs up Star Citizen Free until Sept 5th - 09-01-2014, 23:00 | posts: 7,525 | Location: 127.0.0.1

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/p...dragoncon-2014

Use code: dragonflight2k14

Old
  (#2)
TR2N
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1000W
Default 09-01-2014, 23:17 | posts: 188 | Location: Proxima Alpha Centauri

Looks like a trial version valid till sep 5?
I doubt this is full game.

Old
  (#3)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 09-01-2014, 23:18 | posts: 7,525 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Yea, that's why I posted "Free until Sept 5th" lol

Old
  (#4)
signex
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AMD R7950 1100/1300
Processor: i7 860@3,7GHz /w HT on
Mainboard: MSI P55-GD65
Memory: 4x2GB Corsair 1400Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Nexus RX-8500 850W
Default 09-01-2014, 23:28 | posts: 5,252 | Location: Netherlands

Sweet thanks!

Ugh, downloading is really slow, 1.5mb/s.

Last edited by signex; 09-02-2014 at 10:11.

Old
  (#5)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 09-02-2014, 14:13 | posts: 7,525 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Well that was disappointing, for 13GB you get next to nothing

Got bored after a few minutes, not much to do at all

Pleased I didn't buy it

Old
  (#6)
Humanoid_1
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290X Gaming
Processor: Xeon X5650 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58A-OC
Memory: 24GB G.Skill TridentX2400
Soundcard: XFiGamer Pro/MordantShort
PSU: Antec 650 Platinum
Default 09-02-2014, 16:44 | posts: 234 | Location: Out There!

Bear in mind this is still not even considered a Mk 1 Alpha let alone Beta....

There is an incredible amount of content yet to come!!!

All there is meant to be out now roughly consists of:

- Hangar for some of the engine ready ships
- Ability to enter & walk around those ships
- Some Combat modes (Vs AI or PvP + a non combat mode)for a limited number of smaller vessels (only the Aurora for Free Trial I believe)
- Shortly there will be Alpha V0.9 update where racing will become available + Multiplayer matchmaking so you can play with friends + a new co-op combat mode + two new flyable (racing) ships: M50 and 350R

This Arena Commander is an ingame flight simulation mode and does not encompass any of the main details of the game - it is here to balance test ships, play testing and server load testing.
- Although it does give us a much anticipated taste of the game, it is still primarily a (combat focused) Test.

The main game is going to be a much broader experience with much more focus on exploration, trading, even mining and industry for those that desire it.
Branching off that will be possibilities from piracy or perhaps becoming a bounty hunter to help combat those of that ilk.
Larger multi-crew ships will encourage cooperative group play in all areas, something a great many of us have been Longing for in such a game for a long time.

The game has a PVE focus while allowing for PVP at the same time providing safer regions of space + options to reduce possibilities of PVP for that wish to avoid it.

Throw all this into a Huge gameplay area with possibly some of the richest background lore of any game to date in an ever expanding "known" Universe only limited by our imagination (CIG are always listening to our input too) provides a great background for the freedom to play in the ways we choose according to our own desires in a dynamic Persistent Universe which responds to our actions and will even change the flow of the fate of balances of power according to players actions on a whole.

The "living" Persistent Universe is filled with millions of NPCs with active real purposes within their various "ecosystems". When players destroy a freighter, the factory waiting on that cargo delivery will have to slow production until another resupply successfully reaches them...
- the possibly destroyed freighter will need all is components, from engine, navigation computers & weapons, to be supplied to the factory constructing its hull before final delivery is made and the ship can be put back into service.
This whole system of supply extends right back to the miners gathering & purifying the ores!

All this of course impacts market values as supply and demand fluctuate.
All this goes on all the time allowing players to dive in to any aspect of gameplay they feel they will be interested in. (successful enough players can even decide to invest in and run their own factories if they so desire!)

Play as Lonewolf, Pirate Lord with your own hidden asteroid base with fleet of ships at your command, or content yourself with more peaceful strategies of building up a successful business empire.
- or perhaps decide to crew up with friends and take the fight to the hostile Vanduul, seeing if you can find a weakpoint in their war machine and strike a painful blow, something that could gain you and your crew Universal fame perhaps!?

Well, though all this is yet a way off, we can start making friend and grand plans while using the early versions of the in game Arena Commander space simulator to hone our skills until the main Universe launches

Old
  (#7)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 690@1372-Vmod on H20-24/7
Processor: 4930k@4.2ghz-1.05v-H20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-H20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 09-02-2014, 17:11 | posts: 10,774 | Location: United kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post

Pleased I didn't buy it
CBA downloading, ive already seen it being an Original KS backer and i wasnt impressed tbh. It will be good i think, its just gonna take a couple of years.

Old
  (#8)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 09-02-2014, 17:19 | posts: 7,525 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Yea agreed it likely will be great, I just can't understand why it was 13GB for such a tiny amount of game

Old
  (#9)
Yecnot
Master Guru

Videocard: GT 640@ 1200/950
Processor: Intel Q9300@ 2.5Ghz
Mainboard: M57 - LGA775 Q35 Chipset
Memory: DDR2 667 4GB
Soundcard: Soundmax Onboard
PSU: Atec 250W
Default 09-02-2014, 17:54 | posts: 490 | Location: Memphis CDC Quarantine

Quote:
Yea agreed it likely will be great, I just can't understand why it was 13GB for such a tiny amount of game
This isn't the game with the "infinitely expanding universe"? I'm not so caught up on the indy scene.

Old
  (#10)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 09-02-2014, 18:27 | posts: 7,525 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yecnot View Post
This isn't the game with the "infinitely expanding universe"? I'm not so caught up on the indy scene.
Not in this download it's not, you don't have very far to fly until it tells you that you're about to hit the edge of the simulation zone, if you hit it, you die

Old
  (#11)
Seketh
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Memory: 8GB Vengeance @ 2000Mhz
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 09-02-2014, 20:11 | posts: 1,577 | Location: Covilhã, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid_1 View Post
Bear in mind this is still not even considered a Mk 1 Alpha let alone Beta....

There is an incredible amount of content yet to come!!!
Yeah, the problem with Star Citizen is that it became the greatest scam ever. Not ilegal, people spend ridiculous sums of money for equally ridiculous content, with no end in sight.

By the time they actually make a fully playable game, they already made millions.

Old
  (#12)
WildAce
Master Guru

Videocard: 3x 4GB AMD 290's
Processor: Intel 4790K @ 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme 4
Memory: 16GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 1200w
Default 09-02-2014, 20:33 | posts: 222 | Location: Monroe, MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seketh View Post
Yeah, the problem with Star Citizen is that it became the greatest scam ever. Not ilegal, people spend ridiculous sums of money for equally ridiculous content, with no end in sight.

By the time they actually make a fully playable game, they already made millions.
Worst and most ignorant post i have seen here in the Guru3d.com forums.

it is not a scam, and it is being fully crowed funded with no investment by large banks or publishers they have not "made" millions, they have stock piled millions which all goes in to the games development. they do not just pocket the money without doing the work needed to get the game out, they get normal paychecks out of the money they have collected.

Chris Roberts did not just stick the 52million they have in the bank and run off to the bahama's, they have so much done for this game we just have not seen it all, one of the biggest things they plan to have in by the end of the year or shortly after is full double precision which essentially gets rid of the primary limiting factor we have in games and that is being a game world with a rough max of around 8Km x 8Km to one that is capable of over a 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 Km game area.

That alone is a major under taking and a major advancement for PC gaming, which they have to write them selves for the cry engine converting it to double precision. that is just one of the major back end features they are working on that we do not really see.

so much is being worked on in parallel too they have multiple studios around the world all working on different aspects and the simple fact that they have a working dogfight module so early on is pretty amazing. if this was a normal published game we would not even know this game exists yet.

Old
  (#13)
Slikar
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX970 WF3
Processor: 4670k @4.0
Mainboard: ASUS Z87
Memory: HyperX 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Tt 630W
Default 09-02-2014, 21:19 | posts: 351

I honestly cannot even fathom how super amazing this game will be, i call this the next "WoW" of space sims

Downloaded it today, it looks like crap maxed out, and glitches are REAL! Of course i know its alpha and all.. i expected it to look bit better, but that will have to wait it seems.

Old
  (#14)
ScoobyDooby
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX970 G1 SLI & Qnix 27"
Processor: 2600K @ 4.6ghz w/ H100
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 8GB Viper Xtreme @ 1866
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire LE FW
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Default 09-02-2014, 21:30 | posts: 5,750 | Location: BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAce View Post
Have to agree..

People who claim that CIG is scamming or defrauding people of their money somehow, people who are willingly giving over money to participate in the game's development.. just wow.

Seems there is no end to the stupidity that is shown online day to day.

Old
  (#15)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
Default 09-02-2014, 22:54 | posts: 11,084 | Location: Finland

Quote:

Pleased I didn't buy it
It is pre alpha and 0.9v patch is not out yet so yeah.... What were you expecting?

There's SC thread already.

There are lots of stuff in that 13 GB that you are not able to see. There are some hidden assets plus other hangars and ships onviously take space.

Maybe it's just me (as a programmer) but CIG has exceeded my expectations in many ways.

Last edited by Anarion; 09-02-2014 at 23:01.

Old
  (#16)
Cubemonkey
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7970 1ghz
Processor: 2500k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: AsRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair AX850
Default 09-03-2014, 20:28 | posts: 162 | Location: NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
It is pre alpha and 0.9v patch is not out yet so yeah.... What were you expecting?

There are lots of stuff in that 13 GB that you are not able to see. There are some hidden assets plus other hangars and ships onviously take space.

Maybe it's just me (as a programmer) but CIG has exceeded my expectations in many ways.
I was impressed by the in-engine footage I saw coming out of Gamescom. Multiple players on a moving ship, firing turrets at other player ships. It worked. A player ran from a decompressing area into a sealed space. It worked.

With the Arena Commander module that we have now, we're really only seeing a tiny piece of what's going on.

When you consider the fact that full release will be in 2016, the amount that they already have done is solid.

Old
  (#17)
Seketh
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Memory: 8GB Vengeance @ 2000Mhz
Default 09-03-2014, 23:18 | posts: 1,577 | Location: Covilhã, Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAce View Post

it is not a scam, and it is being fully crowed funded with no investment by large banks or publishers they have not "made" millions, they have stock piled millions which all goes in to the games development. they do not just pocket the money without doing the work needed to get the game out, they get normal paychecks out of the money they have collected.

Chris Roberts did not just stick the 52million they have in the bank and run off to the bahama's, they have so much done for this game we just have not seen it all, one of the biggest things they plan to have in by the end of the year or shortly after is full double precision which essentially gets rid of the primary limiting factor we have in games and that is being a game world with a rough max of around 8Km x 8Km to one that is capable of over a 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 Km game area.

That alone is a major under taking and a major advancement for PC gaming, which they have to write them selves for the cry engine converting it to double precision. that is just one of the major back end features they are working on that we do not really see.

so much is being worked on in parallel too they have multiple studios around the world all working on different aspects and the simple fact that they have a working dogfight module so early on is pretty amazing. if this was a normal published game we would not even know this game exists yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDooby View Post
Have to agree..

People who claim that CIG is scamming or defrauding people of their money somehow, people who are willingly giving over money to participate in the game's development.. just wow.

Seems there is no end to the stupidity that is shown online day to day.
Yeah sure, have fun spending money, I mean, "funding" a game that you'll only be able to play in about 2 years.

They have more than enough crowdfunding. But hey, it's your money, have a blast "pledging" 60€ for a single ship in a non-existing game.

But yeah, I'm the stupid one. Stupid for reminding you that it became a scam.

Star Citizen is a prime example of crowdfunding gone wrong. I had such high expectations...

Last edited by Seketh; 09-03-2014 at 23:38.

Old
  (#18)
signex
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AMD R7950 1100/1300
Processor: i7 860@3,7GHz /w HT on
Mainboard: MSI P55-GD65
Memory: 4x2GB Corsair 1400Mhz
PSU: Nexus RX-8500 850W
Default 09-03-2014, 23:27 | posts: 5,252 | Location: Netherlands

It's not for me, i think i would have liked it if it was more arcade style.

Hitting the bots was pretty hard.

Old
  (#19)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 09-03-2014, 23:30 | posts: 26,804 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post

maybe they should have released a standalone download that is much smaller and only let's you play what is currently available. because I have to agree, 13gb download for not much playable content is a bit meh.

Blizz do this with their PTR and betas, standalone clients.

Old
  (#20)
Humanoid_1
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290X Gaming
Processor: Xeon X5650 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58A-OC
Memory: 24GB G.Skill TridentX2400
Soundcard: XFiGamer Pro/MordantShort
PSU: Antec 650 Platinum
Default 09-04-2014, 00:44 | posts: 234 | Location: Out There!

Quote:
Yeah sure, have fun spending money, I mean, "funding" a game that you'll only be able to play in about 2 years.

They have more than enough crowdfunding. But hey, it's your money, have a blast "pledging" 60€ for a single ship in a non-existing game.

Star Citizen is a prime example of crowdfunding gone wrong. I had such high expectations...
You can hardly say it became a scam when Chris announced was planning to close continued crowd funding after the main 1st Early push and build the game with what he had (+about an extra $16 he would obtain from investors)...

Before taking that route he asked us, the community, if we would like him to do that, or as many in the forums hoped keep the funding open so more money could be gained allowing them to hire more staff etc to add more content & add it earlier than planned.

What CIG are doing with the funding is what we wanted and Asked for, so it can in no way be described as a scam lol

CIG are also pretty damn open about where all the money is going too.
They have massively advanced many features ahead of schedule - like:

- creating a procedural generation team
- atmospheric flight and planetary landings
- planetary exploration

Those are some things that were not going to originally be tackled for many years yet, but thanks to the very successful funding they are working on them Now already ^^

You don't Have to put money into this project - which is what you are Really buying, not the ships, at this stage. A Great Many of us are Very excited about this project and the way it is being run, because of our faith in CIG and how things are turning out we enjoy "investing" fairly large amounts of money we can afford into helping advance this Dream of ours and make it as Good as it can Possibly become <3

Old
  (#21)
WildAce
Master Guru

Videocard: 3x 4GB AMD 290's
Processor: Intel 4790K @ 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme 4
Memory: 16GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 1200w
Default 09-04-2014, 07:26 | posts: 222 | Location: Monroe, MI.

Quote:

bahaha such a horrible post yet again..

you do not buy ships unless you really want to fund the project because they are all available in the game.

the minimum and maximum you need to pledge right now to get full access is $45 US which is cheaper than the brand new price of the game, CHEAPER than new price you get full mmo with no monthly fees and full 50 mission campaign single player for that $45 you NEVER have to spend another dime. it is basically a pre order that you get to play now and help steer development by giving useful feedback while testing.

you are right tho you are the stupid one for trying to claim it is a scam when it is clearly not. you just fail to understand how to project is funded or what your options are as a backer and what you get access to and when.

also why would i have to wait 2 years to play it, when i can play it right now? AGAIN another clueless comment by you. also don't forget that the single player campaign is being rolled out in likely 10 mission blocks like episodic content along the development path so we will get to test the early missions rather soon i think they are on mission 5 internally at foundry 42 in the UK.

And you claiming they have enough money just shows another example of you not understanding the project one bit. you really think 50million is enough to fund this game for 10 years? No it is not. remember there is no monthly fee for the mmo so the only money they will be getting is from new box sales and vanity item sales and useless credit sales for cash. but the door is open now for those interested to continue pledging more money if they "CHOOSE" too. once again no one forced you to pledge no one forces you to spend more than $45.

Spend $45 and enjoy the ride, or not that is your choice. but claiming something is a scam that you know nothing about is pretty silly.

this video is pretty fitting, 11min, 20seconds in it starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...oaHY_SVE#t=681

Last edited by WildAce; 09-05-2014 at 21:41.