Which SSD to chose?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by thatguy91, Aug 31, 2014.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm looking at upgrading my SSD. Currently I have a 120 GB OCZ Vertex 4.

I'm looking at getting a 240/256 GB, I thought of getting the AMD R7 SSD, but looking at the initial prices it's around AUS$200. That is pretty expensive!

The Crucial MX100 is around AUS$140, however I am a little put off by it not making full use of the controller, and it would be slower than my existing SSD. It's a bit trivial I know! The Samsung EVO 256 GB is around AUS$135, but I have heard they do have their disadvantages.

I then started looking at other options and came across the Transcend SSD370. Any thoughts on what they are like?

Okay, here is why I am asking:
    Transcend SSD370 256 GB - AUS$129

It does seem pretty cheap...

Here is the product sheet:
    http://www.transcend-info.com/Files/EDM/ProductSheet_SATAIIIseries_V14.pdf

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Below is a list of SSD I am using the EVO is the quickest I have using Samsung Magician bench

2 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 1 being used as OS drive in Rapid mode
    1 Samsung 840 250GB
    1 Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
    1 Samsung 830 128GB
    1 Crucial M4 128GB
    1 Crucial M4 64GB

mmmmmmmmmmmm Samsung all the way

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

For me it's a toss-up between the EVO 250 GB or the Transcend SSD370. I like that the SSD370 has MLC chips etc, I think I might be a little sceptical of it because it is so cheap.

In the sporadic reviews so far, the Transcend shows excellent read speeds but quite slow write speeds. It could just be the firmware needs time to mature since it's a very recent new series drive. I might give it a go...

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Crucial M550 256GB ?
    Has MLC

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That is AUS$189 vs AUS$129 for the Transcend SSD370.

6. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    There is a reason for that. The quality of the Crucial drives are far superior to a Transcend drive.

7. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ASUS GTX 760 in SLI
    I wouldn't get Crucial if you go to the Crucial forums at, http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/bd-p/ssd you can see a lot of problems with Crucial's current SSD's, which is why come November, I'm considering replacing my C300 128 with a Samsung SSD, as it is starting to display signs that it may be dying, such as it won't respond to the trim command, it loses freespace daily, on top of that it won't even run it's own internal garbage collection routine anymore.

I would go with a Samsung.

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    There is for sure a sheer amount of people who bought into the M500 / M550 / MX100 series Crucial drives due to their fantastic $ / capacity and great performance. Issues will be reported.

9. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    850 pro or evo, plextor has the same..with rapid as sammy,anywas get one that has the ability to turn your ram in to ssd cashing thingy hehehe to sleepy to type correctly,also check the prices and specs .good night

10. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Yup and as anecdotal evidence I haven't had a single issue with any of my crucial SSD's. Even my old M4 still benches like the day I bought it 3 years ago.

Just for reference that C300 SSD has 5 stars on NewEgg.

*Idk why the price on newegg is 499 for a Crucial C300 lol.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The upcoming Samsung 850 EVO looks good, I might wait a little longer :).

It hasn't been released yet, so might be a couple of months at least before there's any chance of getting one!

12. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ASUS GTX 760 in SLI
    My C300 128 is 4.5 years old, and the C300 series SSD is the first SATA 6G(SATA 3) SSD on the market as of 4 years ago, when it first come out it was a $500.00 SSD. The C300 series hasn't been made in over 2 years, all Newegg is doing is listing other sellers that have stock of the C300 left to sell out.

It could be time to update to Windows 8, but sadly not every game I have will probably run on Windows 8, as Windows 8 runs the TRIM command quite often. I'm kinda waiting until November however, as I'm waiting until some bills are paid off and then I will most likely get a new boot drive, and I might even try and get that ASUS RADIR Express PCI Express SSD before ASUS stops making it, or even get an Intel PCI Express SSD if I don't get another Crucial SSD or get a Samsung SSD cause the Samsung Utilities have the ability to update the firmware and run the TRIM command.