i really need help with my 2x gtx 690 quad sli escalation issues please!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cmgver, Aug 31, 2014.

1. cmgver

cmgver Guest

GPU:
    gtx 690
    I've read a lot of ppl with troubles with the 2x gtx 690 sli escalation but didnt find any solution jet :( Please help! How did u solve your problems with ur 2 x gtx 690 quadsli scalation problems? my email es cmgver[at]gmail

My quadsli doesnt work with many games, i have drastically drops of FPS from 130 to 10 in games like battlefield 4 and i cannot use sorround 3 screens in many games too. I discover by accident that when i use no SLI configuration then it works better with no FPS drops, so is not the RAM or CPU.

I bought the two gtx 690 for 3 screen sorround rig, in that moment i had three 27' cinemadisplays but the performance was horrible, i thought it was not possible, but now i have only one screen and the same problems persist :/

My rig is:
    2x gtx 690
    mb asus rampage IV extreme
    cpu 3930k
    4 x 4 gb Tridentx G Skill
    2 x 128 gb ocz vertex 3 RAID 0
    1 x 4 tb western digital caviar black
    monitor Asus swift PG278Q with g-sync
    windows 8.1 64 bits

bios firmware in my 690s are: 80.04.1E.00.90 80.04.1E.00.91

i updated the ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME to the latest bios firmware 4901

Thanks a lot! and i will appreciate any clue of how to solve my problem.
    CM

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Posting the same thing in a bunch of existing threads won't get you answers any faster.A new thread such as this one is the proper way.A free bump for you.

3. cmgver

cmgver Guest

GPU:
    gtx 690
    :/ man so much money and everything for this not to be working :( and i just were trying to reach old posts with ppl with 690s that are not common folks, the rest of the ppl just say change the card, but im pretty sure those guys knows how to fix it..

4. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Let's get this answered so you stop resurrecting dead threads.

1) Quad SLI is known to run like crap - most enthusiasts with money to burn stick to tri SLI for this reason.
    2) You cannot run surround gaming on more than two SLI'd GPUs - look at Nvidia's driver release notes.
    3) Your PSU may not be up to the task - what is it?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Piss off.

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Thread re-opened… please let's keep from insulting each other guys

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. cmgver

cmgver Guest

GPU:
    gtx 690
    thanks

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    You'd be better off selling both the cards and getting a two card sli or cfx setup. Maybe not what you want to hear but you'd get more vram, same or more core power (usable) at the same or lower cost.

Honestly, your graphics choice was poor.

9. cmgver

cmgver Guest

GPU:
    gtx 690
    at the moment i bought them they were the best, they just went out and i wanted to have something good for sorround 3 x 2560 x 1440 for bf4 that where going to be out, today there mor choices...
    i made a full rig of watercool and bought two waterblocks, backplates and everything, so.... selling is difficult for all the money invested and hard to get back. i would like to try more finding the solution, if not.... :/
    thanks for the answer ;)

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thats kinda hard to believe that 2x gtx 690 isnt able to run battlefield 4 like it schould.Ive also heard thatcNvidia recommends 3 cards at the most, maybe keep 1 and sell the other? But its really hard for me to believe if i can run it with a Single gtx 580 which is soooooo much weaker compared to your cards, plus you have a monster Cpu as well and i only ran a Fx 9370 @ 5ghz. Something is very fishy in your situation I would try diffrent settings, maybe even see if you can re-format your system.

Really sucks it sounds like a hell of a system!

11. cmgver

cmgver Guest

GPU:
    gtx 690
    yes is a really sad story.... i was like around one year studying and bulding the watercooling rig for many reasons, tests... imagine cooling 5 micros. i've tried everything because these fps drops!!!! is imposible playing even with one screen, you cannot kill nobody :/
    before taking the sad decision of selling one video card or whatever ill do, first ill try with only one card to test the performance, buy i want to read more and talk in the forums to see if i find another solution, cause is like surgery opening the watercooling rig.

one doubt that i have is that this only a problem with 2x gtx 690 and the rampage board? maybe with another board the 2x gtx 690 could work. Im afraid that if i bring another cards with this board the problem continues

thanks for ur answer dude

12. cmgver

cmgver Guest

GPU:
    gtx 690
    today traying with only one card i saw that the fps still tries to drop, but not drastically, maybe it means something... and with only one card i reach around 60 fps. with the 4 i reach like 140 but inmediatlly they go to 10 and even 1... maybe this helps :/

13. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Go into Nvidia Control Panel, select your game and change the power management mode from adaptive to prefer maximum performance.

Also check out your GPU usage & core clocks in EVGA Precision / MSi AfterBurner, see if they're fluctuating erratically...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  14. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Dude thats impossible! Your system has 4xgtx 680 basicly how in the hell are your fps getting so low? I dont know what to tell you iam not a Hardcore battlefield player as a matter of fact I hate battlefield all together lol.Try some diffrent games maybe its just a driver related issue with this game?

If I had your system id be testing these games.....
    1)Metro 2033
    2)Metro last light
    3)Batman arkham origins
    4)War Thunder-will only run 1 gpu
    5)Call of duty series, pick any one
    6)Theres more to gaming then just stupid Battlefield 4! Who cares about that game anyway theres much better games!

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Scaling degrades as you add cards in SLI or Crossfire. 4X scaling is awful outside of one or two games, and can even go into negatives. The OP is running Quad-SLI, which is insanity.

You are aware that a 690 is a dual-gpu card that runs in SLI?

16. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yes of course iam aware did you read my post??? I said he has 4 x gtx 680 basicly so that means what exactly? A 690 is equal to 2 x 680, so 2 x 690 would equal what? Yes iam aware its a dual gpu thank you for schooling me on the matter,I had no idea.
    7990 and 6990 are also single gpus right?

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Darkest said quad sli scaling sucks and I agree. The only scenerio that I would go tri sli is 4k, it is pretty much needed at that resolution.

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    They're dual GPU solutions, while it might be one card they function as dual. So in the case of a 7990 it runs in Crossfire, and a 690 runs in SLI. One PCB, two GPU's. When you use two of either card you're running quad. Quad scaling is terrible, tri-scaling is so-so.

19. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I wouldnt know ive never owned more then 2 card crossfire.But I have seen and heard 3 way crossfirevand sli rock!But obviously the more cards you add the less you get in return,or scaling goes down as mentioned.That kinda sucks if you ask me, we pay to double our performance right? Well howcome they can do it with 2 cards and not 3 or 4? Sounds kinda shady to me like Nvidia and Amd holding us back on purpose no?

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's not a case of holding back, it's a case of making them work together with current tech. Getting two cards to work together is difficult, if it wasn't you'd see perfect scaling. Meaning adding another card would give an increase in performance perfectly based upon that cards addition to GPU strength, and that doesn't happen. The more you add the less you get. You'll never find AMD or Nv recommend anyone goes quad.