Man vs Swan who wins?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by nz3777, Aug 30, 2014.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This is a true story but at the same time kinda sad & funny at the same time.My question do you guys think a Swan can kill a human being? A grown man for that matter?
    I was talking to a family member who has a friend that has a friend (you know how that goes) apparently this guy was doing his job which was keeping Swans and ducks and other birds off the Golf course, he was in a small boat in the water when out of nowhere a "Swan" attacked him & apparently hit him in his temple knocking him out which led him to drown in the water and died on the scene!

I though They were messing with me,I couldnt believe it so i Googled the story and sure enough it was even on the news in Chicago.Accident happend in the suburbs tough, the moral of this story is "Wtf" moment at its best,is it not? I dont mean to laugh but god damm if a swan can kill you I dont think your fit to live for gods sake!

How didnt he see the damm thing coming at him? 2nd What kind of power does this swan have and how did he know exactly where to hit the guy to knock him out?Trained by the goverment maybe lol? I guess the swan didnt appricate him in his water?Dont know but ill never look at them the same again lol.

2. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Yeah, I agree. Let's round all these swan sub-generates up in a field and extinguish their right to live.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I feel bad for his family, I guess he had 2 little kids.We are so weak when compared to other animals, So those storys we heard of men fighting Lions I find that hard to beleive after seeing an incident like this.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    A lot of people underestimate just how powerful animals can be, a Swan may be a bird but it's not a small one. Given the right circumstances a Swan could hurt someone, but it's very unlikely to cause bones to break, let alone kill someone. They're also defensive animals, they're not prone to attacking people.

5. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I'm still PMSL TBH.

"so i Googled the story and sure enough it was even on the news in Chicago."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17736292

^ The OP's original net story ?

Ever approached a swan in a non controlled environment, such as a local pond with no wild life rangers, local environment management ?
    I have.
    Can a swan kill a man ?

YES.

I sure wouldn't f*ck with an angry swan. Nor even an non angry swan at that.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've regularly been in close proximity to Swans outside of controlled environments, they're incredibly unlikely to harm anyone. The birds are very common in the UK and it's not unusual to find them in local parks or on local rivers. I've often stood within a foot or two of them and they've been perfectly calm. It would take someone attacking them to see any sort of aggression outside of extremely unlikely circumstances. Even then the level of harm is probably going to be very low. Would I mess with a Swan? Hell no, but lets not make them out to be monsters.

7. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I would most likely off myself without the use of my eyes. Let the birds be.

8. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Can you see where I see a discrepancy there ?

Anyhow, no one is attempting to make swans some sort of 'monster' if anything it's a healthy respect.

I have to say again though, there's a huge difference between river/pond fowl found in local (read as mostly managed) rivers and ponds and purely unmanaged rivers and ponds.

Far be it from me to call anyone's experience into disrepute.

The thing is, in my experience there's a huge difference between swan's on a local managed water park/river and non managed.

I've watched swans on a local lake/pond give warning signs and appear to be threatening, but they know they will get fed and it's a display within a few feet of approach.

Get within a few feet of a nest on a non managed pond and the swan showing its' wings is going to physically chase you as a real threat.

Don't f*ck with an angry swan...yes, it can kill a man. but only a halfwit would encroach upon the area that calls that swan to be so defensive in the first place.

9. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Oh, BTW I have to add that the gamekeeper was just as dangerous, firing his buckshot over anyone that got near, because he was employed to protect a little known natural habitat.
    As opposed the mostly humanised/man encroached habitats.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This is exactly the same story except I was told the guy was knocked-out and drown to death.You know how it goes with storys,someone always adds or changes things to there liking.But Iam childhood friends with the guys wife and the guy that died was his partner.

So it appears he couldnt swim with his clothes on and he drown? Still a very bizare situation.How the hell did the swan manage to tip his boat or cyak over?!.........A very unlikely situation but as you guys see It can happen lol.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Unless you have a totally different idea of the English language, I'm afraid not. I'm ticking on 30 years old and I've lived in the UK all my life. I've been around Swans for a large portion of that due to always having lived close to lakes and rivers. They're not aggressive animals, period. Or are you claiming they're somehow controlled in local parks and on rivers? If so you've lived a very sheltered life. Most rivers and parks are totally without control, nobody looks after them. I'm not talking about middle class settlements or nature reserves, I'm talking about down the street from most housing estate areas.

Swans can be dangerous, but they're neither aggressive or likely to kill someone even when aggressive.

I'll also leave this here: http://www.theswansanctuary.org.uk/faq.php

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Your experience? What? There's nobody watching over swans in regular parks. They're just there. They are wildlife no matter where you find them. Sure, ones in the butt-funk nowhere wild may be less accustomed to the presence of humans, but that doesn't magically make them into killers.

But really, I want to know where you went that you encountered Swans in a "non managed" area.

13. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

What!?

Who said they were 'dangerous', period ?

Methinks you have gone off on one without properly giving attention to what was said, giving your "been around Swans for a large portion of that due to always having lived close to lakes and rivers" nothing accounts for such a definitive experience as that, surely not.

Anywhoooooo, as I said, if you're silly enough to think swans are 'just there' and there's no managed areas they abide within and out-with, well good luck, your perception is venially enviable.

As it happens BTW there are quite a few areas in my locality that are outwith managed estate land that happen to have local fowl, some of them being swans.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're acting as though they are. But I'm going to pass on you now, you're backtracking and trying to fling insults after having been proven wrong. Have a good evening mate ;)

PS: Swans are mostly migratory, it's pretty much impossible to keep them in one area unless they don't want to be there. Unless you harm them, which is a criminal offense, being that they're essentially owned by the Queen while in the UK.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What the hell are you even saying? Are there swan managers who talk to them and tell them what to do? Is that a real thing now? Are they anything more than just birds that do whatever they want? Because if so, that's news to me.

I feel like you tried really hard to use big words and impressive language and failed completely. Nice try I guess.

16. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Wha ?

Okay, let's leave it at that as you want to look like you are the winner by 'DICTATING' that whatever the feck your POV is thee defacto by ...erm...saying something weak as "you're backtracking and trying to fling insults after having been proven wrong.", which is a matter of perception.

I don't recall throwing any insult, on the contrary I'm surprised at you calling such baseless blame, as you carry an obvious influence and regard around here.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You said his perception was poor. That's an insult. Your entire argument thus far has been picking at a perceived inconsistency by you when it comes to his "sampling" with the swan population. That somehow, birds will act completely different in a managed area versus a "non managed" one (which as per your example was a residential area, which is completely nonsensical by the way). You then claimed that a swan could kill a man, then claimed that nobody was saying they were dangerous. Which is it? Are you high? And what's your obsession with all this "fancy" language? It's just working against you; you aren't using it correctly at all.

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Maybe we've misunderstood each other at some point, but I'm not sure how. Regardless, I get irritated when I see nonsense posts. More so when the last bastions of my culture are damaged to the point where people feel the need to demonise Swans of all things.

19. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Well, I guess if you say so. You're the lexicon of what's clever and what's not.

Forgive me.
    It's easy to forget that established members of any community fall easily into the arrogant category of delusional self belief.

It's a forgiveable trait, it's only human to allow one's ego to get ahead of one's self.

20. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Maybe we have misunderstood each other (or rather you me as I didn't start the misunderstandings) but I've not once demonised swans (pmsl that now sounds so f*cking stoopid).

:)