Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Pill Monster, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Anyone doing this? A mate using CS6 on OS X wants to upgrade his Mac but can't afford to, how easy will the distro run on PC?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's pretty annoying, you need to pick out parts that are known to work with it, driver support is also terrible, audio and networking being the hardest to set up right. Updating the OS also becomes an issue. This is an example of compatible hardware, http://www.kakewalk.se/compatibility/. Notice how out of date and limited the hardware is, and don't expect much support for the hardware that is compatible. It's best left as a hobby project for fun, not so much as a 24/7 setup.

The best alternative would be to use a VM of OSX. It obviously comes with the downfall that all VM's suffer, it's much slower. But it's a breeze to set up and use. But if it's a decent PC it might be good enough to just use CS6 in the VM under Windows, but I think you are better off just using the Windows version...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah that's what I keep telling him (my bro-in-law) but he complains the CS6 UI is confusing in Windows.

I think he's just being stubborn.....

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

not to annoy or fueling any debate.

there are many people who need OSX,but not willing to sell a kidney for a Mac Pro.

There is a will,there is a way.

A friend of mine(main tech on Apple hardware repair)builded last month a behemoth of a computer,a Hackintosh .Costed less than 1500 eu.Wonder why.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    All I know about a hackintosh is that you need a Mac computer to do it. EX transferring the OS to the non Mac computer. There is all kinds of videos on YT that shows you how to do it.

6. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Seriously, why are Mac's so expensive? It can't be because the hardware is faster, and I know for sure that they have the smallest gaming market.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Mac's cost due to support. They're not technically fantastic for the price, but the level of support you get even at a consumer level is incredible, the same goes for higher use. Tech enthusiasts like you'll find on this forum wont care about such things, I'm not keen on Apple products. I don't need the support at a consumer level, let alone professional. But that is what it is, fantastic support at every level. Anyone that has had to deal with them for such reasons will be able to tell you first hand.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Apple wants you to believe that you are getting superior parts by paying more money. And yes their hardware is junk for the most part. The only Mac system that would be ok for gaming would be the imac. Also in their so called WS builds they use server parts like ECC memory and Xeon cpus.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You don't need to do it that way, but they do it because it helps make it more legal. Hackintosh is in a grey area of the law. Kind of how we treat emulation, you buy the game itself and feel better about downloading it later to emulate.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    True. You dont need it to do it that way. And yes a Hackintosh is a grey area of the law. I know at one time Hackintoshes were legal. I have seen a YT video of this one dude owning a 1980s Legal Hackintosh before Steve Jobs made them illegal.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    People like these are uneducated idiots, sorry to say.

Macs use the same hardware as any other PC. Their build quality is quite superior to the cheap plastic you find in other AIOs and laptops. The iMacs 780M and i7 4790 isnt magically junkier compared to a PC of same specs, so explain your reasons as yours makes zero sense.

Of course not everyone likes Unix which is understandable but to say the hardware itself is junk is simply put stupid.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm loathe to agree with the above but I'm unable to do any different. Agent is entirely correct, the hardware is the same. It's the O/S and support that make up the cost, some need the support more than others. When you need it on a business level it's a lot more important.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Maybe junk is the incorrect way of saying it. It is over priced parts that are the same parts that you would find in a Windows/Linux PC or server if you are looking at the Mac Pro for much cheaper. I mean look at RAID something that is very common in PCs now a days you have to pay Apple $700 bucks to add it to a Mac.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My bro uses Photoshop daily on a MacPro with C2Q 2400XT & 4GB RAM.

When I suggested upgrading the ram he said it would only take 6GB max. Ofc this sounded like BS so I researched and he was right, it'll take 6GB but not 8GB.

Apparently Apple use some proprietary design with 2 dimm slots and max 6GB memory. So he can't even upgrade it, only choice is buy a new system....

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    When you work with Apple on a business level you deal with them on the same. It's far from being piss poor, it's not what you would like to do. But it happens. Simple as that.

..Glad I don't need to do **** with them.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No macpro came with a 2400xt(or ac2q), only a 2600xt, which was an early 2008 3,1 model. That one takes up to 64GB of ram. 1st Gen 2006~ iirc, would take a maximum of 32GB. 6GB max is incorrect.

Ram is not proprietary design.. Im not sure where you researched that info, but whoever said that is a bozo. Ram is required to be ECC memory though.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#667-memory

or check crucial for memory.

Speaking from experience ofc, dealt with many MPs over the years in work.

Again, do you not understand the cost of materials is what sets the higher prices?

Secondly, comparing common PCs to a Mac pro regarding raid? :stewpid:
    Do you understand the different between software raid and hardware raid in a server environment? The latter is much more reliable.. And yes, Mac Pros support software raid which is free.

Quite obvious you are clueless about the subject, ill leave it at that.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    He never at any point claimed that.

For those of us that have used multiple hardware types, there are areas where X wont work. That's all he said, he never once claimed otherwise. Less likely with Apple products but the point stands.

18. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Then let him try to build his own hackintosh but avoid help him, sit back and enjoy watching him suffering. It's not easy man to build one from scrap, mostly because od hardware compatibility problems and driver related issues, Cyberdyne already mentioned that. For someone stubborn enthusiast (with a LOT of knowledge related to HW) with plenty of free time it can be "fun". But for those who have life, but they lack of HW/SW knowledge and have only few free hours per day for something like that this could be huge PITA, waste of time. Let it alone dude, if he wants it so badly let him do it by himself. I know he's your brother-in-low but if you start this hackintosh project with him, believe me, after few weeks/days you'll find yourself many times doing this: :bang:

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Said it right there, he researched and read that.. Unless im reading it incorrectly, nothing about the ram or dimm slots are proprietary.

20. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    He did say it but not specifically about RAM, which is an impossible in regard to Apple or any other company. Or am I reading it wrong?