Buzzing from GPU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MonkSR, Aug 26, 2014.

1. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    I just recently built my system and my computer runs great, however I am having a buzzing noise coming from inside the case and narrowed it down to being my 660. I did this by removing it and putting my old 260 in and with the 260 in the noise went away. The buzzing happens whenever I am using anything that uses the GPU. I am going to post a video of the noise to youtube(hopefully tonight) and would like y'all's opinion on what you think the issue could be. I talked to EVGA and they said I could RMA it but they told me it could be the power supply causing the GPU to make the noise. I am extremely new to system building and any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ps. I originally posted the issue to the CPU section of the forums because I thought that was where the noise was coming from.

Another note: I do believe I tested the GPU fans in precision X at 90% without having the GPU with any load on it and there wasn't a noise. I will verify this tonight also when I get home.
    Also the noise is significantly loud, with my case fans and the case closed, I can still easily hear it across the room.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It can be vibrations

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    could be coil whine

4. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
    Sounds like coil whine to me, if that is the case then there is nothing to worry about.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Coil Whine. Nothing to worry about and nothing you can do about it.

6. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    writing to be able to link to the youtube video

7. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    tested the fans with Prec X at 80% and no noise

8. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    writing to be able to post link from youtube

9. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    last post before Youtube link.

10. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I use to get that with my Radeon 6970 while playing certin games only,I think its called coil-wine but I could be wrong. Or was it with my 6870,**** I cant remember now lol.Iam getting old thats all it is after a while everything starts to sound the same hehe.But no sound could be as piercing as my wifes in the backround,ill take the coil-wine anyday of the week.

12. stat1cx

stat1cx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Coil whine is a pain in the ass, and you never know when you might get some.
    My seasonic psu doesn't make any coil whine noises although so many people have had such problems.
    Also, some years ago I bought two gigabyte 5770 passive cards at the same time, one had coil whine when under 3d loads (which rests in my htpc now with no such nuissance), the other was always annoying me (anybody want a 5770? :D)

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Maybe try playing with Vsync? And also make sure your driver is not set to Max Performance but Adjustable (?). Anything that will limit your GFX should help. My card buzzes too but only at 250fps or more and since I've always used Vsync (now G-sync) this has never been a problem for me.

15. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    I pretty much always play with vsync, my FPS never really goes above 60. Considering my GF can hear it sitting on the couch in the same room, it is pretty loud lol. I got approval for a RMA do you guys think it's the PSU causing the GPU to make that noise?.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you hear buzzing all the time even at high GPU usage then something is wrong with your card. I'd RMA it since constant Coilwhine is not acceptable.

17. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    I am going to RMA it. I just hope it's not the PSU.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    For years and mulitple cards after the 9800gt I had buzzing aka coil whining any time the gpu was under load, I just recently RMA my TP-750 blue again (first one was cuasing the gpu to buzz under any load 2nd one had much lower buzzing noise)

this 3rd RMA they sent me a HCG-750M and now i have zero buzzing under anyload coming from my gpu.

And yes the buzzing was coming from the GPU in all cases and not the PSU. Possibility PSU is the cause as I tried 6 cards in this time and they all buzzed under load. ,but the buzzing/coil whine is completely gone with this HCG-750m

19. MonkSR

MonkSR Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 660
    Thanks for all the responses !

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Good luck with that RMA if you do. Keep us updated on how that turns.