The Trio Leaving Mythbusters

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Daftshadow, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    I've always liked this show but it's kinda sad to see Discovery Channel is axing Grant, Kari, and Tory for next season. I wonder if it's due to lower ratings and the increase cost of producing each episode as they only said the reason is for moving into a new direction.

But I wouldn't be surprised if these three end up getting their own show on Discovery Channel.

2. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    I think its a good move I always preferred the mythbustig by Adam and Jamie.
    But I in free TV we are still 2 or 3 Seasons behind US.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Something along the lines of getting rid of the skits and going back towards a more informative science based show

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I never really cared for the 3 of them anyway. Every episode I watched with them in it just made me wonder how the show managed to stay on the air.

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    its been a long time since I last saw that show, I think it can get a bit boring with just 2 old guys on screen all the time though...

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I enjoyed it before they arrived, but more so after they did, bit of young blood and comedy for that show made it what it is, their myths are daft and needed young daft people to bust them

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I wasn't keen on the three of them, although out of the three Grant was alright. I think he'd have been better off by himself to be honest.

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    After the first few years you start getting burned out as a viewer, let alone them still filming it. That goes for any show. By the time the trio showed up I think there was already burn out. Could never buy into the whole "science/geek marketed as hip" sort of thing, and those 3 were prime examples. Jamie and Adam got a pass because they had a past and passion for special effects and building contraptions. They came off more authentic.

The Discovery channels as a whole started getting into the "On for background noise" level around 2006. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Discovery_Channel

I stopped watching TV as a whole around 08. Internet really killed TV.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I agree. TV is an ancient relic. That's why it's so infuriating that cable companies here are trying to get control of the internet. They want that exact same awful setup.

12. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    They need to just change their services to be on demand. Nobody watches 90% of the channels and shows they pay for. And I can't even remember the last time I tuned in to catch something at a certain time ("Sunday at 9!").

Don't even get me started on what they're trying to make the internet. I don't think it's too far fetched at all that one day there's going to be the commercial, pay for site type of internet, with ads that make the current privacy violations look timid. Then you're going to have the sub internet of i2p and .onion being the only sane alternative. The 90% that only browse the top 100-1000 sites won't notice or care, they'll be passive pushovers.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Cable companies are at the mercy of content providers. With the internet, content providers are just as much at the mercy of ISPs. It's an opportunity for the cable companies to "flip roles" with the content providers. In either case, the customer gets screwed though. Content providers have caused cable bills to rise over the years. Now ISPs get to force prices of subscription services to go up.

The FCC is run by media companies and protecting the best interest of the consumer (which is part of their job, btw) is not their concern in the least. There's talk of dropping cable card now and allowing the cable companies to use cable boxes with integrated decoders, which will kill off the already small cable box market. It will also further screw over cable subscribers as we'll be forced to rent cable boxes from the cable companies instead of being able to buy a TiVo or Samsung cable box.

Oh well, enough of that rant.

Jamie and Adam always appear to understand the problem (myth) and how to approach it in a practical way. The "trio" always seemed to fumble around, imho, and stumble into a practical approach. They never seemed to really, truly understand the myth they were attempting to disprove (again, just my opinion).

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I find Kari's name extremely distracting... I mean, would you name your daughter John? There's no way in hell you could name your daughter Kari here in Finland.

But anyway, I kinda liked the guys but it's not a massive loss.

15. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I kind of figure it's a move that'll kill the last real show on Discovery. They starting going downhill as soon as they started adding garbage like swamp loggers and killing off stuff like cash cab. Ben Bailey (the host for cash cab) is stuck here in Detroit Michigan doing commercials for the electric company. Way to go discovery. Way to go.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    My cable company (Buckeye Cablesystem) has already started doing that. It's supposed to "protect against cable theft". Yeah right.

18. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    EXACTLY!!!!!!

half the show is just repetitive rubbish. they can get the same amount of info done in a 30 minute show.

ANd they should have fired the commentator. i hope they blow him up

19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Dang, you guys have some serious hate for the trio. I honestly enjoyed it just because Jamie can be really boring to watch/listen to.

20. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    We have had integrated decoders here since the beginning.There is only one brand that you can buy /rent that includes PVR.While it hasn't meant the end of the world it sure has kept the price high.Mythbusters I haven't watched since the original 2 guys.