What is the most reliable driver to use atm?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by angmar, Aug 22, 2014.

1. angmar

angmar Guest

What is the most stable driver at the moment as I am having hella isues with this piece of **** gpu. Clock speeds ramping up to full speed at idle and getting stuck there...glitches with multi monitor desktop settings causing wrong monitor to be primary no matter what I do and when it's not even set as my primary monitor in settings. Weird glitches in divinity original sin cut scenes with audio sounding fine but video running choppy as ****. Occasionally when opening GPU-Z system freezes...no errors no blue screens just freezes. **** I could go on and on and on. I will most certainly not be buying another AMD GPU anytime soon thats for damn sure and if I had the money right now I would rip this thing out in a heartbeat.

edit: Forgot to mention I am using Catalyst 14.7 RC3 I believe and it has made an already annoying experience into an absolute NIGHTMARE

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im back on the 13.12 WHQLs, no problems at all with them. :)

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I would blame gpu-z then driver.

@Rich_guy why such old driver? Doesnt it miss speedups?

4. angmar

angmar Guest

GPU-Z then driver? What about the million other issues I am having that have absolutely NOTHING to do with GPU-Z.

5. angmar

angmar Guest

I will look for these thanks.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    well 1 down, many to go :p

Idk about multi monitor, never used it and probably never will, sorry.

7. angmar

angmar Guest

Alright so I downloaded display driver uninstaller and removed all the old NVIDIA drivers from my computer and also removed all AMD drivers....I ended up installing 14.4 instead of 13.2 but it still is doing the same weird **** with gpu-z....and I tried opening divinity original sin and videos in it are still choppy and stuttery....I don't understand what the hell the problem is here but it's incredibly frustrating.

Also on the box as well as sapphires website it states that the card has UEFI bios....but how do you actually access it I can't find any information on it via google or youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    re-install OS onto a zeroed drive.

9. rand923023

rand923023 Guest

GPU:
    R9 280 / 3GB
    On my 7850s and R9 280, the best I have found are...

Mining: 13.12
    Gaming: 14.4

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    As im playig Metro LL at the minute, and the later drivers don't like it, with every later driver, it gets a quick hitch every few seconds for some reason.

UEFI BIOS is the default, so its already on that, if you flick the little black switch on the card, it will switch to the old Legacy BIOS.

The switch is located where the crossfire connectors used to be on previous cards :)

[​IMG]

Can just see it next to the screw.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That hitching is usually due to gpu memory OC, at least on nvidia site - 90% of the time.

When in you're in a mood to test try stock 290x memory freq. :)

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    That was on stock memory settings, i only upped it to 1300 about a week ago :p

That was the only problem i had with the drivers after the 13.12s, so once i get LL finished, ill move to the latest.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah I see ;D

btw how old are these 13.12? December 2013?

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Never had a single issue with any AMD drivers so far with my 7970. Apart from some making the GPU run a little hotter but that's about it.

All I do each time is

1) RESET BACK TO DEFAULT CLOCKS SPEEDS FIRST!!! I use Afterburner so reset everything making sure you save your OC profile first. Disable it from booting on startup, also disable Radeonpro or any other GPU software at startup

2) Run lastest version of DDU at the time in safe mode, telling it to delete ALL AMD drivers inc Audio if installed and also AMD C: drive folder too.

3) Reboot into normal mode, install latest drivers beta or whql which ever is latest. Reboot when asked.

4) Once rebooted, open CCC setup your settings such as video colour, scaling options, game IQ etc, etc.

5) DISABLE CCC.exe, MOM.exe, AMD External Events Utility Service, also stop them from running in the background as you don't need them running.

6) Reopen Afterburner and reactivate your OC profile, and fan profile. Also reselect it to run at startup again. Same with any other GPU software you use RadeonPro, etc.

7) OPTIONAL, its a good idea to run ccleaner, registry and normal cleaner a few times, also clean temp folder, and also reinstall latest DX runtime.

Done.

Works everytime no fail.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep :)

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Mesa 10.2.6 + LLVM 3.5 + Kernel 3.16.1. Could try Wayland out but that's getting a bit on the edge. Xorg is (pretty) stable. Mir is something to try too, but is also leaning on the edge.

That should be useful, if you plan on using Linux anyway :p Can't say too much on Windows.

17. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    I'd bet the nvidia stuff is still contributing to the problems you're having. The only way to be sure is to reinstall your os, nice and fresh. Personally, I would never move between cpu/mobo/gpu brands without a full reinstall. If it still gives you problems, you might have some faulty hardware that only an RMA can address.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    the latest RC3 driver works fine with me @ very high resolutions

19. iamgamefreak

iamgamefreak Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    I had the exact same problem as the OP described and it turned out it wasn't the GPU or the driver. Somehow, some bitcoin mining virus had found its way to my PC and it would make all my games stutter, not to mention absurdly high GPU usage even at idle. I suggest you do a virus scan with malwarebytes or something similar. Hope that helps.

20. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Oddly specific but could work.