At my wits end with AMD GPUS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by angmar, Aug 22, 2014.

1. angmar

angmar Guest

Seriously ever since I have switched from having NVIDIA GPUs...the last one prior being my GTX 680 to this 290X I have had so many different issues. My NVIDIA cards have been working nearly FLAWLESS over the past couple years...like seriously compared to the AMD cards I have owned I rarely if ever had problems on my GTX 680 before I got this 290x .Now the most recent issue I am having is I went to open up GPU-Z and for some reason my PC froze up....no blue screen...just stuck with an annoying sound looping. So I hard reboot and now my start button and icons are on my secondary monitor instead of my main monitor and I cannot for the life of me get it to switch FFS!!!! I am so sick if this AMD ****. Seriously no matter what I do I can't get my icons and system tray on the primary monior...I tried unchecking it and reapplying it as the main monitor both screens go black for a split second while it switches and it just looks exactly the same. If I disable the other monitor everything goes back where it belong but as soon as I re-enable the second monitor alll the **** goes back over to it even though it is not even set as my primary monitor....I mean come on what the ****. How does AMD still have drivers that are such UTTER ****! I am so frustrated as over the last few months since I got this card these are not the only problems I have run into. I am running Windows 7 if that helps. If anyone has any ideas please help me out cause I have just about had it with this crap. :bang:

edit: Also my secondary monitor is hooked up to HD4000 not the 290x and the biggest problem this is causing is that when I want to play a game it's showing up on the wrong monitor and using the HD4000 instead of the 290x

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. angmar

angmar Guest

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    If it's still doing the main/secondary display thing, just swap the plugs on back of your GPU. On every dual-dvi card I've used from AMD, the port that stands alone is pure digital, while the port right along the pcb is digital + analog. (DVI-I vs DVI-D, or something like that) AMD seems to favor the digital/analog port as being monitor 1. I've always put my best display on the pure digital port & it always ends up being labeled as display 2. But aside from that, never had issues with it randomly swapping them around.
    Hope that helps a bit.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Check your in-game video settings. Most of the games I've played in recent years have an option to select which monitor to use somewhere in the settings.

6. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Have you tried disabling the integrated graphics and going with both monitors on the 290x?

7. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    @Sasquatch: The R9 290(X) GPUs no longer have analog output, both DVI ports are DVI-D.

@angmar: Have you tried to use the Windows Control Panel "Screen Resolution" section to set the primary monitor to the AMD card instead of the Intel HD4600? Also worth a shot is to try to set the primary card as PEG in the MoBo UEFI.