Low FPS with MSI R9 280x...PLEASE SAVE ME

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Snucks, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Snucks

Snucks Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x 3GB
    Hello guys so i am getting purdy frustrated now, I have a MSI R9 280x GPU and i am only getting between 50-90fps in CS:GO.... which is low compared to what i should be getting. I see other people with similar setups to mine or even lower end setups then mine hitting 200+.... this is a new comp and im getting pretty frustrated with these results... im also only getting between 25-30fps in cities in DayZ, while i read another guy with my setup gets 50-60 easy...
    My GPU usage while in Counter Strike is at 99% constant(Which i know is good), my CPU (which is the i5 4690k) on the other hand usage is a constantly up and down roller coaster of 15-35% it just constantly goes up and down with an occasional 55 spike and i seen one 70 spike on my last test playing game and using MSI Afterburner to check. My GPU driver is the Catalyst 14.4 and i downloaded all my mobo drivers from the bios live update utility in F-Stream Tuning.... Gpu Temps stay between 65-69c in game and cpu temps stay at 45c... Should i RMA my gpu?

My setup is:
    Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer
    PSU: Corsair cx600m 600w
    GPU: MSI R9 280x
    CPU: i5 4690k at stock 3.5ghz
    Ram: Team Vulcan 2x4gb 2133mhz
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
    120GB SSD and 1TB HDD

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME =( its breaking my heart, feller.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure, and surely no pro with amd drivers and cards, but as your cpu does funny things, you might want to check if cpu core parking is enabled. With some windows update it was enabled on my system and I saw weird performance losses although the gpu was properly under load. Might be worth a check, there's not much to do, just google something like "disable cpu core parking" and you will see lots of walkthroughs, probably even a tool that does it.

3. Snucks

Snucks Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x 3GB
    So you do think my cpu is doing funny things? Plus what exactly is cpu parking

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure if it really is your cpu, but you described that your gpu load is constant and high (good), but your cpu is a bit jumpy with the loads. That doesn't say it's the reason, but I was just surprised how suddenly cpu core parking, basically a energy saving function, activated itself (presumably) through some windows update.
    AS far as I understood it "parks", as in idles cpu cores. For me, it did it even while playing BF4, making my fps decrease all of a sudden, with the exact same hardware, temps, and drivers. Took me some hours to find out it was something that :rolleyes:
    Disabling it did the trick. You might use more power though. It's easy to disable, and enable again if it isn't the problem, so I thought you might want to consider giving it a try.

5. Snucks

Snucks Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x 3GB
    didn't really help all to much =(

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    do you use gpu /cpu monitoring software like afterburner?

7. Snucks

Snucks Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x 3GB
    Yes I do that's how I am monitoring

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  9. Snucks

Snucks Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x 3GB
    When i reference 200+fps on other peoples specs they are all stock so i shouldnt be getting such low fps. Plus id like to OC
    well im no pro at overclocking i did try last night with 4.5ghz at 1.290v and could not get stable... but i am no pro like said(never done it prior) all i did was in UEFI was change multiplier to 45 per core and override voltage to 1.250 than 1.260 than 1.280 than 1.290 and all was unstable during stresstest with 0.001+ and turned off c state power saver stuff... so i may have done something wrong like i said im new to this... if ya wanna help thatll be awesome

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    ok but I done night shift, I gotta sleep now, install 3d mark 2013 firestrike and run extreme (or default), then we'll look at your cpu physics score and your gpu graphics test scores.
    you're best buying a copy if you haven't as the free one sucks. though it's still useable.
    and install cinebench too.
    there's no hurry many gurus here but those software will gauge your rig.
    and cinebench will test your cpu oc.

benchy section (3dmark2013 is stickied.

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

we can look at 3dmark2013 'skydiver' too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm sorry to hear it didn't help. But as SLI said, if you get irregular bench performance, then I guess it's the gpu.
    Also, how's it going with gpu and cpu temperatures? Thermal throttling kicking in somewhere?

12. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yes get some benchmark tools so we can compare your scores with our own. Unigine heaven, valley and 3d mark. Post your results.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What are you settings like in the Catalyst Control Centre? Having Supersampling antialiasing turned on will affect frame rate, as will overriding the antialiasing with 8xEQ etc.