Bottlenecking issues with GTX770 using AMD Phenom 1075t

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by F9zSlavik, Aug 22, 2014.

1. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    So I bought what I thought was an awesome deal on a Asus GTX770 SC, 260 bucks xD
    So I then bought a broken GTX670 (EVGA brand) for 30 bucks and sent it off for RMA (love the 3 year warranty). Within 4 days I received, to my OMGOSH surprise, a GTX770 SC, which mind you, looks 10 tends more sterider than the Asus version. EVGA is even cooling the memory while the asus is not anyways enough bragging. I thought about selling one but I figure maybe I try and sli them together.

So I ran the latest benchmark from 3d mark. I went with Fire Strike on Extreme settings. With a single GTX770, I got

Score: 3420
    GPU Score 3614
    PSHX Score: 7974

When I went ahead and slapped in the other GTX770 for a SLI set up, this is the score I got.

Score: 1767
    GPU Score: 1729
    PSHX Score: 7352

I lost almost half the performance score of a single GTX770 using 2 in SLI mode. So I'm thinking maybe the GPU's are severely bottle necking with the CPU. Also when I played BF4, I used that CPU/GPU graph, it did show a bottle neck. FPS fluctuated a lot. Lowest I got were 35 FPS, highest was 90ish but it kept going up and down never really stable at any FPS. Here my current set up looks like

Phenom 1075t @ 3.8ghz @ 250FSB
    1666 DDR3
    2250mhz HT
    1tb Samsung Evo
    2xGTX770 SLI
    Crucial TX850 Power Supply

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, that CPU is horribly bottlenecking those two cards.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Does your motherboard support SLI?

4. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Forgot to post what kind of motherboard I have lol. I have a 990FX Sabertooth from Asus. And yes it does support SLi. I went ahead and underclocked the memory so that I could over clock the CPU some more. I am at 4.1ghz, I doubt it will be enough for the SLi set up.
    We'll see...

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You're already bottlenecked with that CPU running a single 770. But damn though, that is a serious drop in performance. Sell the other 770 for a massive profit, put it towards a new mobo/cpu.

6. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Really think I should sell one in exchange for a Mobo and CPU?
    Judging from your comment, I take it you believe that a modern 8 core AMD will not work for my set up will it?

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Regardless of your CPU on that board, it is not going to cause negative SLI scaling. You have some other issue going on.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's my understanding that the use of "/" means interchangeable, and or. Personally I would move to blue, but obviously it seems you wouldn't.

If so, then yes. Yes I would sell that GPU and get a better AMD cpu.

9. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    I already have a P8P67, all I need is a CPU. But its a first gen motherboard and from what I read the chipset tends to degrade so... Don't know... but I could just sell a card and use that money towards a CPU. I would also need to buy a new bracket for my Megahelem heat sink.
    I don't have a whole lot of money to play with. So you guys think its worth just keeping one gtx770 and using that money for a Intel CPU? If so, how much can I sell my 770 for? 300 bucks? and what CPU can I get for that money?

10. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115230

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If its a regular p8p67 I don't think its sli capable.

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If he is selling the other card he wont need SLI.

13. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    So you scammed a company by buying a well known broken card to get a new one.
    Some people are really pathetic !

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It's a 'cool story bro' thing. I wonder why the person who sold it, didn't use the warranty.

15. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Love it how people make comments on subjects they know nothing about. The fact that you actually took the time to write something as "insightful" as that? I think we know who the pathetic person is. Oh and I assume your going to want to make a comment on the free motherboard I got which happened to be that p8p67. So go ahead and show us again how you like to make comments on subjects you know nothing about. Or better yet, why don't you comment on how I also ripped off a guy who sold his 770 for 260$ taking a 140 dollars lost that he only had for 5 days. Or better yet why don't you make a comment on how I got my Sabertooth 990fx? I bought a video card from him and he said his computer was in his house which caught on fire. His computer was scorched in smoke. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He was going to trash it along with a CPU, PSU, a decent case... So I asked if I could have it. That was 2 years ago and the MB works fine. Anyways, have agood day Mr. Commenter.

As for why he didn't use the warranty, beats me, he just wanted to get rid of it. Was either 30 bucks or he was going to trash it. Some people are like that. Been working with computers for years now and you'll be surprise at the stuff people tend to give or abandoned.

I once did some computer work for someone. He had no cash but he desperately needed his data recovered. So He had asked me, I will give you my broken laptop for your service. At first I said no, the hinges were broken, screen was going out, keyboard didn't all work, bad shape that HP was. Finally I said OK, he was desperate. 3 months later, as I was getting ready to sell the laptop for parts, I notice under the laptop a little white sticker that said "3 year warranty". It was one of HP's Pro laptop. I called, and to my luck, it had 1 more month of warranty.

To be honest I am a little fearful of the P8P67 Pro, I have not fired it up yet and it has soooooo many negatives reviews on its high failure rate.

To ---TK---, it's actually a pro, actually I'm trying to think of a way to keep the card and just buy a CPU. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a i5-3570k? It's slightly more cheaper

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    That mb would have to have a later bios that supports ib cpu. You wouldn't know what the bios revision is?

17. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Thought I'd share this, with a single card, I would score roughly 3600, in SLi mode, about 1700. However using Unigine, when in slide mode I do score twice as much compare to using a single card. Is 3d mark just not very good with multiple cards?

Crap, I don't know if it has been updated. You telling me I can't use a IB unless it has the latest bios?

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Are you using the latest version of 3DMark?

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Ib support was given long ago. But tbh I don't know if the bios you have now supports ib cpus. If you don't have a compatible bios the pc won't boot up. You would have to throw in a sb cpu to update the bios if need be.

20. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Actually no, I am in the process of installing the latest one. Will be testing it in a few minutes.

What do you mean support was giving up?
    Tbh I am willing to best it has the original bios. It is after all the first revision of the board. I know 3.X already have the latest. I'll go on asus website and see to make sure.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just go with the 2500k, I mean I doubt the performance difference will be all that different.