cpu temp problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ramthegamer, Aug 21, 2014.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    core2quad q9550 2.83ghz
    temps under load in bf4:
    cpu temp:63c
    core0: 77
    core1:67:
    core2:67
    core3:68
    idle: cpu: 30c
    core0:47
    core1:41
    core2:46
    core3:45
    are these temps ok? i have applied new thermal paste in an horizontal line, cpu fan with heatsink.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    when heavy stressed my core 1 peaks around 2 -4c hotter than rest, maybe that's how your cpu performs, raising core 0 around 9c than the rest.
    9 seems a lil high though.

3. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    They are fine, I say under 80 is fine for core 2 quads.

What CPU cooler are you using?

Have you got good case ventilation?

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    u mean it's ok for quad to have these temps? i'm using the aftermarket cooler, it's the one bigger than the stock one, i used it before on my core2duo with problem, but the thing is, when i enter the game it quickly goes from 31 to 56 and then rises little by little 1 degrees to 61c, my case has fans all over it, in front in the back, on the side, i'm monitoring using speedfan 4.49

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    First it rises because of load, then residual heat I guess. But don't worry about those temps too much, they seem to be plausible.
    Yet again, too many fans not always help case ventilation, especially if the air gets turbolant inside the case because it's pushed and pulled into too many directions. I, personally, I am not too much of a fan of side fans, for instance, rather keep it "two dimensional" with front, back, top and bottom fans, but that's just me. I've also read reviews of certain cases, where having less fans actually improved cooling because of improved directional airflow, along with sometimes improving noise.

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    some pastes take a few days to settle in too, main thing is an even spread, I spread it over 66% of cpu, a wide line down middle. using a spreader.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i applied it in a horizontal wide line down the middle, and then installed the cpu fan with heatsink.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I started spreading it a while back with the spreaders you get with some pastes though credit cards and similar cards work, just cut em up a bit.
    you're guaranteed a more even spread imo, I dunno at least with air cooling it seems that way and the kinda pastes I use.(when trying to squeeze best from cooler)
    I actually modded my cooler to sit tighter.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    actually what i noticed is that when it was 7 pm the temps under load were 63c, but later in the evening under load playing cs go, the temps went down to 56c, it's a hot summer in leb, temps are hitting 30-32 c with high humidity.is it because thermal paste needs time to settle in?

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    indeed, I applied mine in summer (now in autumn they dropped around 8 - 10C average)
    anyways I applied it then luckily enough four days later the weather cooled down a good bit one morning then it set right in and temps lowered a bit but the cores also evened out and temps stabled out, pretty much. (basically the paste spread and set)
    if you're in high summer and not hitting 80C on hottest core under heavy load then that sounds fine.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I agree, I tend to stay below 75°C with my gaming rig cpu in summer, and always looking forward to winter when room temperature falls, seldomly reaching over 70 then.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The old saying "less is more" is generally true when installing case fans.

Side fans, more often than not, disturb proper airflow patterns. The airflow path should be "bottom to top" and "front to back". A side fan doesn't direct air in any particular direction, but instead causes the flow path to break up.

13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    @ ramthegamer Can i give you a tip?
    That cpu is hot tdp 95W.so get out the side of the case where the cpu part is and let that side open for the hot air can get out without constrained by case or some fans. ;)
    or if that side of case could not be opened(cpu side) get the other side to let hot air get out.
    If you dont have cooler system in the house this is the best choice for hotter cpus. :)

And do let cpu not be hotter when you play games try to get a stand alone soundcard(maybe a creative or asus,the cheap one).because when you play games the cpu need to make more operations when you have onboard sound enabled. ;)

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    yeah well i'm using the on board sound card, u recommend a seperate standalone sound card?

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yep,for your old and hotter cpu its recomended to do that.to let soundcard make operations instead old cpu.
    and do not forget the side case open if you can.its summer and very hot there.

anddd if you play dx9 games always the cpu make more operations.when you play dx11 the video card its more requested than cpu.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i'm playing bf4x64.exe, i suspect the soundcard would intervene with airflow of the vga card, coz the sound card slot is directly under the pci express slot.