AMD 8600M Series clock stuck at 400MHz

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by GalihRQ, Aug 18, 2014.

1. GalihRQ

GalihRQ Guest

GPU:
    6520G + 6650M
    I have an Asus X550DP laptop with this setup
    AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHz APU
    AMD Radeon HD 8650G integrated GPU
    AMD Radeon 8600M series dedicated GPU
    Windows 7 SP 1

As the title suggest, the 8600M core clock stuck to 400MHz when gaming even though it should've been able to reach 975MHz. The result is low FPS and lag in games.

Anyone knows what might be the cause here ? I've been using different catalyst drivers and the problem still persists.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. GalihRQ

GalihRQ Guest

GPU:
    6520G + 6650M
    Anyone ? Please ?

As an added note after I restart the laptop and try to launch a game, it utilize the 8600m's max power and run at 975/800 MHz clock rate. But this only happens for a few second (less than a minute in fact) before going back down to 400/600 MHz clock rate.

Is it possible that the GPUs are damaged ? If so I may be able to replace it at the store since I should still have the one week warranty from the shop.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. GalihRQ

GalihRQ Guest

GPU:
    6520G + 6650M
    Yeah I did those already.
    The thing is, games already uses the dGPU, I've checked it using GPU-Z and it shows that the dGPU is active and working.

The problem is that the dGPU doesn't seem to want to use it's full power. After less than a minute of gaming the clock goes down to 400/600 and not changing again. Although if I alt-tabbed out of the game and went back in, the clock rises back to 975/800 but only for a few seconds before plummeting back.

I've tried different drivers from the Official ones to the modded ones and still no luck, I have the exact same problem no matter what driver I used.

6. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Use GPU-Z and monitor the temperatures while you are idle as well as leaving it running when you open the game. Then post it. I believe your system could be throttling or hitting some sort of TDP cap. Are you on Balanced or High Performance power profiles? Are you plugged in (some BIOS enforces low performance mode when on battery). Do you have an ASUS control panel that can change the performance mode of the system separately from power profiles (such as cooling/fan preference)?

My Intel i7-4500U for example, is usually capped at 15W TDP and will downclock the iGPU to 200mhz regardless of application if it hits that. When plugged in, it goes up to 25W as long as temperatures remain <85C. This however requires me to set the power profile to at least Balanced and a Sony control panel setting to High Performance for fan operations.

7. GalihRQ

GalihRQ Guest

GPU:
    6520G + 6650M
    I'm using the "high performance" power profiles (otherwise the dGPU won't be used). The only ASUS software that can control stuff are probably the Power4Gear Hybrid.

Can't really upload images right now due to net, so I'm gonna just list it.
    When Idling
    Radeon HD 8650G (Integrated one with the Apu)
    - Core clock : Fluctuates between 350-650 Mhz
    - Memory clock : Constant 800 MHz
    - Temperature : 95 degree celcius
    - GPU Load : Fluctuates
    - Memory Usage (Dedicated) : 0 Mb
    - Memory Usage (Dynamic) : 80 Mb
    - VDDC : Between 1.049V - 1.124 V

Radeon HD 8600M Series (Dedicated) ULPS active
    - Core clock : 0 Mhz
    - Memory clock : 0 Mhz
    - Temperature : 0 degree celcius
    - Fan speed (%) : 100%
    - Fan speed (RPM) : 0 RPM
    - GPU Load : 0%
    - VCDC :0 V

When Gaming

Radeon HD 8600M Series
    - Core Clock : 400Mhz
    - Memory Clock : 600Mhz
    - Temperature : Between 59 - 62 degree celcius
    - Fan Speed (%) : 0 %
    - Fan Speed (RPM) : 0 RPM
    - Gpu Load : Fluctuates but mostly around 62%
    - VDDC : Between 0.800V - 0.900V

Now that I noticed, the fan seems odd. Just tried Speedfan and it doesn't list any available fan on this laptop.

8. NeZoX

NeZoX Guest

GPU:
    AMD 8670m+8650g
    Hi, 3 weeks ago i bought this laptop and have some problem too. Its so bad that decision was not found. But im hope that decision will recover when i add some details.
    Well, all 3 weeks im monitorning all in this laptop and find a possible reason for downclock of GPU - its a throttling, but it enabled in small temp for graphics card - 73 C. I thought it will influenced by other details, but all temperatures (cores and etc) were normal.
    So there is a question - its possible to increase the temperature threshold of graphics card? Or this problem can solved easier?
    P.S. the fan is seems odd because he can not be operated manually and so many monitorning programs cant see it

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015