Intel Core i7 Haswell-E and X99 Motherboards Launch Date Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    That's a bit **** i was hoping for 8 core mid range, if they don't bring out one i'll buy a fkn WiiPoo console, use it as a door stop and tell Intel to stick their 6 cores up ya cloaca.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'd best get saving...

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    .. Lolwut?

Im still undecided on upgrading until we see somr actual numbers.. My 2600 may still be good for a while longer.. If I can prevent myself from hitting the *proceed to checkout* button

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

5. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)

Don't buy it yet, till SkyLake(unlocked) is release.
    Unless your PC is your "Bread and Butter"

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Skylake is be locked initially, and there is a possibility that there will be no unlocked versions of the mainstream performance Skylake processors. Due to lack of competition it's quite probable they will keep the unlocked processors for the Socket-2011 (successor) Skylake processors.

That is, unless the rumoured AMD post-Excavator CPU is as good as the very loose, unsubstantiated rumours suggest it could be.

7. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    so pumped to finally get to rebuild a new pc. Finally get all the new features. Goodbye x58 hello x99. It's the best way to upgrade skip a chipset then hop on the next 1. It ensures you get a large boost. For people on x79 I would say wait for x99's successor which will be skylake.

8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There is no need to upgrade even to that if your a gamer, all you need is a good gpu and cpu which eliminates no bottleneck. I see no difference in games at my oc compared to my old x58 and i never see extra cores being utilized for gaming. 2 cores are always maxxed out, pushing 3 now and again but never 4 cores, nvm 6 cores, complete Overkill atm.

9. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    for gaming alone true no need to upgrade. I encode a lot of video. Help my buddy with his youtube channel. more cores is good.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah encoding and rendering its faster but not by a massive amount, maybe just a few minutes i found. Still i wont need to upgrade for a while, so im kinda future proof for gaming for a good bit. I just hope extra cores start getting used on the PC.

11. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I think we may have a good chance at 8 cores being utilized for gaming considering the consoles have 8 x86 cores games should start to get much better at using 4-8 cores. I just hope the i7-5960x 8 core overclocks really well. That 3.0ghz base clock kinda sucks for single thread. Is hoping for 4.5ghz 50% overclock a little too optimistic? Probably going to cool it with that new thermaltake water 3.0 360mm rad closed loop cooler with 6 noctua fans in push/pull

And I think the i7-5960x should do better than just 3 minutes faster rendering and encoding videos than the i7-980x thats gulftown skipping over sandy and ivy to haswell. So 3 generations and 2 more cores has to be more than just a few mins.

If anything the power and heat generation should be much better.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Or if you are into Virtual PCs more cores is good as well as more RAM.

13. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    fender ahhh don't upgrade to haswell now!!! you've waited this long you might as well wait for broadwell (if you aren't into the enthusiast chipsets and prefer to go z97 mainstream)

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Too late man I all ready bought the parts and they will be delivered tomorrow.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The thing is if games do not start taking advantage of the extra cores then a Highly clocked Devils Canyon will blow an 8 core away for gaming. The 8 core will not clock so high and the cores are not utilized in games so the cpu with the higher Bandwidth will win on performance in games in theory.

[​IMG]
    See that? that's a 5960x. It's also a 5960x with the lid removed, and one can clearly see that it has 12 cores, 4 of which have been disabled.

So basically, mate, it's a rebadged Xeon and Xeon's are not as good for gaming as other cpu's. If your a gamer id tread carefully before you buy:)

16. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I'm mainly getting it for the video encoding. The games i play don't need an upgrade from i7-980x and 5870 even. I play starcraft 2, diablo 3, path of exile, hearthstone, league of legends, world of warcraft, civilization V. Well some games could use more power only because i have a 2560x1600 resolution. If it was just standard 1080 resolution my current setup would max everything out. But i7-5960x + GM200 maxwell titan 2 will fully max me out at 2560x1600 for the games i play no problem. And who knows maybe just maybe it will overclock really well and hit close to max oc of the 4 core haswells

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Damn it Veteran you beat me too it, was going to post that exact screenshot as well.

I moved over from X58 to Z87 and to be honest, its not really that much faster in games.

I do notice my minimum fps has improved by about 5% depending on the games. BF4 for example in DX11 maxed out on x58 4.2GHz and same exact spec as here now I got minimum of 44fps in 64 player servers with **** going crazy. Now with same settings but 4770K at 4.5GHz and my minimum has risen to 55fps when everything is going crazy. Mantle brings this up to a solid 60fps consistent.

This is mainly due to haswell having better raw core performance, a higher overclock, and the fact that BF4 is heavily CPU focused.

The upgrade was worth it though, it didn't break the bank like X79 would have, it gave me USB3, SATA3, PCIE3, better overclocking, a much much better motherboard too in terms of layout, design, and of cource UEFI bios... oh god where have you been all my life UEFI! lol

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    UEFI... :rolleyes:
    I'd surely go for PCIe 3, SATA3 and probably USB3.1, but after all, it's mine is a gaming rig. Not much use in USB, and the other things just for loading times and performance hehe

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I must be one of the only people who dont like UEFI, its slow and cumbersome. I move the mouse to the side and use good old keys, much faster:)
    @CPC yeah there aint a great difference for gaming, still nice to go X99 but i think the sweet spot will be the 5930k. I wouldnt bother with the 8 core unless your gonna use it.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's literally just a gui for people scared of the old bios looks. Nothing they offer that couldn't have been done with a normal bios...