Custom Refresh Rates and Power State?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by b0uncyfr0, Aug 15, 2014.

1. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Hi guys, i decided to play around with my 27EA63V today and managed to push the refresh rate from 60hz (default) to 74 without any effort. I had read that some people may notice a difference between 60/75 so i thought i'd try it out. This presented a new problem though.

My 570 seems to be stuck in 3d mode whenever a custom refresh rate is used. Ive tested 61hz and 75hz, both push the card to maximum power. Is this normal?

Is it possible to use a custom refresh rate without having it push the card to maximum power state?

2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    What are you using to create a custom refresh rate?

3. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Does maximum power state actually draw more power if you're still idle?

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'd expect it to do so, although not like full 3d load. More like, a little more ;)
    But then again, it's more power, and more heat, making fans spin faster etc.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which port - DVI, DP, HDMI - do you use to connect monitor to videocard?

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What timings are you using? Pushing too low will not allow the graphics card to idle at 2D clocks.

7. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    Wow thanks for the replies. I actually forgot to check back after a few days as i hadnt gotten any replies yet. Ill provide as much information as i can:

a) Im using the Nvidia control panel to make the custom resolutions/ refresh rate.

b) I believe maximum power state is still drawing more power in idle since the temperature has increased from 37 to 50 degrees. Ideally though, without some testing equipment, i wouldn't know how else to verify this.

c) I have two monitors connected to my 570. For the one im forcing 75hz on (My Main 27") i use HDMI and for my secondary i use HDMI/Mini-HDMI.

d) Currently at 75hz i have these timings : [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014