Intel G328 ok for Gaming?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by nz3777, Aug 14, 2014.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Hello guys iam looking for some feedback from users that have this cpu, I heard they are capable prossesors at certin games, Iam more into older games and flight sims also a die hard fan of the Metro series so it needs to do well on those titles.Budget is my only weak point I dont have alot to spend $60 dollars for this cpu is a great deal, I also need a motherboard as well what can you recommend? Thank you for your time.

I came from a Amd Fx 9370 cpu, Nvidia Gtx 580 gpu, I have a case, corsair hx 850 watt power supply, I have a 120 gb ssd, 1Tb hdd, I can use in the new build I just need cpu,motherboard and a capable Graphics card something a liitle faster then my old Gtx 580.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I guess you mean G3258?

If so, why would you want to swap it for a 9370@5 GHz?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even though AMD currently doesn't perform as well as the equivalent Intel (although they do have something in the works, apparently), the FX9370 would be faster.

4. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    If you play flight sims, I think a delid, OC'ed to the max G3258K would be a great cpu since most are only dual thread at best and those games need an incredibly FAST and efficient cpu core.

But the Metro series is really quad core optimized in that it will use 4-8 cores/thread at the fastest possible speeds at low resolution. A dual core cpu won't be good for it and will be limited when the new reboots come out.

If you intend to play Crysis 3, BF4 / Frostbite engine games, you should stick with your current if you can OC it and upgrade your video card for more VRAM and power.

Checkout what cpuboss thinks about your cpu vs the G series core cpu:
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-G3258-vs-AMD-FX-9370

If you really intend on upgrading, then do it so you don't buy less than what you have now which would be an i5-4690K quad core Haswell. OC it up to 4.5-4.6 GHZ (average) and you should good for those games. But you still need a faster GPU for Metro at 1080 at maxed out settings.

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I Iam not really into games like Battlefield on account of being the same thing all over again just a new chapter, thats why I stick to more original games.

I sold my Fx 9370 system I no longer have it, seeing the Intel p is only $60 dollars I would like to give Intel a shot this time around.I need a decent Motherboard what do you guys recommend? Will this cpu be able to push 1 high end gpu, thats really my only concern.My other choice would have been a Amd apu but again this is all about money.I think Intel was really slick releasing a cpu at this price point so they can compete better with Amd.I might upgrade the cpu later on down the line but for now if it can game decently i will be happy for the time being.

The Gpus ive considerd so far......Nvidia Gtx 660ti, Radeon R9 290 or 290x used, or possibly a used Gtx 780?

Thank you guys for the reply,I really miss my system ive resorted to playing xbox 360 in the mean time I just wanna cry so I need to set this up ASAP lol.

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    OK well the G3258 is definitely a good processor for the money if you are planning on overclocking.

Even if you overclock, there is no doubt that it would not be as fast in a lot of games as a quad core, especially with a top-end GPU. As long as you are OK with that, go for it. As you said, you can always upgrade later to a quad core.

As for mobo, I would recommend Asrock H97 Pro4 Intel H97. ASrock are high quality, good value and good overclocking boards nowadays.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I don't recommend you even bother. G3220 @ 3GHz bottlenecks almost everything apart from 2 games I have found so far that work well, Dark Souls II and Trine 2.

If you're aiming for 60FPS, it can be done with several games on an OCed G3258, but I've found the G3220 can very, very easily be saturated with almost 100% usage across both cores.

Conclusion, better stick to the cheapest i5 non-K than going for the Pentium series for any gaming.

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    MB - Asrock z97 Extreme4 or Gigabyte z97 Gaming 5 would be my minimum recommended motherboards if you will overclock. Good basic features, all can support CFX or SLI and the VRM are MORE than you need for an OC'ed cpu. This will support quad core in the future if you need more cpu power even when Oc'ed.

You WILL need a new aftermarket cooler if you really plan to OC the cpu. The stock heatsink cannot cool down a cpu running ALL (not staggersed) cores @ 4.4-4.6 GHZ maxed out so that is additional money you need to think about.

The key is buy a little more than you need so you have better efficiency and your system will also last longer.

But I do agree with Yasamoka. Get the cheapest quad core you can buy now so you don't even worry about it later. The core i5 would be a better buy unless you are so strapped for cash.

9. twinto23

twinto23 Guest

GPU:
    8G ddr3 1600
    Well, it just a "pentium" cpu
    I will not say it good for gaming
    but good for overclocking

if you looking for gaming cpu, all based on the game you want to play
    if you do play some facebook games or league of legends
    I think g3258 + h81m-p33 + nvidia 730
    you can doing well on this combo

but if you want to play watch dogs with g3258?
    please give up lol

you can check the news on Toms' hardware
    they do talk about the g3258 and msi h81m-p33 combo
    is the cheapest cpu+mb combo ever!!!

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I recently upgraded my mates P4 rig, after looking online we got him;

2nd hand-
    i7 920 (D0) $50
    ASUS Sabertooth X58 $200
    3x 1GB Corsair XMS $30

New-
    CM Hyper 212 Evo (new) $50.
    Silverstone Strider 500W $80

Total= $410

GTX 460 & 500GB Seagate were carried over from the old system.

The 920 OC'd easily to 4Ghz w/ 1.25v, we left HT off as not needed atm.
    The only games he has installed right now are FEAR and iracing, but both run 60-120fps maxed out. The P4 struggled to hit 40 in iRacing with other cars on the track.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014