Possible driver error - Or faulty GFX?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mp_3, Aug 12, 2014.

1. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Greetings,

I have had a lot of problems with my MSI N580GTX TWIN FROZR II/OC.

Now the problems has escalated and I see crashes with BSOD more often. Today I have had three.

I want to find out if it is caused by a faulty GFX and therefore has to be replaced.

Here is the latest BSOD reports.

I hope that you guys are able to help me figure out this issue.

2. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    What have you tried so far? Which OS are you running? Which drivers have you tried? Etc.

3. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    I haven't tried much because I don't where to start or go to, but I can tell that the problem occurs both when gaming and just idling on the desktop.

I am running Windows 7 Pro and I got the latest driver from nVIdia (9.18.13.4052).

Here is a total summary of my system: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0O1A4RaMQcKx6Y0FDKMK4Vl

4. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    I would try cleaning your driver out using Display Driver Uninstaller (link on the downloads section of this site) followed by running the installer on the CD that came with your video card. The 580s/560s - in my own experience and the experience of others on this site - do not always react well with the newest drivers, especially when OCed. If installing the older drivers does not fix the problem, try lowering the CPU and memory clocks to reference settings since your card has a factory OC.

5. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    I have heard the one about lowering the clocks before and that doesn't quite cut it.

It can't be true that one buy a graphics card and then have to alter the clock frequenzy to get it to work. The same rules for the driver.

It just have to spin without any problems. Which is why I am trying to figure out whether or not a replacement is required.

6. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Why is it not possible that when a card is factory OCed you may have to lower it to get it to not crash? There is no standard for how much a vendor can put an OC on a card, and no guarantee that the OC they put on will work 100% of the time. Newer drivers could be more efficient and load the card more than the company was able to when originally testing their OC. Nvidia only does their driver testing using reference cards, not OCed ones. There is no expectation from Nvidia that any OC will always keep working. Nvidia themselves do not sell any overclocked cards. The OC issues are between the card manufacturer and you - not nvidia - assuming the card works properly when set to reference specs.

7. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    I haven't looked at it that way before, but thanks for pointing that out.

Which software would you prefer to use for the changes the clock frequenzy?

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    give your cpu more juice, the newer optimized drivers seem to need it.

9. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Weren't they supposed to do the opposite? ._.

And yeah I did see some benches where the newer drivers had slightly lower cpu scores.

10. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    I would use Afterburner, available to download from this site. As you have a MSI card, it should be fully compatible as it is an MSI branded app. It works with other cards too (I have EVGA and it works great) in case you ever change brands.

11. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    I have tried changing the clock frequenzy to standard as started at nvidia.com.

Also, I have tried giving the card a bit more volt, but this only results in crashes more frequent.

What else could be done? The drivers has also been checked.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    You say it's crashing while sitting in idle?
    As well as in games.

Doubt it is driver related if it crashes while the PC is sat in idle.

Have you done a full malware swoop?

13. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    The Windows is almost newly installed so the malware/virus potential is rather small.

And yes, both when gaming and when in idle.

14. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Do you happen to have access to a video card you could borrow temporarily to see if it is something else in your system causing problems, such as a PSU dying?

15. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Try the driver from msi site or use live update to install the video driver. Use msi afterburner to monitor the status of the card like the temp. usage etc... that will give you tip on what's going on. when you troubleshoot you need input to analyse the situation and take the appropriate action to solved the problem. If it is overclock by msi don't change it. :3eyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Cause it factory OC we should not have to lower clock to get stable, Same goes for Playing with Voltage. IF it not stable coming from the Manufactor then get RMA. It not my job or the end users job to fiqure out if there Factory OC 300$ card is stable that is both the Manufacture and Nvidia job plain and simple.

My recommendation is RMA it that is what i doing with the Gigabyte 660gtx (in uncles pc i built) that is factor OC as it Crashes/BSOD and TDR endlessly.

It not the End users job to find out if there FACTORY OC GPU is stable with its FACTORY OC or if its VOLTAGE is correct.

17. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    I agree to this. Unfortunately the card is too old to RMA and to make use of the warranty.

18. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    What revision is your motherboard and have you checked any HDD/SSD monitoring software to see if everything is alright with your storage?

19. mp_3

mp_3 Guest

GPU:
    CPU-Z validation kan be seen here: http://valid.x86.fr/b9svju

Everything regarding to my storage is OK. I have been checking monitoring software for this.

20. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    OK thanks for that, it is looking more and more likely that it's down to a faulty GPU. I hope you manage to sort it.